Do you remember these watches? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2021, 09:47 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Do you remember these watches?

The watch Hans bought me for Ģ18.00 many moons ago has decided itīs time I had a new one, itīs kaput.

Before I had this watch we both had the Ģ2.00 battery watches garages used to sell, does anyone else remember them? They lasted a couple of years or maybe more.
Internet has a lot of information, but I canīt find anything regarding these watches.
marchie likes this.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2021, 10:37

Who can forget them? I've had a Casio since 1993, given to me when I filled up our car with petrol in Torquay, Australia prior to our drive along The Great Pacific Road. I've worn it on every fishing trip I've been on since then, it has been in and out of bait tanks thousands of times and still keeps perfect time to this day. From when it was given to me I have only replaced the battery once.
JanHank and marchie like this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2021, 11:29

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,172 Times in 1,107 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
I have never bought a watch. My brother gave me an Omega when I was 21, a fantastic watch, about the same size and thickness as an old penny, his pride and joy, it kept pretty good time for a wind-up, It wasn't new when I got it, he had bought a Rolex and knew I liked the Omega. I have no idea what happened to it though, I'm not a watch wearer usually so only for special occasions, but I went to put it on 20 or so years ago and it had gone, box and everything, I was mortified as it was the only thing he ever gave me, he'd gone by then so I didn't have to tell him.
fdhadi and marchie like this.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2021, 11:39

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,257 Times in 1,088 Posts
Personal Aire
Is there a photo or something missing Jan? What kind of watch is it?

I havent worn one for over a decade. Not so much of a need now when your phone displays the time I guess.

I have two sat in a draw. A rather nice Seiko I inherited from my uncle and a lovely Rotary Watch my now long gone Mother in Law bought me. The Rotary is really retro old school but it was water proof to 200m. I accidently tested it once. It fell off my wrist when the strap broke getting on my boat when it was on Windermere Marina. It was in about 15 feet of water and I could see it but couldn't find anything to retrieve it and I was buggered if I was going to attempt to swim for it. It was there for over three weeks. I could see it every time I went back to the boat but couldnt hook it with anything. Eventually I got this telescopic golf ball retriever with a metal thing on the end for picking up golf balls out of ponds and I managed to snag it in that and slowly bring it back to the surface. Nearly a month in the water and it was absolutely fine.
raynipper, Pudsey_Bear and JanHank like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2021, 11:46

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanHank View Post
The watch Hans bought me for Ģ18.00 many moons ago has decided itīs time I had a new one, itīs kaput.

Before I had this watch we both had the Ģ2.00 battery watches garages used to sell, does anyone else remember them? They lasted a couple of years or maybe more.
Internet has a lot of information, but I canīt find anything regarding these watches.
Wot watch?
Who said it was a Casio?
I do have an old wind up from 1960 that still works and had a date.

Ray.

The FSA formerly SIB & PIA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifeīs savings. Guess what? He robbed us of Ģ750,000. So they changed their name again to the FCA.
http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

Last edited by raynipper; 05-12-2021 at 12:27.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2021, 12:07 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
I donīt have one now, but Drew does, maybe he will be kind enough to show us a picture if we are very nice to him.

I'm Jan
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2021, 15:52

My Motorhome: I drive...Burstner Ixeo 590 IT Time Sovereign
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudsey_Bear View Post
I have never bought a watch. My brother gave me an Omega when I was 21, a fantastic watch, about the same size and thickness as an old penny, his pride and joy, it kept pretty good time for a wind-up, It wasn't new when I got it, he had bought a Rolex and knew I liked the Omega. I have no idea what happened to it though, I'm not a watch wearer usually so only for special occasions, but I went to put it on 20 or so years ago and it had gone, box and everything, I was mortified as it was the only thing he ever gave me, he'd gone by then so I didn't have to tell him.

My brother gave me an Omega. I gave him Omicron ... [I've waited 52 years to be able to use my O Level Ancient Greek ...]

Steve
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2021, 15:54 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchie View Post
My brother gave me an Omega. I gave him Omicron ... [I've waited 52 years to be able to use my O Level Ancient Greek ...]

Steve
I think this bloke should join fruitcakes, or maybe not, heīs funny in the nicest possible way.
marchie likes this.

I'm Jan
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2021, 18:17
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
I wear a Timex which I bought over 20 years ago. It started out as 'gold' plated but is now completely silver as its worn off. It still keeps excellent time and cost me less than 30 quid I think. The same model can be bought today for 40 quid.

I also have a Sekonda Quartz which doesn't work and was my late fathers watch which I have been meaning to get reconditioned for years. Maybe this thread will remind me to do it as it's about the only thing of his I have to remember him by.
marchie likes this.

Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. —Greg King

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2021, 18:23 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
So it seems only Drew remembers the Ģ2.00 watches you could buy from garages, you other lot ate obviously far too young.
marchie likes this.

I'm Jan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page