• 1 Post By Penquin
  • 2 Post By patp

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 07:17 Thread Starter

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Blast from the past.

I dunno about anyone else but recently since half the world is in 'lockdown' and possibly running out of things to do, we have been pleasantly surprised to receive e-mail enquiries as to our health and news from old friends we haven't communicated with for 10, 20 and even 25 years ago.
Friends we knew before we moved to France and others from the states. I guess it's easy for them to find me after all this time having the same e-mail address.

Any other people experiencing Blasts from the Past?

Ray.
patp and nickkdx like this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 08:50

My Motorhome: Burstner Delphin Performance T821
Personal Aire
I got my old phone out of hibernation and powered it up while I charged it. I noticed a couple of messages including a voicemail. It turned out to be an old mate from my time spent out in the Far East. I had tried calling him from time to time but it turns out he had spent the last 10 years working in the Philippines. Also, we both had a new email address and my old one no longer worked, so no contact available.

Foreigners were given 72 hours to get out of the country before a total lockdown began, so he is back in the UK for the foreseeable. He reckons the virus will decimate the Philippines, especially the densely populated slums around Manila.At least I can catch up on the gossip from a circle of friends I have lost touch with, although sadly a couple of them have died.
patp, raynipper and JanHank like this.

Nil Desperandum Illegitemide Carborundum
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 17:54

Please don't rely on "receiving" blasts from the past: get out there (not physically) and send some of your own!

We are ringing at least two people every day who are not members of our close family: cousins, uncles & aunts, old friends, etc. One xmas we chose numbers at random from the phone book and rang them to wish "Merry Xmas"; these days that might cause concerns.

Today I got an email from an ex-colleague (35y ago) asking if I had any lesson plans which she could use with her grandchildren under lockdown in Crete.

Let's spread the love - Gordon
patp and raynipper like this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 18:02

My Motorhome: Hymer T625
Well done!
patp likes this.

Viv

"When I was 17 the boys used to call me "Coke-bottle-legs". Fifty years later, they are still like Coke bottles. Sadly, the 2 litre version!"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 18:08

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
H1-GBV

Message sent..... you have a suggestion...
patp likes this.

Thinking of ALL the front line staff working to try to help others;Doctors, nurses, paramedics, cleaners, NA's, catering staff, support services and all others. Their work is appreciated more than you can ever realise-keep strong and safe.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
The Following User Says Thank You to Penquin For This Useful Post:
H1-GBV (06-04-2020)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin View Post
H1-GBV

Message sent..... you have a suggestion...
Reply sent - thanks.

Gordon
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 06:39

Not due to the virus but I had contact, via Facebook, from some old childhood friends of mine. One of them I grew up with and she introduced me to horse riding. We used to go to a riding stables about seven or eight miles from where we lived and hang out all weekend long together. There were about seven or eight of us in the end from all walks of life. I lost touch when my job as an veterinary nurse meant that I worked some weekends so gave up going to the stables. We have all, over fifty years later, made contact through Facebook. They are spread out all over the place now. But for the virus I would have called in on two of them on our way back through France this year.

My brother was contacted, again through Facebook, by his old school pals that he has not had contact with for over 50 years. That resulted in a reunion, last year in London, from his home in Minneapolis.
raynipper and 747 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page