Chris Packham is right. We are doomed. - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 21-01-2020, 23:06 Thread Starter

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Chris Packham is right. We are doomed.

We have it in our power to save the planet but we won't.

Ray.
britcoms likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 21-01-2020, 23:20

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,027 Times in 892 Posts
Personal Aire
Its taking over as the next social media pissing contest for sure. You would think for once it would be something most people could agree on.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 22-01-2020, 08:06 Thread Starter

Yep, Nero fiddling while Rome burns comes to mind.

Ray.
erneboy likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 22-01-2020, 08:07

Who is "we" Ray? You are doing your bit by recycling all you can. I am doing my bit by doing the same and buying organic and local and plastic free etc when I can. Our generation, generally, always turn lights off and heating down and think before making journeys in the car.

My old, reactionary, Maths Teacher was right, I think, to blame advertising. Once it became big business we were doomed to want different because it was better or bigger or faster.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 22-01-2020, 08:12 Thread Starter

But we are drowning as we run out of water. WE need to reduce breeding and consumption. Seeing the plight of those MeggaCities frightens me.

Ray.
britcoms likes this.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 23-01-2020, 09:21 Thread Starter

The program is being repeated tonight on BBC2 at 11.15 pm.
I personally feel we should all be aware of the planets problems.!
Taxing companies is not the way to combat our demise but just move more cash to the Exchequer.

Ray.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 23-01-2020, 13:11
EJB

My Motorhome: Burstner Nexxo t620G
The Dinosaurs became extinct even though they had more common sense than we have!

Ted.
I try and state simple facts in a nice way.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 23-01-2020, 13:37 Thread Starter

But did they do it to themselves Ted?

Ray.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 23-01-2020, 14:07

My Motorhome: Hobby 750ELC on Ducato X244
My friend, who is very “green” and very aware environmentally nevertheless states that she will not stop flying which strikes me as a tad hypocritical. Until all aircraft produced are the ‘cleaner’ variety should we not refuse to fly for pleasure? Is it too naive to say that although we are insisting world governments DO something, which of course they must, aren’t we, the ordinary population the ones that can REALLY make a difference, the ones with the real power? We are billions of people after all who could make a phenomenal contribution by ditching our diesel vehicles (and motorhomes!) plus wherever possible buying our vegetables ONLY when in season and our meat plastic free and ONLY buying home produced goods, not flying off on holidays, keeping white goods until they die of old age, plus a million other ways to help. We will all state we do our best, but do we? We, I suggest, do as much as we want to do before it crosses a personal line. China is the biggest pollutant but where are all the phones we love made? How do Extinction Rebellion communicate with each other? The oceans are polluted with plastic, so why doesn’t a significant portion of the population just stop using it? I see people with carrier bags all the time which in my opinion should cost at least £1 each. It seems to me that although the will is there many of us are simply not prepared to make those further sacrifices. I’ve got an iPhone and an IPad just like my other half, a diesel motorhome, a petrol car and I fly. I want a safer and healthier planet and I do my bit most certainly, but I won’t be giving up my iPhone or iPad anytime soon or my motorhoming holidays. I am a hypocrite plain and simple. I am part of the problem.
Linda
patp, chasper, raynipper and 1 others like this.

Last edited by shingi; 23-01-2020 at 14:51.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 23-01-2020, 15:37

If you are, Linda, then so am I. I do not have an iphone but I do have a laptop and ipad. I try very hard to buy locally produced meat, fruit and veg. I watch all my utility bills like a hawk and try to shop weekly rather than daily in the car. If I can find them I buy wool or cotton clothing but their production is not pollution free I choose plastic free when I can get it. All my cosmetics like shampoo and conditioner etc are cut open to retrieve the, several days worth of, product that refuses to come out otherwise!

It galls me, however, when I visit my brother in America (very rarely) and see that it is socially unacceptable to hang washing out to dry on a clothes line! They all tumble dry their clothes when the sun is blazing down outside! No one drives around in an old car. These cars are all gas guzzlers. No one walks on the golf course, they all have buggies. The snowbirds fly off to Florida every winter and leave the heating on full blast in the huge houses in Minnesota where it regularly gets to -10 to -15 C and often much lower!

It makes me feel that my sacrifices are pointless
shingi and raynipper like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page