VISA Credit Card Problem. - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 23-01-2021, 15:37 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-t 588
Angry VISA Credit Card Problem.

Hi,
Yesterday, I rang a campsite in Spain to pay a Ä100 deposit with a Nationwide VISA Credit Card, which was declined due to "Foreign currency"???
I also tried my other Mastercard credit card which also declined. I have used both cards in Europe before with no problems.

Anyone else had problems? I've contacted Nationwide but haven't had a reply yet.

Stay Safe.
Al.
patp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 23-01-2021, 16:24

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Gosh, maybe more Brexit worries?
I guess we will all be very interested in this outcome. Both our UK Credit Cards still work as before in France so far.

Ray.
sennen523, patp and britcoms like this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifeīs savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 23-01-2021, 17:33

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Agree with Ray, it could well be because your credit card issuer now requires authorisation to use in Europe now that the UK is not.....

We had similar with our French card when we wanted to buy something from Germany, which was because we had not asked to be able to use it for eg purchases over the phone or Internet i.e. when the cardholder was not present.

Give Nationwide a ring, they are sure to be to advise you, but please let us all know the outcome.
sennen523, patp and britcoms like this.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 23-01-2021, 18:40

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,141 Times in 988 Posts
Personal Aire
I doubt its to do with Brexit otherwise surely others would have reported it by now. Seems odd that its both cards though. Most Visa cards are international I think now. Thats kind of the whole point of them.

I know I had issues a couple of times on mine where I was near to my limit and trying to pay for fuel in France and they try and take a deposit of 100 Euros or something and I didnt have enough and it was declined.
sennen523, patp and dghr272 like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 23-01-2021, 19:55

My Motorhome: I drive...autoroller
Up to now i have only had to notify my bank if i was going to use my cards outside europe used to be by phone but now online i agree with Barry you have to be carefull when buying fuel as the block lasts 2 or3 days
sennen523 and patp like this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 23-01-2021, 23:51

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen523 View Post
Hi,
Yesterday, I rang a campsite in Spain to pay a Ä100 deposit with a Nationwide VISA Credit Card, which was declined due to "Foreign currency"???
I also tried my other Mastercard credit card which also declined. I have used both cards in Europe before with no problems.

Anyone else had problems? I've contacted Nationwide but haven't had a reply yet.

Stay Safe.
Al.
Did you contact Nationwide with a phone call, they can normally answer queries immediately, but I donít think it will be there fault
as they would pay in Ä or any other currency. I would try the campsite again, maybe the person taking your call didnít realise they will be paid in Ä.
sennen523 and patp like this.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 24-01-2021, 08:41

Nationwide have been very careful with our money lately. Had a couple of issues with paying for large items on our building project.

May I ask if you have investigated us all being able to travel to Spain? Feeling very envious of you booking a campsite
sennen523 likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 24-01-2021, 12:58 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patp View Post
Nationwide have been very careful with our money lately. Had a couple of issues with paying for large items on our building project.

May I ask if you have investigated us all being able to travel to Spain? Feeling very envious of you booking a campsite
Hi patp, certainly NOT going yet, but is a deposit for a campsite in February 2022, which we go to every year.

Stay Safe Everyone.
patp likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 24-01-2021, 13:20 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanHank View Post
Did you contact Nationwide with a phone call, they can normally answer queries immediately, but I donít think it will be there fault
as they would pay in Ä or any other currency. I would try the campsite again, maybe the person taking your call didnít realise they will be paid in Ä.
Hi Jan,
Thanks, have just rang Nationwide and it looks like a "merchant error" so will try the campsite again. I'll post the outcome.

Al
patp, EJB, Penquin and 3 others like this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 25-01-2021, 13:09 Thread Starter

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen523 View Post
Hi Jan,
Thanks, have just rang Nationwide and it looks like a "merchant error" so will try the campsite again. I'll post the outcome.

Al
Hi All,
I rang Nationwide who definitely confirmed it's a Merchant error. I then phoned the campsite again and spoke to a receptionist who I know and speaks good English. I did explain that I was paying in Euros. The transaction failed with no message.

Very frustrating.
Stay Safe Everyone.
Al.
patp likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page