Not a nice trip. - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 08:04 Thread Starter

Not a nice trip.

Fell over a small rock jutting out of a garden into the lane near my house. I went a right pearler and must have landed on just the one arm because no other injuries except to my, dominant, right arm.
I had a long sleeve sweatshirt on but still managed to badly graze that arm. It got worse during the day, and overnight, with lots of vomiting, and a bit of d, so we had a little trip to A&E. They x rayed it and dressed the wound giving me a sling. The Nurse Practitoner was not sure if there might be "something" on the humerus (upper arm) so put it in a sling and said that the treatment would be the same if it was broken or not.

The wound is giving me such a hard time. It is about the size of a large egg. The area all around is read and swollen with oedema up and down the arm.

I just can't get over how I managed to just land on that one piece of arm. No hand out and no knees grazed as you would in a normal trip. The dog was with me though not involved and thought it was great fun licking me and raiding my treat pouch for sausages!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 08:09

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Sorry to hear that Pat.
patp likes this.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 08:35

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
I can sympathise Pat, remember last year I tripped up the hospital steps and dislocated my shoulder, that still gives me trouble with a constant ache.

You, Sandra and me are typical examples of older people needing to take more care, but how?
I am trying to take more notice of standing up slower than normal,
donīt suddenly spin round to see what behind you,
whatchamacallit's rabbles like a hawk. (Oohah, something has gone radically wrong with my keyboard now) that should say watch cables like a hawk.
Make Motley move if he is where I need to walk and a few more things I need to be aware of.
Not standing on anything except a stool to reach up in a cupboard and making sure I have something to hold on to while I do it.
I occasionally have an inner ear problem which makes me dizzy when I turn my heard or look up, then I have to be really carful, I have an exercise that rids me of that in a couple of days.

From one oldie to a not so oldie, take care.
Hope you will soon be on the mend.
patp and raynipper like this.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 10:10

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Oh sorry to heat that Pat. Yes we MUST consider every move now as everything takes longer to heal. One second saved and weeks of recovery.
It's nice to be active but we must respect our age.!!

Ray.
patp and JanHank like this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifeīs savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 11:34

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,077 Times in 935 Posts
Personal Aire
Really sorry to hear that Pat. Sounds really nasty. Hope you recover soon.
patp likes this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 11:43 Thread Starter

My physiotherapist daughter is always bragging to her colleagues about how fit I am for my age. Unlike some of my friends I have no trouble getting up from the floor or lifting stuff and balancing etc. Not sure it was an age thing so much as just one of those accidents that can happen to anyone. We looked at the rock last night and it is embedded firmly in the grass verge but large enough to stick right out. Would be a law suit in the States.

The age thing, however, comes into the equation with the consequences and the time it takes to recover. Also the impatience of not being able to manage with one arm. Aaargh!
I think many another person would have a broken radius and ulna as that is what I landed full force on.

I am quite hot on elf and safety. It comes from running Chris up to A&E so many times! I cannot keep moaning at him and then be silly myself
raynipper likes this.
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 14:29

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
Pat, so sorry to read of your accident

It is a bad shock to the system when you fall as you get older

Sounds a bit like my knee which took the brunt of my fall along with my shoulder

Watch the red and swollen area for signs of heat, if it becomes hot then seek medical attention immediately

Itís not likely but not impossible to suffer a blood clot at the site of injury, so best safe than sorry

Hope you are feeling better soon, now follow your own advice and rest, in which case you donít need to use that arm for a few days

Sandra
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 16:15 Thread Starter

It is very hot and swollen at times so perhaps I should take it easy. The sling is a nuisance but at least it reminds me not to use that hand.

Supposed to be going to visit new baby on Saturday so must have a functioning arm for if we are allowed cuddles.
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 18:52

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
I donít think you are allowed cuddles Pat

Isnít it meet outside and maintain 2 metre distance ?

Sort of look but donít touch

Sandra
patp likes this.
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 19:31 Thread Starter

Oh dear

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page