Smart Meters only benefit Linky. - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 18-02-2021, 15:46 Thread Starter

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Smart Meters only benefit Linky.

I have yet to find or hear from anyone who has actually got any benefits from having a smart meter.
Often they are installed in places you are hardly likely to sit and watch it. Plus after the first five minutes the novelty wears off.

Yes the supply company saves money on meter readers but the Linky company must be making billions and landfill with millions of old analogue meters.

Ray.
patp, Penquin and britcoms like this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 18-02-2021, 16:53

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
I have yet to find or hear from anyone who has actually got any benefits from having a smart meter.
Often they are installed in places you are hardly likely to sit and watch it. Plus after the first five minutes the novelty wears off.

Yes the supply company saves money on meter readers but the Linky company must be making billions and landfill with millions of old analogue meters.

Ray.
Having spent too many years in metering services, they will help in the long run as a wise old guy I worked with once said, “they’ll only become relevant when electricity becomes really really really expensive.” (It hasn’t got there yet)
The more up to date smarts come with a stand alone visual device to keep in a handy location.

At the minute it’s a con and don’t forget it’s the consumer that ultimately pays the cost of the new metering and fitting, with a meter costing about £50-60. A simple single rate analogue meter costs a network company approx £6-7.
We scrapped thousands of pounds worth of meter re-certification equipment as it was cheaper to buy in a new one @£6.
The saving of meter reading costs is a red herring, the biggest elements of bills by far are the generating costs, network costs and suppliers costs. I’ve managed both meter reading, supplier billing and network elements and followed costs very closely.

The ultimate goal in smart metering is for them to independently switch you to the cheapest suppliers deal, year on year or even month to month. Just imagine the carnage that could cause.
The other less published functionality is the potential option to remotely disconnect your supply. Whilst keypad/token meters allow self disconnection, the smart meter enables a supplier 2way coms to the meter to switch you off.

Terry
H1-GBV, erneboy, patp and 1 others like this.

BREXIT built on deceit delivered by liars

The people who passed off a pair of gloves as *two* items of PPE may not be entirely honest.

'Get Brexit Done' anagram - BEING EXTORTED

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.

Last edited by dghr272; 18-02-2021 at 17:27.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 18-02-2021, 17:02 Thread Starter

Yes Terry, I feel they are being 'pushed' a little too hard to benefit the client at all.
My fear at the moment is any service or utility we have changed in France has usually caused us days or weeks of anguish trying to get the service back up and running. 5 weeks for the internet one time and always an increase in tariff. I dread losing our electric tariff as it suits our lifestyle.

Ray.
patp and Penquin like this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 18-02-2021, 17:48

Personal Aire
Quote:
Yes Terry, I feel they are being 'pushed' a little too hard to benefit the client at all.
My fear at the moment is any service or utility we have changed in France has usually caused us days or weeks of anguish trying to get the service back up and running. 5 weeks for the internet one time and always an increase in tariff. I dread losing our electric tariff as it suits our lifestyle.

Ray.
In fairness the U.K. is quite heavily regulated with tight codes of practice relating to things like meter reading, being off supplier, new connections, lack of response to a complaint by a supplier or network operator.
The electricity market opening in GB really fragmented the industry in the name of competition with many suppliers, network companies and data collection companies occupying the same space one company used to. Often the issues now arise through poor communication between then all.
I’ve seen GB suppliers being threatened with removal of their license and/or being heavily fined for poor customer service.
It was often said, tongue in cheek, that it was a great business except for the bl00dy customers. (We in NI were formerly told not to call them consumers)

I could write a book but I’d have to change quite a few names, both staff and customers. Like one customer who was each quarter in trouble for non payment of their bill, only to see them make the front page of a West Belfast newspaper for a very rather excessive front garden Xmas light display.

Terry
patp and raynipper like this.

The people who passed off a pair of gloves as *two* items of PPE may not be entirely honest.

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

The Following User Says Thank You to dghr272 For This Useful Post:
raynipper (18-02-2021)
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 19-02-2021, 07:51

Years ago we borrowed a smart meter from the local library. You could watch it record the usage as various appliances were switched on. It did its job in a couple of days and we discovered, quite quickly, how greedy the kettle was. It went back to the library to be "recycled" into another home where they could discover the same thing.

How green is that? One meter that did the job of thousands of the "fitted" variety. When this smart meter scheme was rolled out I shouted as loud as I could that it was a scam but no one was listening
H1-GBV likes this.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 19-02-2021, 08:27 Thread Starter

It's hardly surprising Pat that a 2,400 watt kettle will take more power than any non heating appliance. But it's only on for 5 mins. Unlike the 3kw immersion hear or 3kw space heaters.
Surely it's so simple to know heat costs more money than other electrical appliances. Why do we need an expensive meter to show this.?

Ray.
H1-GBV likes this.

post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 19-02-2021, 11:16

Personal Aire
Quote:
It's hardly surprising Pat that a 2,400 watt kettle will take more power than any non heating appliance. But it's only on for 5 mins. Unlike the 3kw immersion hear or 3kw space heaters.
Surely it's so simple to know heat costs more money than other electrical appliances. Why do we need an expensive meter to show this.?

Ray.
Here’s one reason that might make them handy for those in power. (Yes I know excuse the pun)

Take the current example of Texas with large areas blacked due to lack of generating capacity due to under investment in standby reserve generation, something the U.K. is heading towards.

If a network had the capacity via smart meter communications to turn large volumes of premises off in rotation for several hours at a time they could minimise the current widespread destruction long uncontrolled power cuts cause.

Another reason to not p1ss off our European neighbours who currently top us up with lecky.

Terry
H1-GBV likes this.

post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 19-02-2021, 11:31 Thread Starter

Yes Terry. If only the 'powers' that be could be honest about it though. All this twaddle telling everyone they can save money by watching how much appliances use.
The US has long known it's power system is fragile and operating close to breakdown all year round in part due to being 110v and their power hungry air con.
Plus now electric cars are being promoted it's only going to compound their problems.

Ray.
patp likes this.

post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 19-02-2021, 11:31

Personal Aire
Quote:

Ray.
It’s not surprising Ray but there’s nothing like the visual or practical experience to make a human think better.

I was involved in the rollout trial of a new keypad prepayment electric meter to NI, the habits of the 200 hundred in the trial was later reflected in the widespread installation of 200k+ such meters. Some forced for bad debt reasons but the majority were requested as word of mouth recommendations spread.

Previous normal rates of consumption were reduced simply by the customer physically having to purchase a 20 digit vend code that was then punched by them into the meter. On the realisation that, “jeez that twenty quid didn’t last long” etc it helped focus the minds on usage.

Terry
Mrplodd likes this.

post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 19-02-2021, 12:18

Reminds me of when we had a pre payment meter as a child. It was a personal vendetta by my dad to not put any more money in it. We could not have the one bar wall mounted electric fire on in the bathroom before we took a bath. "Just duck under the water" he would say, "you'll soon get warm"!
dghr272 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page