Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Import duty con.

613 views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  raynipper 
#1 · (Edited)
Since Jan.1st. and the Brexit drawbridge went up I find just about everything I want to buy in UK and have posted to me in France now carries an extra 25% so called import duty.

This has been bugging me as the 'duty' is calculated and added to the purchase price now automatically as well as various extortionate postage rates.

If an item has already incurred VAT in UK why am I being changed another 25% so called import duty into Europe collected by the UK seller? It's tax on tax.

Ray.

p.s. An "import fees deposit", meanwhile, is now automatically added to orders from continental Europe placed via Amazon's UK website, nearly doubling the cost of some items and making it significantly cheaper to find an EU alternative.

Reactions: Penquin
#2 ·
Presumably, if / when we ever get back to the UK we will be able to request VAT free purchases for export to France ? I remember seeing this in places like John Lewis and have a friend who used that frequently as he was living in Nairobi at the time, he said it was very easy, you just had to produce the receipts s you left the UK with the goods and nothing further was done...........

#3 ·
Yes Dave I do remember the 'tax free' shops in the Edgeware Road.
But someone must be pocketing millions now with this double tax on tax even on second hand items. It's a con.

Ray.

Reactions: patp
#8 ·
I was pleasantly surprised last week when my order of 18 bottles of Mosel red did not attract any duties. The P&P and delivery by UPS was €40 compared to the pre Brexit €25 euro by DHL. It worked out at a total of £6.70 a bottle and I am happy to pay that to get wine I like. The Weinmeister is a great bloke and you make payment after delivery. How trusting is that when supplying to a foreign country?

#7 ·
I thought we could all bring up to £137 value goods into UK tax free?

Ray.

#9 ·
Thats great ray but I'm still feeling conned. Just had this from an e-bay seller...................................

Ebay operates as the freight forwarder, and we don't get proof of export - for VAT purposes, this is a UK sale (from a UK address to a UK address). Any additional duty & fees are opaquely collected by ebay as part of the GSP. I'm sorry we're no able to help you with your request this time.

So it looks like e-bay are charging tax. I wonder where it ends up?

Ray.

#11 ·
Looks like they are tinkering round the edges ray. Doesn't help exporters understand the rules. It's easier to just say no or price to cover every eventuality.

Ray.

#12 ·
Just had a long 'chat' with obviously a call centre for e-bay and really just went round in circles while at first they denied it, then blamed the UK Gov, then the French Gov, then the seller. Kept asking me to give him the item number and he would see I was reimbursed. But I kept telling him the added charges prevented me from buying. He still didn't get it and kept asking for the item number. I repeatedly said it's all items I want to get posted to Europe.
You give up in the end.

Ray.

Reactions: Penquin and patp
#14 ·
Difficult with a small computer Pat. But some smaller sellers don't use the Global Shipping Program. They are the robbers.

Ray.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.