Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Smartphone for photos

3K views 78 replies 13 participants last post by  Pudsey_Bear 
#1 ·
I have an iPhone 6s plus. I had a new battery, but it still doesn't last long even when I´m not using the phone, just overnight it looses 20% or more at times.

I´ve tried switching off all the things the YouTube guys say, but its still the same.

SO, as I take a lot of photos with the iPhone, don´t often use it for forums only WhatsApp and Facebook messenger which smartphone would you recommend ? I don´t treat myself to much so price doesn't come into it :grin2:.

#4 ·
I've been very happy with my Samsung S9.

If you've had a new battery, the power loss must be down to underlying activity (assuming battery is not faulty). I go into Settings now and again and find apps chuntering away that I'm not using. I may have opened them once, and then they have kept running in the background unseen. Also, each time I look at something new it effectively opens up another browser, so there may be 20 or more browsers open. Eventually it reaches a limit and the oldest one shuts down as a new one opens, but it's all using power. On my phone there is an icon in the bottom corner that allows you to close as many as you like. I don't know if iphone has the same.

I dunno why I'm saying all this, you are far more able with pooters and stuff than I am!

#6 ·
The Wife has just had a new battery in her iPhone6S. This is the advice she got for battery life.

Charge it until it shows 100% then leave it charging at least 1 more hour.
Use it until the battery is totally flat.
Charge it fully + at least one hour.
Then use as normal.

#8 ·
The Wife has just had a new battery in her iPhone6S. This is the advice she got for battery life.

Charge it until it shows 100% then leave it charging at least 1 more hour.
Use it until the battery is totally flat.
Charge it fully + at least one hour.
Then use as normal.
I think they advise that on new batteries Jim, thats what I had to do with this one, let it completely drain 3 times although I thought that had stopped being necessary a few years back.

#7 ·
Tugs.
I have gone through the whole thing again on Youtube with the 2 chaps who are Apple "experts". and there were a few things they suggested that I hadn´t done, so now we will see how it behaves.

Jean.
Sometimes the battery is full before I go to bed so I unplug it and in the morning its lost some. Like now its down to 30% ao I will plug it in and by the time I go to bed it will be full.

#11 ·
You don't need to spend big bucks on an initial 'smart' phone Pat. Well under £100 will get you one that does most of what us mere mortals need to keep in touch on many levels.

I am just haggling with a Chinese seller who sent me the wrong size phone. I find I like the larger screens and can't handle the smaller ones too well. So a £75, 6.8" or 7" modest supermarket or online seller will do. imho

Ray.

#12 ·
I'm happy with my Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, does it all, mini puter in me pok.

I think to see all open stuff on fruit-based devices you tap the button a few times and it shows a cascade of open programs and you can swipe them off one at a time.

Reactions: patp
#14 ·
#18 ·
The difficulty lies in what you can do with a smartphone versus what it can do, until you actually have one for a while you don't realise the depth of the many and varied apps there are to make life easier, it is important to get one where you can add a good sized micro SD card as the phone memory can fill up quite quickly.

Reactions: patp and raynipper
#19 ·
Agreed Kev and all the dual SIM cheap Chinese ones I have had are able to accommodate a 32GB micro card.

Ray.

#20 ·
Mine has a 128gb card in as I take lots of pictures when away, quite often in burst mode which is 64 rapid shots at one go so like a mini video but much closer together.

#21 ·
Weight: 227g
Dimensions: 165.1 x 75.6 x 8.9 mmOS:
Android 11Screen size: 6.8-inch
Resolution: 1440 x 3200CPU:
Snapdragon 888 / Exynos 2100
RAM: 12GB / 16GBStorage: 128GB/256GB/512GB
Battery: 5,000mAh
Rear camera: 108MP + 10MP + 10MP + 12MP
Front camera: 40MP

I only have 64GB on my iPhone and still have 38.02 GB Available after removing photos to an external drive so 128/256 or 512GB should cover everything without an extra SD card I think.

#22 ·
One other thing I will say, the cheaper phone screens are not so good in bright sunlight.

Ray.

#23 ·
I had one like that, I bought a matte screen off ebay, I have them on my tablets too.

#28 ·
I will have to think more about this subject, the S6 plus does take decent photos, but I have seen others that are better, maybe its the photographer at fault not the tool.
My nephew has taken some really lovely close ups of bees on the flowers in his garden with a Samsung S8 I expect it also depends on the subject your trying to capture.

#27 ·
I would like to Nik but by the time I have orientated, tapped the wake, then camera and worked out which way and tab, the moment has often passed.
My old Casio strapped to my hip can be whipped out and 'fired' in seconds.

Mind you when it rarely rings I can sometimes tap the wrong tab and cut the caller off.

Ray.

Reactions: nickkdx and patp
#30 ·
Yes Alan, I am going to put this on hold, the battery problem maybe because the replacement it is not an Apple battery and the phone itself is a reconditioned, I wouldn't buy a new one because I didn´t really think I needed a smartphone :smile2: Now I know I do especially for photos I thought I would treat myself to something better, but I am not going to go into it blind as I did the first time, I have learnt a bit in the 2 years I have had it, not a lot, but a bit.

I think if I have another iPhone the new one will be easy to transfer to automatically or won´t it? I´m thinking out loud again.

#31 ·
You might find the switch to Android from Apple a bit of a PIA Jan. I dont know much about modern smartphones to be honest but I do know it was PIA transferring from my old iPhone to Android but to be honest I do prefer the Samsung now. Mines an old Galaxy Note 3 I think. Donated to me by Eurajohn on here and its been terrific but if you are used to how Apple stuff works and all your other stuff is Apple you might want to stay with Apple.

I noticed the battery on mine is not lasting as long so I bought a replacement and its just the same. I think the issue with old phones and laptops is if you replace the battery chances are its a cheap copy and has probably been on the shelves for years.

#32 ·
I seem to be in the middle of trying to 'advise' two sis in laws who both feel the need to go 'smart' phones now.
Great as I now have two new ones as spares.
The latest one which was supposed to be a 7.1" and arrived as a 6.1" for £52.99 they have now offered a £30 refund and I keep the phone.

Ray.

#37 ·
As I said press the button a few times and all open apps will be there, most apps don't close on their own, on proper phones the left button shows them all.

Reactions: patp and eurajohn
#38 ·
"Although you may already know, freeing up RAM memory is something that both Android and iOS do by default and you should generally not worry about this. However, there are cases where it is necessary to do so."

Ray.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.