WLAN does not seem to work - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

6Likes
  • 1 Post By baldlygo
  • 1 Post By barryd
  • 1 Post By nickkdx
  • 1 Post By raynipper
  • 1 Post By barryd
  • 1 Post By raynipper

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 18-01-2020, 16:42 Thread Starter

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
WLAN does not seem to work

My 'vast' Sharp TV came with a dongle 6 years ago to allow it to connect to the Net. I plugged it in and never really got around to faffing about setting it up. Now 6 years later after reading about Jan and Pat TV problems I thought I would just check.
Well the WLAN doesn't 'show' when plugged into the PC and looking in Device Manager shows an unknown USB item that you can't update drivers and is not working.
So is it goosed or does it need a kicking?

It's a Sharp 802.11n Dual Band Wlan Adapter with lots of numbers on it.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 18-01-2020, 17:15

Googling "Sharp 802.11n Dual Band Wlan Adapter" brings up several driver download sites which appear to be the answer to your problem. However I know nothing of these sites since I run linux and do not have Windows10 knowledge.
raynipper likes this.

Paul
Founder of SillyLeaks
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 18-01-2020, 18:16 Thread Starter

Yea Paul and thanks.
I did look at those but couldn't work out how to install any driver into the dongle as it wasn't recognised. Also all those sites show disclaimers.
It's just a quandary thats been hovering for 6 years. Interesting but not urgent.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-01-2020, 12:15

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,029 Times in 894 Posts
Personal Aire
If you have gone into Device manager and asked it to update the driver from there then maybe there isnt one compatible with Windows 10. You might get something to work from a third party site but I wouldnt go down that route. A new one will be about a tenner or something like that.
raynipper likes this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-01-2020, 12:18 Thread Starter

Thanks Baz. Yep as and when but as I keep looking at larger TVs maybe it will come with a new dongle or inbuilt access to the net.

Ray.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-01-2020, 12:41

Best get a bigger new TV then 😙
raynipper likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-01-2020, 13:01

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
Thanks Baz. Yep as and when but as I keep looking at larger TVs maybe it will come with a new dongle or inbuilt access to the net.

Ray.
Most TVs are smart I Think these days Ray and connect to the internet or if your TV has a USB port I suspect you could just stick an Amazon Firestick or Hoku or whatever they are called in the side of it. I dont think they are expensive however beware that you do need a half decent internet connection I believe. Ive never bothered as I just download stuff but our internet speed here is about 8gb down and 1up which is probably ok for half decent streaming on a big telly but downstairs where the main TV is its much less than half of that and patchy at best so I never bothered and Mrs D said she wasnt interested in having a smart TV so that was the end of that as I hardly ever watch it. So check your internet speed would be the first thing to do and how good your wifi is where the telly is.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-01-2020, 18:17 Thread Starter

I think I will follow Nicks advice and look for a bigger tele.
If a cheap dongle manages to fall into my hands for €1 or €2 sometime I will 'play'.

Usually we have 6mbps up and 0.7mbps up. Good enough for videos on YouTube but not sure by the time I bung it via a couple of Powerline adaptors.

Food for thought here and when all else fails some investigations. Thanks Baz.

Ray.
p.s Just thought. If using Powerline adaptors I can just use an ethernet cable from Home plug 2 to back of tele???
nickkdx likes this.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-01-2020, 23:57

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
I think I will follow Nicks advice and look for a bigger tele.
If a cheap dongle manages to fall into my hands for €1 or €2 sometime I will 'play'.

Usually we have 6mbps up and 0.7mbps up. Good enough for videos on YouTube but not sure by the time I bung it via a couple of Powerline adaptors.

Food for thought here and when all else fails some investigations. Thanks Baz.

Ray.
p.s Just thought. If using Powerline adaptors I can just use an ethernet cable from Home plug 2 to back of tele???
Im no expert in streaming to massive TVs in HD or 4K but that should be good enough for standard definition TV or maybe even HD but probably not 4K. Ethernet connection would always be better than wifi so it should work.
raynipper likes this.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 20-01-2020, 08:55 Thread Starter

Yes thanks.
I'm not into 4K yet as so little is being transmitted and hardly ever buy/watch DVDs.
But will give the ethernet connection a try just to see if it works.

Ray.
barryd likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page