Attenborough's dire warnings. - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 16:42

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
I was asking our Residents Management Co. the other day about the possibility of installing electric car charging points in the communal parking area, and possibly solar panels to feed these (tho I've no idea if that's feasible).

They manage numerous developments n have not been asked this question before, which surprised me.

Someone said when you install solar on your roof you no longer own your roof, you merely rent it. I'd never heard that before - is it true? There was the fear that whoever owned it wouldn't look after it as well as you would yourself.
patp likes this.

Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 00:23

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
I think all this environmental stuff is a nonsense in the grand scale of the life of this planet and what has happened to it.

Earth is some 4.5billion years old and has seen phenomenal changes including ice ages, global warming, earthquakes etc etc.

Humans are very new indeed and this idea of us destroying the planet is irrelevant. We may be destroying it for ourselves but we aren't destroying the planet - it will vastly outlive humans and if that means other species come into existence in the billions of years ahead then good luck to them.

Peter
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 07:07 Thread Starter

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Yes Peter it's our environment along with many species that is being destroyed by us. Yes the planet is going to continue turning but quality of life for all creatures is in peril. Just ask an Orangutan.

Ray.
barryd likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 08:17

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Man is the only organism that has ever existed on this planet that has developed the ability to totally change and destroy very large parts of the planet.

So, yes, man may be newly around, but the effect of the species is catastrophic.

Think of whole mountains being hollowed out in North Korea, or destroyed in China, think of the desertification that has happened due to the destruction of the Aral Sea, think of the destruction of natural forest in the Amazon jungle, and in the U.K. Where the natural deciduous forest has been removed and ciniferous forests planted so densekybthat no ground or shrub layer can exist below the ever present canopy.

As a direct result of man's activities the forest that used to exist in North Africa has been totally destroyed SINCE ROMAN TIMES and the Sahara desert has been formed - now spreading eastwards at a rate of at least 25 km a YEAR. All because the Romans introduced wild goats that destroyed the seedlings - the Romans used to capture lions and zebra in, where now is Tunisia and Libya. The "Cedars of Lebanon" have virtually all been destroyed, except those in artificially maintained ornamental gardens.

New ? Yes but totally out of control.

Attenborough is 100% correct and the destruction is hastening in an extrapolating manner as bigger and bigger machines are developed driven by more and more desire to destroy for short term profit.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk

Last edited by Penquin; 06-10-2020 at 08:22.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 08:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
I gather there are grants up for grabs for green stuff in the house but apparently finding an approved supplier to do the work is proving difficult. I was reading up on air source heat pumps earlier which can apparently replace your traditional boiler and I think they are pretty green and there is some scheme where you get money back from the government and it pays for itself over seven years. They don't sound that great to me though in that they don't heat the water from the taps or in the radiators to as high a temperature so you have to run them longer and make sure your Insulation is up to scratch
You are right about the scheme, Barry but it is very complicated and many people think it is not worth the hassle. Air source heat pumps do not, as you say, heat the water hot enough for them to be safe in that bugs can grow in the hot water cylinder. You have to have an immersion heater, as well, that will do that.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 08:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwawa View Post
I was asking our Residents Management Co. the other day about the possibility of installing electric car charging points in the communal parking area, and possibly solar panels to feed these (tho I've no idea if that's feasible).

They manage numerous developments n have not been asked this question before, which surprised me.

Someone said when you install solar on your roof you no longer own your roof, you merely rent it. I'd never heard that before - is it true? There was the fear that whoever owned it wouldn't look after it as well as you would yourself.
I think there were schemes like that, Jean, and the extra power generated went to the owners of the roof. You can, however, buy the panels outright and install them just like any other home improvement. There are also roof tiles that have photovoltaic cells in them but they are very expensive at the moment.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 17:49

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,112 Times in 962 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by patp View Post
You are right about the scheme, Barry but it is very complicated and many people think it is not worth the hassle. Air source heat pumps do not, as you say, heat the water hot enough for them to be safe in that bugs can grow in the hot water cylinder. You have to have an immersion heater, as well, that will do that.
Been doing some further digging today. I got as far as looking up "approved" companies that can do the work required and the first four I found when I googled them they didnt even have websites! When I worked on the North East Suppliers register as an IT Consultant and advisor to One North East you wouldnt have even got on the list without a website and that was well over a decade ago. Ill pursue it but it already smacks a bit of another "Excel" Spreadsheet Tory corner cutting cock up to me.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 18:04

I am finding that many tradesmen are using Facebook as a means of displaying their skills and touting for business. If I don't find a website I go on Facebook.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 18:13 Thread Starter

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Yes Pat but all the 'rouges' on Rouge Traders have super websites but operate out of a spare bedroom. It's too easy to present a glossy online image.

Ray.
patp and Penquin like this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 19:51

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,112 Times in 962 Posts
Personal Aire
I find that extremely unprofessional using Facebook as your only form of internet presence. I want to see case studies and more importantly reviews and structured detailed information about their products and services. I found none of that for any of the first four companies I searched on. Fair enough if you are just looking for a bob a job plumber to fit a leaky tap I would be happy enough to take a recommendation from Facebook but if we are talking of £10k worth of home improvements I want to know whoever is coming to do the work has a glowing long standing reputation.

I think you have six months to go through this process. I bet finding the right suppliers and getting the quotes in will take until well after Christmas.
raynipper likes this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page