Covid courier scam? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 13-09-2020, 12:25 Thread Starter

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,088 Times in 945 Posts
Personal Aire
Covid courier scam?

Im potentially in a bit of a sticky spot here.

I ordered a laptop for a client last week worth £2500 and had it shipped directly to them. The courier (I wont name them just yet) claims its been delivered and has included a photo of the package on a desk. firstly they delivered it to the wrong office on the site. The instructions were clear and secondly of course due to Covid nobody signed for it or saw it being delivered. So it would seem either the courier has swiped it back after taking the photo or someone at the plant has. Sadly CCTV coverage only shows the couriers van leaving site, it does not cover the office where it was supposedly delivered.

Ill be taking this up with my supplier in the morning but would just like to gather as much info as possible as regards who is responsible. Any legal eagles know?

This new thing of not having to sign for stuff due to covid is very much open to abuse I think.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 13-09-2020, 12:50

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Did the courier name the person they gave it to? That would be an essential safeguard lin lieu of a signature.

A photo of the thing on some desk means nothing.

I'd assume the courier carries insurance. Until you or your client have the item in hand or till the courier provides proof of delivery the responsibility is theirs I reckon.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 13-09-2020, 12:57

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
Im potentially in a bit of a sticky spot here.

I ordered a laptop for a client last week worth £2500 and had it shipped directly to them. The courier (I wont name them just yet) claims its been delivered and has included a photo of the package on a desk. firstly they delivered it to the wrong office on the site. The instructions were clear and secondly of course due to Covid nobody signed for it or saw it being delivered. So it would seem either the courier has swiped it back after taking the photo or someone at the plant has. Sadly CCTV coverage only shows the couriers van leaving site, it does not cover the office where it was supposedly delivered.

Ill be taking this up with my supplier in the morning but would just like to gather as much info as possible as regards who is responsible. Any legal eagles know?

This new thing of not having to sign for stuff due to covid is very much open to abuse I think.

Not good situation.

I can only say what happens here when a delivery is not signed for because of Covid; the PO or courier must leave the parcel in front of somebody, get their name and enter it instead of the signature on their machine. So it may be worth establishing if that system is in place in UK and if so demand the name of the recipient.

Did the sender insure it or do the courier company have insurance, but the sender would have to pursue that route as he was the courier's client.

Geoff

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 13-09-2020, 13:06

I should think verification of delivery is a matter for each company. I doubt threr is a national policy.

The procedure with most delivery companies here in Spain is to take details of the recipient. If you aren't known to them they may well want ID too.

It's just occurred to me that the sender can also dictate what proof of delivery is required. Here for example Amazon ask for proof in the form of the name of the recipient on anything of significant. The information about whether or not proof is required is prominently written on the package so the courier is informed. Things of lesser value are marked Bozon to indicate that they can be left in the letter box and need not be handed to an identifiable recipient.

If you haven't paid for the computer up front I'd say that was a bonus. But either way I'd take the view that it's very unfortunate has nothing to do with you or your client since it cannot be shown that it was delivered.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.

Last edited by erneboy; 13-09-2020 at 13:24.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 13-09-2020, 13:41

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
AFAIK it is the vendor's responsibility until it is delivered TO THE CUSTOMER....

That is confirmed here;

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...mer-rights-act

Under the Consumers Tights Act, the vendor us responsible until the item is DELIVERED TO YOU OR YOUR NOMINATED NEIGHBOUR OR SAFE PLACE.

In your case your nominated neighbour is the personnit should have gone to and until they say "Yes, I have it" it remains the responsibility of the company selling it.

Your contract is with THEM, not the Courier Company. So photographing it on some random desk does not count even in the current times. They may say "Oh it was in the office, but until someone signs for it, or their details are recorded by writing or photograph so they can be traced. It remains up to them.

It is clear cut according to Which who administer much of these points, indeed HMG sends you to them via their link.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 13-09-2020, 13:48 Thread Starter

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
Personal Aire
I have not paid for it up front. The courier in the tracking log has put a name down for a member of staff who received it but apparently he just shouted across the yard to this person for a name. There was nobody in the unit where he left the parcel to witness it being left. I just have a feeling its going to be a bit of a battle this one. Its not my favoured supplier but I do use them a lot. If it was my other wholesale supplier I would be less worried but this lot are a bit of a nightmare to deal with.

My suspicions that something fishy is up have been risen more because the Courier tracking states they tried to deliver it on Thursday but there was nobody there. Thats rubbish as I made sure someone was in the office for the delivery time and the quarry where they eventually supposedly wrongly delivered it on Friday is constantly occupied.

Its a farm office with a massive Quarry quarter of a mile beyond the main office. There are portacabin offices up in the quarry but there isnt always someone in them but there is always people about in the Quarry. I never ever get stuff delivered to the Quarry as I know it will be safer in the farm office. So in effect even if they have delivered it, they delivered it to the wrong place.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 13-09-2020, 15:03

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Sadly this kinds thing has been going on since the Littlewoods catalogues days. We were obliged to get the printed name after a squiggle signature when leaving 'White Goods' at the delivery address or neighbours. Too many smaller items went missing.

Ray.
erneboy likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 13-09-2020, 15:45

I had three dehumidifiers sent by a mail order co because the first two did not arrive.

Eventually a local farmer friend of mine called on day to say to say there were two large boxes addressed to me sitting on the front porch of a vacant bungalow up a lane he had been on to get to one of his fields.
Penquin, barryd and raynipper like this.

Last edited by erneboy; 13-09-2020 at 16:32.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 13-09-2020, 16:05 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post
I had three dehumidifiers sent by a mail order co because the first three did not arrive.

Eventually a local farmer friend of mine called on day to say to say there were two large boxes addressed to me sitting on the front porch of a vacant bungalow up a lane he had been on to get to one of his fields.
Well of course there is always the chance that it is actually there but only if someone who isnt there today has moved it but that seems extremely unlikely. Or its just possible the Courier decided to take it away as they felt it wasnt really safe leaving it in an empty office but then its showing delivered with a photo on the tracking system.
erneboy likes this.

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 13-09-2020, 18:12

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
As I said, let the vendor sort it out, it has not been delivered to where it ought to have been.

End of story, it's their problem.
erneboy likes this.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page