Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Marmite

566 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  aldra 
#1 ·
All you Marmite lovers will be glad to hear that the makers Unilever will not use any supplier that does not pay a living wage the bad news is that it does not come into affect till 2030 so your Marmite will be subsidised by the worlds poor till then

#2 ·
AFAIK Marmite is ONLY made in the U.K. and around the Burton on Trent area using the surplus yeast from the brewing industry, so are they saying that the British manufacturers are NOT paying a living wage ?

I may well be wrong but it is a peculiarly British product, the Australian version, Vegemite, is not the same, neither, IMO, are the supermarket own brands....

Marmite is Marmite, Love it or Hate it....l

#4 ·
Can’t find Marmite in this country, so we brought some with us.

A little story about Marmite.

We had Polish carpenters putting in the inside sliding doors and I gave them lunch each day, sandwiches and soup.
The marmite was on the table and luckily I noticed one of them making a sandwich with it, I frightened them to death nearly as I jumped up shouting ... Oh no.. he had spread it so thick, he thought it was a chocolate spread, they’d never seen or heard of marmite before. The face he pulled even with the right amount on his bread, I don’t think he liked it :grin2:

#6 ·
After spending 5 years in Oz during the 70s I can tell you that in extremis vegetate is an acceptable substitute:laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.