PC brigade double standards - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 25-02-2020, 10:35 Thread Starter

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
PC brigade double standards

OK "PC Brigade" as a general term.
It's always seemed ironic to me that the PC Brigade or certain sections of our community can object to 50s and 60s humour like Monty Python, Benny Hill, Faulty Towers, Dave Alen, etc. due to some overly sensitive minority group calling the shots to control what everyone else can and can't watch and enjoy.
Especially as todays media constantly shows full frontal bonking and expletives throughout most 'drama' and or Films today. Then theres more full frontal fat or mutilated bodies with some pretty revealing surgical procedures that can make me cringe.

Do we have double standards here?

Ray.
patp and Mrplodd like this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life“s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 25-02-2020, 11:16

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
This PC brigade seems to me to be a very flexible term Ray.

They seem to include anyone who ever objects to anything on the grounds that is seen as offensive, or even possibly so by them or even often by others who don't even need to be specified in many cases.

In my opinion the term is and always was pretty meaningless.

There's no identifiable brigade. In my opinion people who object to Monty Python or other comedy probably don't watch it. I'd call them interfering busy bodies, or possibly the Whitehouse/Paisley Brigade. Those two certainly objected to plenty. Double standards? Not sure in what way. I don't think they condemn comedy and then watch it. Never heard Paisley's dead parrot monologue. Whitehouse may have had a dirty laugh, but nobody knows because she never laughed.

How you you define the term Ray?
patp and raynipper like this.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.

Last edited by erneboy; 25-02-2020 at 11:20.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 25-02-2020, 11:42 Thread Starter

Thats why I started off with this phrase, OK "PC Brigade" as a general term.

I think it's a generally accepted description as you say Alan of those who object to what has possibly been acceptable previously and due to changing attitudes is no longer acceptable to all.

But my point was the standard of 'entertainment' today could be described as different levels of acceptableness.

Ray.
erneboy likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life“s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 25-02-2020, 11:44

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,040 Times in 903 Posts
Personal Aire
I just wanna know what media Ray is watching with full frontal bonking (is that even possible?). Do you have a link Ray?

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 25-02-2020, 11:52 Thread Starter

Flesh & Blood last night came close. Then theres some of the reality get me i'm a celeb type progs I never watch.....
But there have been quite a few raw, earthy, dramas like Lady Macbeth etc.
I'm not complaining about "Full frontal bonking" just pointing out how daft we can be in objecting to some harmless humour and yet tolerate what would be intolerable just a few years ago. 'Watershed' just doesn't mean anything.

Oh yes Baz, you don't watch 'live' TV now do you??

Ray.

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 25-02-2020, 12:35

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
Thats why I started off with this phrase, OK "PC Brigade" as a general term.

I think it's a generally accepted description as you say Alan of those who object to what has possibly been acceptable previously and due to changing attitudes is no longer acceptable to all.

But my point was the standard of 'entertainment' today could be described as different levels of acceptableness.

Ray.
Yes Ray. Views do change as time passes and attitudes evolve. Now we don't trade in slaves yet in the 1750s it was such a respectable trade that even the clergyman who wrote Amazing Grace, John Newtown became a slave ship Captain. It is well documented that when movements against the buying and selling of human beings began the people involved were disapproved of. They'd have been called The PC Brigade if anyone had thought of the term.

Many examples are available.

I think the Wikipedia entry is right "The word brigade, originally used to describe a military unit, can also be used as a pejorative collective noun to describe an informal group of like-minded individuals with views with which the speaker disagrees. It is used as a mild term of disapproval or contempt, or in an attempt to belittle and ridicule the subject."

Standards in entertainment have always been on the move. The Black and White Minstrel Show, Alf Garnet are gone but in those days there was no swearing and now there's pretty much nothing that can't be said. Better or worse?
raynipper, nicholsong and Webby1 like this.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 25-02-2020, 16:17

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
... full frontal bonking (is that even possible?).
I did wonder that myself.....!!!
raynipper likes this.

Jean
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 25-02-2020, 21:59

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
So elsewhere Ray you are saying that you have "internet" problems and I have naively been blaming AOL! Is the truth that you have been watching something you shouldn't have been and they've got wind of you?!!
patp and raynipper like this.

Peter
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 25-02-2020, 22:27

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
Full nude bonking

Gosh I really am getting old

Seen it done it

And when I see it on the Tv

Well it is what it is , normal behaviour once upon a time

So let them get on with it whilst they can

I just watch the drama that unfolds beyond it

Sandra
patp likes this.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 26-02-2020, 06:27 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peribro View Post
So elsewhere Ray you are saying that you have "internet" problems and I have naively been blaming AOL! Is the truth that you have been watching something you shouldn't have been and they've got wind of you?!!
Yes Peter, the terrible BBC and ITV live transmissions. And as for Channel4 and 5 well it can get very steamy.
Yes it's 'natural' Sandra, except when it isn't.? Like a dozen starlets or 'celebrities' sitting around in a confined space mindlessly prattling on about nothing and people actually watch it.?

Ray.
patp likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page