Outdoor cooking - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 13:22

My Motorhome: Bailey Autograph 745
We used a Cadac safari for several years but OH hated the fact that it was affects so much by wind. Last year we bought a Calor Gas mini BBQ - cracking bit of kit, not affected by wind at all, stable and a good sized cooking area. We run it from the external gas point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 11:32

My Motorhome: hobby 700
Hi this last week i have just made one ,out of plywood ,you need 3 pieces 15"/15"/3/16 thick plus 2 piano hinges,put the hinges on the back panel with the side panels this way it folds up so it does not take up much room,a German was using on last year so coped it,found towsure gad a good deal on you got a cooking stone for pizza which is very good
MeFeinMcCabe and MeFeinMcCabe like this.
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 11:49

My Motorhome: Bailey Autograph 740
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny View Post
Hi this last week i have just made one ,out of plywood ,you need 3 pieces 15"/15"/3/16 thick plus 2 piano hinges,put the hinges on the back panel with the side panels this way it folds up so it does not take up much room,a German was using on last year so coped it,found towsure gad a good deal on you got a cooking stone for pizza which is very good
OR the three pieces of ply and some of your handy gaffer tape,

Misty

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 12:07

My Motorhome: hobby 700
yea but make sure it folds
mistycat and mistycat like this.
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 13:20

My Motorhome: Adria Twin 640slx
Personal Aire
Hi Kenny, have to agree the pizza stone is very, very good, I'm a bit of a pizza lover, make my own base, and built a wood fired oven in the garden, not the MH!!

curlyboy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Phone 098.JPG (758.2 KB, 15 views)
Harrers, Harrers, aogrady and 3 others like this.

Retired living in Cornwall and the Camper!
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 15:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat View Post
I'd like to fit an underslung tank, but my chassis doesn't lend it self to that.
You sure about that Tuggers. They come in lots of different shapes and sizes, and there's nothing against using two little ones linked together if that's all you can fit in. http://autogasleisure.co.uk/gastanks.html

Back on topic, we have been through the lot, and decided to go back to (very) basics. A single burner with the disposable cartridges that you can find everywhere, and a cast iron griddle. OK - it's not a barbecue, but very often we see people using their Cadacs or Beauclares in just that way with a griddle plate on top, so what's the difference!

Ours is very small to store, and the griddle plate is dead easy to clean - a huge disadvantage with many "proper" barbecues.

Dave
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 16:11

My Motorhome: Bessacarr E725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
You sure about that Tuggers. They come in lots of different shapes and sizes, and there's nothing against using two little ones linked together if that's all you can fit in. http://autogasleisure.co.uk/gastanks.html

Back on topic, we have been through the lot, and decided to go back to (very) basics. A single burner with the disposable cartridges that you can find everywhere, and a cast iron griddle. OK - it's not a barbecue, but very often we see people using their Cadacs or Beauclares in just that way with a griddle plate on top, so what's the difference!

Ours is very small to store, and the griddle plate is dead easy to clean - a huge disadvantage with many "proper" barbecues.

Dave
Hi Dave,

I had in mind to fit a tank following the method that Andy (techno100) used.

Trouble is, the only clear bay within my chassis is directly forward of the rear axle (the rest have tanks, exhaust, handbrake cables etc), and the mounting structures for the rear suspension seem to me to be in the way (ALKO). I thought I had taken some photos, but apparently not. When this weather clears up a bit and it's dry enough to get underneath, I'll post up some pics and see if anyone can offer advice.

Fitting through the floor using a standard bracket doesn't work 'cos the bolts would be visible between the furniture. I think I need to address the idea again, as it would give me a lot more freedom time-wise out in the islands, plus it would free up the gas locker for storing other stuff.

I'm daft and proud of it.
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 16:15

My Motorhome: Elddis Accordo 125
Quote:

Dave
We follow a similar principle. Single burner stove but screwed into the top of a Camping Gaz cylinder. It takes various pans including a griddle pan. Here's what I mean http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cadac-2710F-.../dp/B00P6LNNWU ; blow me if it isn't a Cadac!!
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat View Post
Trouble is, the only clear bay within my chassis is directly forward of the rear axle (the rest have tanks, exhaust, handbrake cables etc), and the mounting structures for the rear suspension seem to me to be in the way (ALKO).
Our previous van was like that, but Chris Wise at Autogas 2000 managed to fit a 30 litre (24 litre gas content) tank, and a cracking good job he made of it too.

He has bespoke cradles for the tanks which bolt directly onto the chassis. A fiddly job, but not exactly rocket science and they are very sturdy! They make a "brick outhouse" job of it. I don't know if he would be willing to sell you a couple? You could always make all the gas connections and get them checked and certified by a qualified gas fitter - just for peace of mind and insurance purposes.

Sorry for off topic - the next poster can pull it back!!

Dave
tugboat and tugboat like this.
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 16:28

My Motorhome: Elddis Accordo 125
Quote:

Sorry for off topic - the next poster can pull it back!!

Dave
Look, I've already tried that and then look what you did
Zebedee and Zebedee like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page