Attenborough's dire warnings. - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 11:25 Thread Starter

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Attenborough's dire warnings.

David Attenborough is undoubtedly a very experienced environment expert. His dire predictions of extinction and pollution of the planet are of interest to us all for our families futures. But although he has been banging on for decades about the obvious effects we are having on the planet we take little or no notice.
Rare breeds and animals are threatened and much of our flora and fauna is either dead or in decline besides polluting our seas.

We are all responsible for this state in as much as we are the consumers who drive the destruction of the Natural World in favour of some very unnatural crops to feed our consumer society.
Why is it knowing what we do today do we keep up this buying frenzy of pointless must have items to end up in landfill?
For the next 2+ months we will be deluged with adds promoting totally pointless gizmos for Christmas? Why do we want all these 5 min wonders that rarely do anything to enhance our lives and only add to the land fill we are all guilty of creating?

Lemmings have nothing on humanity.!

Ray.
Glandwr, erneboy, patp and 5 others like this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
The Following User Says Thank You to raynipper For This Useful Post:
Penquin (04-10-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 11:34

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
He is a person I gave followed for more than 40 years, it may be his film teams but the quality of videos that have been aired have not been surpassed IMO.

His views on the environment have become increasingly clear over the last 10 to 15 years, we all remember his interview with President Obama in which they laid out the route ahead.

Sadly, Trump has chosen an eco-destructive pathway whenever he can, he has never even shown the slightest regard for the natural world.

So Attenborough v Trump is inevitable and there can be only one winner, the environment us now recognised as absolutely central to the younger generations - people that Trump has ignored to his peril.

Hopefully the Trump era will finish very soon, in which case I expect that America will return to sense.

Attenborough is as inspirational now as Diana was 30 years ago.

His demise will provoke national grief. Let's hope it will be years away.....
raynipper likes this.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 11:44 Thread Starter

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
But my point Dave is we ALL contribute to our demise.

Ray.
Penquin likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 11:58

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Sorry, should have actually addressed the point that you raised, totally agree we are ALL responsible and need to take action.

12 weeks away is the biggest excuse for junk each and every years, hundreds of tonnes of plastic and massive amounts of Xmas paper that cannot be recycled due to the shiny surface.

We are using the isolation to ensure just ONE present for each grandchild, and each to be wrapped in recyclable plain brown paper, secured by string not adhesive tape. That way we hope that the impact will be reduced, not eliminated, but reduced, no plastic permitted of course.

Our prime present for each of them is a printed on paper BOOK - those items that no longer seem to be promoted..... We will NOT be buying Boris's biography, but Attenborough's would be good....

"A Life on Our Planet" by Sir David Attenborough publish date October 6 2020 would be a great choice IMO.
raynipper and britcoms like this.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk

Last edited by Penquin; 04-10-2020 at 12:05.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 14:15

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
The warnings are widely know in the educated parts of the world but selfishness will be our downfall, in then years time little or nothing will have been done and by then it will be too late we will spiral down into oblivion.

We are already seeing the signs of bees dying out all over the world, when they die off we will soon follow.
Penquin, raynipper and britcoms like this.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 17:01

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
But my point Dave is we ALL contribute to our demise.

Ray.
Very true Ray and there are huge commercial interests trying to persuade us that it will be alright in the end and it’s naysayers that are concerned with global warming, smoking tobacco, burning fossil fuels, campaigning against single use plastics etc, etc, And those commercial interests have eager accomplices in the Libertarian Right that they politically fund.
Penquin, raynipper and Webby1 like this.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 08:49

Those of us of a certain age, who grew up during rationing, and had "make do and mend" parents get it. So, how do we convince the younger generation?

Having said that, Chris's mum went through the war years, was a widow on very low income, and so should have been thrifty, but was not. Her attitude to anything that was old was "just chuck it down the shute" (they lived in a flat) and buy a new one. So, is it up to parents? Chris is very much like his mum whereas my brothers and I are much more frugal having lived with our, very frugal, dad. No lights were ever left on, we only heated one room in the house, toilet paper was rationed etc etc.

Is it the same people who refuse to abide by the Covid 19 restrictions that also refuse to alter their lifestyle?
Penquin, raynipper and britcoms like this.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 08:56

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
if the behaviour during Covid is anything to go by, I wouldn't expect much restraint from the younger generation in how they purchase or re-use things, they just don't care, live now pay later seems to be how they think.
Penquin and raynipper like this.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 15:43

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudsey_Bear View Post
if the behaviour during Covid is anything to go by, I wouldn't expect much restraint from the younger generation in how they purchase or re-use things, they just don't care, live now pay later seems to be how they think.
I think that's very unfair Kev. Any of the demos I've seen have lots of representatives from the younger age group.
greygit likes this.

Jean
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 16:14

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,117 Times in 965 Posts
Personal Aire
I gather there are grants up for grabs for green stuff in the house but apparently finding an approved supplier to do the work is proving difficult. I was reading up on air source heat pumps earlier which can apparently replace your traditional boiler and I think they are pretty green and there is some scheme where you get money back from the government and it pays for itself over seven years. They don't sound that great to me though in that they don't heat the water from the taps or in the radiators to as high a temperature so you have to run them longer and make sure your Insulation is up to scratch
patp likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page