Elderly relative - your ideas please - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-11-2021, 13:23 Thread Starter
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
Elderly relative - your ideas please

My father in law is 83 and lives by himself in a semi. His bedroom and only bathroom/toilet are upstairs. He is the nicest bloke you could meet and has a great sense of humour. He is also the most stubborn bloke you could meet and his default answer to any question/suggestion is "no no no no..." He will not accept help from anyone for anything as he values his independence.

He has really dodgy knees which means his mobility is severely impeded. He has started to use a stick when walking but that's it. He only goes food shopping every 2 weeks now as its too much effort to go every week.

In the early hours of yesterday morning he awoke in his armchair (having fallen asleep) at 4.30 in the morning. Upon getting up to go to bed he fell and was not discovered by concerned neighbours until 10.00am having spent the 5.5 hours on the floor as he couldn't get up. Fortunately he hasn't physically hurt himself. it transpires that this isn't the first time he has fallen.

Now, as a result of this we have to get him to make changes in his life whether he likes it or not. He is going to hate this but strong conversations have to be had. We cannot pop down every 2 mins as he lives 150 miles from us. Our son pops in regularly as he only lives 15 miles or so away. He does have good neighbours but he needs to help himself as well.

As a result of the above so far we have decided upon the following...

- I have ordered an alarm call/fall monitoring system which I shall take with me next Saturday when I visit him. It's like a wristwatch but if he falls his house will be called by the monitors. If he does not reassure them they will ring his list of contacts who will come round to check on him

- I contacted Social services but they can do nothing unless he agrees.

- My son is picking up a couple of walking frames tomorrow or him: one for the downstairs next to where he sits and one for his bedroom. These are just so he has something to lean on when he gets up out of his chair or bed.

- A neighbour is installing an external key safe so they can get access if needed.

- I will install a grab rail next to his chair as an extra to the walking frame.

- My wife will be contacting his Dr tomorrow to arrange a home visit.

- When I visit him I'll be having several chats concerning a stair lift; social services; Power of Attorney etc etc

So the question is...can you think of anything else we can do/try?

Any sensible suggestions welcome.

ta
erneboy likes this.

Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. óGreg King

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-11-2021, 14:36

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,149 Times in 1,085 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Sounds pretty comprehensive Graham, and I'm sure you will also come up with other ideas, one I would suggest is online shopping if he has the capacity for that or maybe a close neighbour could go around with a laptop and do it with/for him.
patp and ChrisandJohn like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pudsey_Bear For This Useful Post:
GMJ (07-11-2021)
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-11-2021, 14:39 Thread Starter
GMJ

Personal Aire
Thanks Kev

I'll discuss that next Saturday. He doesn't have t'internet despite being with BT since they were the GPO! I have tried over the years to sort out his bills for the phone, gas and electric as he stayed with the "gas board" and the "electricity board" since they were privatised...as well as BT. He is the classic person who is on their worst rates as we know they don't reward loyalty.

My son can easily do that with him.
patp likes this.

Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. óGreg King

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-11-2021, 15:13

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,149 Times in 1,085 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
I was going to suggest that or even you could do it too you don't need to be there, just set up an account and have a chat once a week about what he wants, of course then we get on to how much longer he can cook for himself and get in and out of the bath/shower, it comes to us all myself included.
patp likes this.
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-11-2021, 17:05

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
That's difficult fo you Graham, but you seem to have most things covered as best you can. Good luck with it. At least he isn't driving, stopping that and telling them they will have to have full time care are the hardest things I think.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
The Following User Says Thank You to erneboy For This Useful Post:
GMJ (07-11-2021)
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-11-2021, 17:37

My Motorhome: I drive...Burstner Ixeo 590 IT Time Sovereign
Personal Aire
'Sell' the extra support to Dad, not as an admission that he has 'failed' [wounded pride is a strange thing!], but more of a way of keeping his independence, for the donkey's years he is going to be around, independent with necessary support, rather than having to consider going into residential care. A proud man, in possession of his full faculties, will have been frightened by the prolonged time before he was discovered, so the reassurance that this will not repeated, but that his independence will not be threatened will maintain his dignity and pride.

I had conversations with my parents, 'It's not for you, because I know you stubborn old buggers are old enough, daft enough and ugly enough to look after yourselves' It's to save me from worrying and having to drive 300 miles each way if there is a problem ... So there. Let me do something to help you, for once. You stubborn old sod' etc etc

Steve
erneboy, patp and Webby1 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to marchie For This Useful Post:
GMJ (07-11-2021)
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-11-2021, 18:02

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
While walking frames give greater stability my mother ended up relying on hers just that little too much and toppled over with it and broke many bones. That was virtually the end.

Ray.
patp likes this.

The FSA formerly SIB & PIA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifeīs savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. So they changed their name again to the FCA.
http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-11-2021, 19:05

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
The alarm you mention Graham, Is it just monitoring him or can he initiate to call for help like a pager if he is incapacitated? If not maybe a pager on an inconspicuous lanyard might be reassuring,
patp likes this.

Dick
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-11-2021, 19:13 Thread Starter
GMJ

Personal Aire
No problem with that Ray - we'll be lucky if he uses it just for support to get up out of the chair. The young 'un is taking them to him tomorrow hopefully and he (the young 'un) is a cheeky blighter so may well get away with it. I've told him to put one in his granddads bedroom to make sure its up there.

I also told him to get the money for them as if FiL knows he's paid for it, then he'll maybe use it as he does not like waste.

What is massively frustrating is that we had a stair lift in our last house for Mrs GMJ. When we had it put in my FiL offered to pay for it (I told you he was a nice bloke) but we refused, not wanting to take money off a pensioner etc etc. When we had it taken out 5 years later as we were moving house we offered it to him and he refused. Had he paid for it originally we think he would have had it re-installed in his house as he hates waste and would have originally paid for it!

Thanks for the other words/support/suggestions folks
erneboy and patp like this.

post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-11-2021, 19:20

My Motorhome: Burstner Delphin Performance T821
Personal Aire
If his mobility is not so good, why not try him on CBD oil. It really works.

Vitality CBD products are now stocked by Asda and Tesco. Some are also stocked by Lloyds pharmacy (with a huge mark up). Try the 2400 strength which costs £30 at Supermarkets. You could also order them online if you want.

Nil Desperandum Illegitemide Carborundum
The Following User Says Thank You to 747 For This Useful Post:
GMJ (08-11-2021)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page