Saving the planet from Pollution. - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-04-2021, 09:18 Thread Starter

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Saving the planet from Pollution.

I guess we all like to feel we are doing our bit by recycling and not chucking things away that can be reused or recycled. At least we do.

But personally I get quite annoyed seeing not only litter strewn about but so much recyclable materials just dropped into the general rubbish bins.
We take the trouble to bag all glass, plastics and cartons to take to the recycling bins in each village. But too many people can't be bothered and so often as we drop our kitchen waste into the household bin at the top of our lane we see heaps of bottles both glass and plastic. Grrrrrrrrr.

Ray.
erneboy, patp and GMJ like this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-04-2021, 09:59

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
During the summer months when cyclist and walkers are using the Dam by the river I have a bag and rubber gloves in my bumbag to collect other peoples rubbish, yes it is very annoying Ray, they can carry bottles and packets of sweets or other food when they are full, but it´s too much to carry them empty. Paper hankies are also often thrown away as well.
patp and raynipper like this.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-04-2021, 10:48
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
When I was teaching Business Ethics, I used to do a poll of my students (aged 17-1 regarding their attitude to recycling and how green they were. Considering they are supposed to be the 'woke' generation, it was surprising that they would only rate themselves around 7 out of 10 in terms of this subject.

My son also rated himself around the same level (I taught him for 2 years) despite the fact that he had great examples at home as were are avid recyclers. When he used to clean his room out he would just dump all his detritus into a black bin bag! No attempt to sort the recycling out. He is 23 now and now he lives on his own I think he does recycle now.

We now live in the middle of nowhere but every so often around 4-5 miles up our country road , I see the discarded remains of a McDonalds meal: paper cup, lid and straw, burger carton etc. As the nearest McD's is in Carmarthen which is 18 miles from home, I figure it takes whomever is doing it, that long to eat it before they bung it out the window. Makes my p1ss boil it does!

Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. —Greg King

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-04-2021, 18:17

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
I've just taken up litter picking on my local walkway and yesterday faced a bit of a quandary. There was a glass bottle in the grass. I lifted it into my sack.

When I get to my destination I tie up the binbag n leave beside the bin (it's too big to fit in).

So, given that I've no intention of rustling thro the contents - which include disintegrating sacks of dog poo as well as other poo wrapped in napkins - should I have left the bottle where it was? Or left it where I did?

I've emailed the refuse dept to ask their advice.

Jean
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-04-2021, 18:30

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwawa View Post
I've just taken up litter picking on my local walkway and yesterday faced a bit of a quandary. There was a glass bottle in the grass. I lifted it into my sack.

When I get to my destination I tie up the binbag n leave beside the bin (it's too big to fit in).

So, given that I've no intention of rustling thro the contents - which include disintegrating sacks of dog poo as well as other poo wrapped in napkins - should I have left the bottle where it was? Or left it where I did?

I've emailed the refuse dept to ask their advice.
I think you´re a star for doing what you are doing Jean.

I'm Jan
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-04-2021, 01:44

My Motorhome: Rapido 9048DF
I am not sure that some of our population will ever get the message. This photo was taken in The Range car park which is 100yards away from McDonalds. Staff at The Range had to clear up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1226.jpg (657.7 KB, 7 views)

Dave.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-04-2021, 07:03 Thread Starter

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Typical.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-04-2021, 07:15

I, too, carry a bag on my dog walk. I go through two laybys. One is very deep, and so out of sight behind some trees, the other fairly shallow. The deep one used to be a bit of a dumping ground but there is no bin in it. We cleared it all up and continue to do so. Remarkably it is less of a problem than the one with the bin in it! Having litter picked it the other day I arrived to find the bin full up. I am sure that lorry drivers use it to clear out their cabs as it is never empty for more than a day. This layby then becomes full of cans and bottles and other detritus.

McDonalds have been asked many times to print their customer's car registration number on their packaging. Still waiting.

I am sure there is a shift of attitude when the young become responsible for themselves but they still leave a lot to be desired. Their consumption of plastic is awful.

What do others do that they consider "green" when going about their daily lives - I give a couple of examples and look forward to learning lots more.

I always try to buy glass bottles of things like tomato ketchup and salad cream. They can be stored in the cupboard rather than taking up fridge space too.
I try not to by man made fibres for my clothing. Cotton for summer wear and pure wool for winter wear.
I try not to run the hot tap too often as it has a long run to the sink.
GMJ likes this.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-04-2021, 07:24
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
Our hot water takes an inordinate amount of time to come through as well Pat. Our combi boiler is in the garage so the water has to move some 20-25m or so to get to the kitchen. It does annoy me but the only alternative is boiling the kettle.
patp likes this.

Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. —Greg King

post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-04-2021, 07:32

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMJ View Post
Our hot water takes an inordinate amount of time to come through as well Pat. Our combi boiler is in the garage so the water has to move some 20-25m or so to get to the kitchen. It does annoy me but the only alternative is boiling the kettle.
I have instant hot water supplies to every tap, the timer can be set to when you need hot water the most just like central heating.

https://www.heiz24.de/Vortex-hot-wat...xoC1nAQAvD_BwE
patp, raynipper and GMJ like this.

I'm Jan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page