Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Gardens in flower

3K views 56 replies 9 participants last post by  patp 
#1 ·
Our roses are magnificent this year, loaded with blooms

However our clematis, and we have several are not doing well, scarcely any flowers

Anyone else noticed the same pattern in their garden ?

Sandra

#2 ·
Not really, Sandra. Our roses (two!) are rather poor. It has been so dry, here, in East Anglia that I am surprised anything has survived to be honest.
We planted a Weeping Willow to replace the one that was a casualty of the diggers and it has been a worry to keep it watered. It is right beside the pond but is too new to have deep roots yet.

#5 ·
The cornus florida have very few blooms (brackts) this year, loaded last year with fuits exactly like strawberries. The gooseberries have been a failure, but a prolific crop of red and black currents, rubarb was so so. First sowing of runner beans rooted in the ground, but the courgettes are going bonkers in this hot humid weather. Roes have been so so although the dog ones in the hedgerows have never been better. Every year is different thank goodness. What suits one genus doesn't suit another. I suppose it's the same with people,:smile2:

Reactions: aldra
#6 ·
Our gooseberries have no fruit although looking very healthy

I think that last year they had some infestation

Our cucumbers have wilted and died

Raspberries and strawberries seem to have plenty although not yet ripe

Tomatoes are just beginning to fruit

Apple trees loaded, cherries are good but the birds always get there first, not ripe yet but I already see the birds eying them up, not a single plum so far the year

Fig tree is well well loaded in the greenhouse, as is the vine

Apart from the trees our veg are grown in pots

As are all our fushisas, hostas and geraniums

Every year we say we must cut back as they are heavy to move into the greenhouse in winter and out in spring as we get older

If anything we just seem to get more

I could start a small garden centre with miniature hostas, loads of varieties and this year we really need to split both them and the large hostas

It will be like the Sorcerers Apprentice when we start

Sandra

#8 ·
East Anglia had the driest May on record and that is saying something for this region. Then we get to June and it rains. Didn't last long though. A local farmer told us that all the crops were really stressed before the rain so hope it helped him out.

#13 ·
I think wild orchids are amazing plants. The first I can remember seeing was in a Dordogne wood in the 80s. When I moved to Shropshire in 2001 I was delighted to find several varieties come up in my garden. I used to count and photograph them each year. There was a bee orchid in a nearby field and it was my favourite. I looked out for them every year when taking my dog for a walk. Just before moving away from Shropshire a nearby farmer sprayed his long fallow fields killing everything growing in them.
My orchids are online - https://orchids.pastcaring.com/bee-orchid.html

#14 ·
We've been eating our Strawberries for the last week or so with many more soon to be ready and the first potatoes should be ready to eat next week.

Our Cytisus Battandieri yellow tail (Pineapple tree) has been in gorgeous bloom this year but is now receding.

Attachments

#15 ·
We have a domestic water tank in the greenhouse and Albert puts any potatoes that have begun to shoot in my potato cupboard into it

Different varieties of salad potatoes etc,

Can’t call it a potato crop when we harvest , but it’s fun taking enough potatoes for a meal

We’ve been enjoying the jersey season, bought not grown , I love it when the first jersey royals hit the shops and they are tiny

I remember the fields of wild flowers including orchids when I was a child Paul, spent hours pressing and labelling them into books ,I Spy book firmly clutched in hand

Those were the days

Sandra

#19 ·
Well I’m not having that much joy with posting photos but I’ll try again

This clematis is the only one to be profuse this year, although the Montana wasn’t too bad

On a gardening programme they said the poor clematis performance was due to the cold wet winter followed by the hot spell early summer

I’ve just enjoyed my first home grown figs, the vine is full of grape clusters, strawberries have been good ,
Blueberries are loaded as are the tomatoes, neither as yet ripe enough to eat

Attachments

#24 ·
We can’t find anyone to clip shadow

The one who did has left

I know long haired dogs shouldn’t be clipped

But he has problems

His bowels are not good, he’s very loose and long haired

Well you can guess the rest

Plus we are struggling to maintain his long coat

The last time we were told it can damage the coat of a long haired dog to clip it short

He’s 12 1/2 years old we no longer care about his coat, just his comfort

And he made a delightful bear

Sandra

#26 ·
Well we would normally be away until the end of this month and off again come Sept Jean

So the gardens are better tended this year, and I guess we will actually get to eat the tomatoes this year

Every cloud and all that :grin2:

More or less all the pot plants are maintained from year to year, taken into the greenhouse to over winter which is why our promise to cut back on the number of pots never seems to materialise

Hosta are brilliant choice for ease of care, no need to overwinter inside, they just flourish
although this year some of the large troughs will need to be rebuilt come Autumn

Since we introduced frogs to the top pond we no longer seem to have any slugs or snails

I guess when it comes to plants in pots Albert just seems to be able to keep them flourishing year on year

And those are just photos of the back garden >:)

Sandra

#27 ·
The water lilies are in flower

Bought originally for the large pond they are a large leaf variety a bit too large for the small pond

Had to move them as the fish kept grubbing out the stones and soil

such a pretty flower , we’ve trimmed away a few leaves , but I guess the frogs and pond wild life prefer the surface covered

Sandra

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.