Plumbing help needed (URGENT) - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 05:46 Thread Starter

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,066 Times in 925 Posts
Personal Aire
Plumbing help needed (URGENT)

Woke up at 5am to the sound of dripping water. Turns out the cold water or header tank is overflowing. Water spilling out the top of the tank in the immersion heater cupboard all over the floor and through the ceiling to downstairs. Turned everything off and started scooping water out with a pan. Im guessing either the overflow pipe is blocked or there is something else wrong in there. The overflow pipe has often leaked a bit for years to the outside and into the garden. Good timing huh? having to leave it off at the stopcock now so no running cold water.

I guess all I can do is ring round and see if any plumbers are working.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 06:55

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
It'll be a combination of a faulty ball cock, the cut off operated by a float, like in the cistern of a toilet and a blocked or faulty overflow.

Often there's a shut off valve on the pipe going to the ball cock. See if there is and turn it off there. Also as long as the washer in the ball cock isn'r ferked you may be able to pull the rod the float is attached to upwards and put a stick under it to wedge it up or bang a nail into a rafter and tie it to that. If your tank is covered the cover should come off easily enough, older ones often aren't. I'm guessing yours may not be since you can see that the water is overflowing?
barryd, raynipper and dghr272 like this.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.

Last edited by erneboy; 01-04-2020 at 07:00.
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 06:58

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Sounds like you are right Baz. Either a simple blockage of the overflow or the ball-cock arrangement faulty. And by the sounds of it the ball-cock has been the problem before it's the likely culprit.
If it's anything like the ball-cock or float valve in the toilet cistern it's simple and cheap to change. I keep spares of course.!!! But this also assumes you can get access to the top of the tank.

At the first sign of it overflowing before you should have planned for this moment. The overflow can probably be poked clear with some 'swish' flexible curtain wire. We regularly use it to clean out the shower drains.

Ray.
barryd likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 07:30 Thread Starter

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
Personal Aire
Its incredibly hard to get at. I have noticed in the past if you try and bend the wire the ball cock is on upwards its stops it hissing away and leaking water out the overflow. Yes I should have had it looked at some time ago.

Ill just have to try and get a plumber. Its pointless me looking at it really. I dont have a swish wire whatever the feck that is.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 07:38

It's not so popular now but https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Window-Ne...MAAOSwzvlW9Sqc

We always got spares.!!!

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 07:42 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Had a good rake round in the cupboard and the tank, cant find anything to turn off.

Im not even sure if this tank feeds the cold or the hot. Hot taps are still working, I turned the stop valve off downstairs which is an instant feed to the cold taps and they went off straight away so this must feed the hot taps.

Will start ringing plumbers at 8am

post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 08:09

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Downstairs cold tap in the kitchen should be connected to the incoming main, not supplied from the tank in the roof space. If you want to stop the leak open an upstairs cold tap to reduce the level in the tank. Just run some off to lower the level in the tank.

If you can bend the rod on the ball cock why can't you wedge or tie it up?

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 08:13

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
Had a good rake round in the cupboard and the tank, cant find anything to turn off.

Im not even sure if this tank feeds the cold or the hot. Hot taps are still working, I turned the stop valve off downstairs which is an instant feed to the cold taps and they went off straight away so this must feed the hot taps.

Will start ringing plumbers at 8am
As a lady lay I didn´t do too badly with my fruit answer did I
Don´t keep using hot water if it isn´t being replenished, turn orf the leclic like wot I said or you'll drain the tank and burn out the wossaname, that hot thing that heats the water.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 08:16

If some foreign body has found it's way into the valve washer, no amount of float adjustment will stop the flow. Sometimes pushing the float right down to allow a good gush can sometimes clear it but rarely.

I think these all in one units that were fitted to 60s homes (and later) were a tight fit to the cupboard and almost need changing entirely to service.
The idea of a header tank has just about been done away with now. Too many problems.!!

Ray.
Penquin likes this.

post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 08:27 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post
Downstairs cold tap in the kitchen should be connected to the incoming main, not supplied from the tank in the roof space. If you want to stop the leak open an upstairs cold tap to reduce the level in the tank. Just run some off to lower the level in the tank.

If you can bend the rod on the ball cock why can't you wedge or tie it up?

Well whatever I have done there is now no water going into the tank. Cold taps do not work since I turned off the stop cock. Hot taps do but presumably somehow take their feed from this tank which will eventually run dry unless I turn the stop cock back on?

Bending the rod and ball cock up and securing it is going to be difficult as the plastered ceiling comes down at an angle over it about a foot above the top.

Ive taken some photos of the cupboard and the inside of the tank by leaning in with the camera. Its the first time ive seen inside. Jeeesaz! Its fecking digusting!

The tank is just above the immersion heater pictured below

Phoned four plumbers so far, no answer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page