On hols with no MH - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 25-01-2020, 09:53 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
On hols with no MH

My daughter and I are sitting in the privilege lounge in Dublin Airport (courtesy of my SIL), waiting for our flight for a short trip to NY. Feels a bit odd without the MH! And also a bit odd to be drinking champagne shortly after 8am!! (blame SIL!)

When booking in to the hotel last night there were 2 other couples booking in together, and some confusion over the names. I said Oh, it's one of THOSE weekends!! We'd a good laugh about it and they said they'd let us have their room number!

Things are getting very busy out there. I take my hat off to the air traffic control guys.
patp likes this.

Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 25-01-2020, 10:31

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Don't get to like quick breaks stateside Jean. You will loose track of reality. And it's cold.!

Ray.
patp likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 25-01-2020, 12:40

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwawa View Post
My daughter and I are sitting in the privilege lounge in Dublin Airport (courtesy of my SIL), waiting for our flight for a short trip to NY. Feels a bit odd without the MH! And also a bit odd to be drinking champagne shortly after 8am!! (blame SIL!)

When booking in to the hotel last night there were 2 other couples booking in together, and some confusion over the names. I said Oh, it's one of THOSE weekends!! We'd a good laugh about it and they said they'd let us have their room number!

Things are getting very busy out there. I take my hat off to the air traffic control guys.

Jean

You are a clever lady to get the trip distance to NY shortened, but it would have been shorter from Aldegrove.

Maybe you can do the same trick with distances to visit us on your way to the Baltics.

Geoff
patp likes this.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 25-01-2020, 14:06

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,029 Times in 894 Posts
Personal Aire
Dublin airport. That brings back some memories. I once caused a flight delay there by playing Beatles numbers on guitar with a load of drunk Germans in the lounge and missing the announcements.

It's the only airport I ever went to that had a guitar behind the bar for the punters to play.
erneboy, patp and HurricaneSmith like this.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 26-01-2020, 08:18

How lovely for you Jean! Hope you have fun
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 27-01-2020, 03:43 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
I don't about losing track of reality Ray - I'm certainly knackered after walking 12km+ and a 4hr Harlem bus tour on top - we'd a great guide, very informative and entertaining. It included a 1hr stop at a church where we understood we'd hear a gospel choir along the lines of the one that sang at Harry n Megan's wedding. Not quite!! It wasn't a choir as such but it was very loud, very shouty and very repetitive, the same couple of lines over and over. The regular congregation got very involved tho with one man really going some with what my daughter described as the funky chicken dance. A bit of a disappointment for us but it certainly spoke to many people.

I'm really enjoying just wandering about the city, taking in the amazing buildings, both old and new. We did part of the High line today, saw the boats plying the Hudson River and the helicopter ferrying people over. Saw the new attraction, the Vessel, which has 2,500 steps. I'm glad we didn't have a go - I'd have never made it back to the hotel!

We had an early coffee and cookie and nearly needed a stiff drink at the cost! Prices here apparently don't include taxes (nor tips of course) so you end up paying considerably more than you thought. But we've taken the attitude of Oh well, that's NY! I had the best pizza ever in Don Giovanni's. And we saw Bon Jovi and wife walk past the window! So my daughter's day, month and year were made! I did see them but thought it was 2 women 😂

Geoff - I'm just getting in practice! Dublin does customs clearance at that side of the pond so makes arrival a lot easier.

We didn't see any guitar behind the bar Barry - maybe they learned their lesson after your escapade!!
raynipper and Christine600 like this.

Jean
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 27-01-2020, 09:07

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Yes grab all the sight while you can Jean. Make it a memorable visit. Yes tips were always an annoyance to me as 15%+ was almost demanded.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 27-01-2020, 13:51

Sounds amazing Jean

I, too, hate the taxing and tipping regime. My brother, who lives there, defends the tipping saying that they don't earn very much and so need it. Why can't they just pay them more and charge us a bit more then. I find it very demeaning for the server and embarrassing for the customer to have to decide how much to tip if the service was not up to scratch. It may not even be the waiter's fault.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 27-01-2020, 14:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by patp View Post
Sounds amazing Jean

I, too, hate the taxing and tipping regime. My brother, who lives there, defends the tipping saying that they don't earn very much and so need it. Why can't they just pay them more and charge us a bit more then. I find it very demeaning for the server and embarrassing for the customer to have to decide how much to tip if the service was not up to scratch. It may not even be the waiter's fault.

I agree.

In France in recent years I have asked if 'Service Compris' and I think every time it is, which I think is more sensible.

If it has been very good I still leave the odd change but understand that usually goes into a staff 'pot' immediately, so the 'kitchen' also gets some.

Geoff
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 27-01-2020, 21:18

Jean

I do not envy you rushing around NY.

It reminds me of one business trip I had there when I had 13 meetings in 2 days between Mid-town and Down-town with Banks and Insurers but they were not easily co-ordinated so I was hopping in and out of taxis - nightmare.

There seemed to be no peaceful refuge in NY, unlike Washington D.C where Georgetown had relaxed bars and restaurants.

I never want to visit USA again and especially NY, and LA. Canada yes but for me it is so different.

Geoff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page