User Tag List

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 13-02-2021, 10:05 Thread Starter

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
SIM reliance

As mobile phones dictate more of our activities and we rely on them more and more. Some by choice and some by necessity.
Most of us now have our phones as part of two stage authority of verification codes for any financial dealings and notifications of appointments and payments.

Great all the time we have the phone to hand and your carrier ticks over as usual. But just recently my so called deal for 'life' is being changed without my consent and the new tariff is being imposed upon me. I can either just accept or refuse. But then my carrier can just terminate my 'line' until I agree to anything they say.

I have just tried to argue (in French) that this imposition is not fair and I would like to keep my 'life' deal. Then I was told all mobile carriers were putting up tariffs but we will now benefit with an extra 20GB of data. I rarely use a fraction of my existing data or calls so why on earth would I benefit of more unused calls and data?

But my main concern and they know this is losing my number and SIM as we being tied ever more into dependence of the SIM. Am I the only one worrying about this?

Ray.
patp likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 13-02-2021, 15:19

My Motorhome: Frankia T640 FF2
Switch to Orange Ray, probably be more expensive but at least they have an English speaking helpline to deal with, you can "port" your number without any difficulty.
Arguing in French always ends in disaster.

patp likes this.

John
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 13-02-2021, 16:32 Thread Starter

Have thought about it John but 'porting' an English number is bad enough and I can imagine trying to port a French one would be a nightmare and there is no guarantee I would keep the same number. Then who do you talk to when it's gone?
As I say we are now all so dependent on keeping out existing SIM.

My 'life' long deal was €4.99 a month for 20GB and unlimited calls. No wonder they want to steal it back off me.

Ray.
patp likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 13-02-2021, 17:35

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Your phone number is tied to that particular SIM only as long as you want it to be Ray. If you 'port' your number to a different provider you will definitely keep that number. But you have to follow a set of directions.

At least that's how it works in UK. I'm sure other countries are the same. It's essential for most of us (unless we're dealing drugs?) to keep the same number for our lifetime.
erneboy, patp and raynipper like this.

Jean
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 13-02-2021, 17:55 Thread Starter

Yes Jean I had hoped and planned to keep it as it's the number I give out all the time. I would dread having to get another but 'porting' here is fraught with difficulties. I don't think I date dive in.

Ray.
patp likes this.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 13-02-2021, 20:20

My Motorhome: Frankia T640 FF2
Ray, don't know what horror stories you know of regarding porting numbers here, I've done it twice now and Orange dealt with the whole process quickly and efficiently.
patp and raynipper like this.

John
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 13-02-2021, 21:16 Thread Starter

Thanks John. I have to admit I'm chicken and don't want to risk the abys. Several times I have changed things with French phone companies and been without service for weeks and days. I can do without the anguish and will keep complaining to Bouygues.

Ray.
patp likes this.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 14-02-2021, 08:54

I am with you, Ray! The whole mobile phone thing takes over our lives! I have had several cases where I cannot even complete an online form for an insurance quote unless I fill in the box for mobile phone number. As you all know I do not use a mobile because it does not work in the house (and yes we are working on it). If I give the mobile number out they all want to send texts as "confirmation codes" which I cannot receive. I always try, therefore, to not give it out. Surely I cannot be the only one in the world in a not spot?? What is wrong with sending an email confirmation?

We have now got the fibre to the premises but, like you Ray, are dreading getting into the "port your number" business to our new (old) iphone. It will surely result in them wanting to send multiple texts. I remember it well from the last time we did it. Those feelings of strong frustration are very powerful de motivators.
raynipper likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 14-02-2021, 09:42 Thread Starter

Yes Pat, I have managed to port a UK number we have for 30 years and would not like to lose it. But that was all in English and EAN numbers available.
There have been a few times recently we have tried to access accounts, including Covid vaccine appointments, where we both can't use the same mobile phone number as "The System" insists we have a different mobile number each. So I give them a French one and our English one only to be told the English one is incorrect.

Exasperating as our lives are now governed by AI and tick boxes.
But I can only reiterate the fear of losing either the phone, SIM or account. As we them can't access any financial organisations and many other accounts.

Ray.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 14-02-2021, 12:25

I do so agree! Our lives are being ruled by these organisations that insist on us having a mobile phone.
There are lots of couples, we are one of them, where if it was not for one partner wrestling with the digital system the household would be cast adrift. Chris is still of the opinion that he would like to pay his electricity bill by visiting the Eastern Electricity showroom on the high street! We have several friends, here in Norfolk, that are the same. One chap does not even know how to turn on a computer. He does have a Doro phone but only knows how to answer calls or ring people in his phone book. Chris has a mobile but never (and I do mean never) carries it with him unless I am there to insist.
raynipper likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page