Big Brother - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 19:07 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Auto-Sleeper EK TB LP
Personal Aire
Big Brother

Just booked a holiday in Madeira for next March, we like one year abroad each year away from the motorhome.
Found an online deal that was acceptable so started filling out the application, after a couple of pages I had given all my personal and payment details, the last one before completing was my mobile phone number.
Within 5 seconds of typing my number my phone rang, it was the travel company I was booking online with.
She took all my details again and gave me an extra discount equal to a bottle of Aldi's finest 8 year old whiskey so how could I refuse.
These people are getting very clever knowing that as you complete online forms you get to a point where you abandon it as you have second thoughts, I have done that many a time.
Very astute of them to think of this, looking forward to Madeira now as I have never been before.
patp and raynipper like this.

Barry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 19:38

My Motorhome: Hobby 750ELC on Ducato X244
Madeira is lovely and we are also going in March to a hotel just west of Funchal.This will be our third time (always in March for my birthday) and it’s unusual for us to revisit places but the island is so nice and there is a lovely coastal path in front of the hotel which is great for walking. The weather has always been warm and the airport is fun to land at, being partly built on stilts out to sea. I hope you have a great trip.
Linda
patp and Matchlock like this.

Last edited by shingi; 08-12-2019 at 19:40.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 19:47

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Everything you do online is recorded unless you take the time and jump through the hoops to prevent it.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:03

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
A pal of mine was chatting the other day. He was given an Alexa a few months ago. Having heard a few tales about how it picks up bits of info without you knowing he tried an experiment........

Having no interest in, and having not looked at anything car related on the internet he said to his wife (within earshot of the Alexa) something along the lines of “I am thinking of changing my car to a BMW, shall we go and look at one at the weekend”

Within a few minutes he started getting “pop ups” on his laptop for??? The BMW car range !!. Quite a coincidence eh??

Personally I refuse to have one in the house. People say it only does something when you say the magic word which it recognises BUT, to recognise that word it has to be “listening” all the time doesn’t it?? And we all know that these days ANY information is valuable to someone (Like your local BMW garage perhaps??)

I am far from paranoid but it is becoming clearer and clearer that data harvesting is happening more and more. I changed mobile phones a few weeks ago.
When loading all of the “apps” I find useful I was continually asked to allow the app to access my location (which I sort of understand the reason for) but much more worryingly, my contacts AND call history ??? Why would an app for aligning a satellite dish (useful when touring on the continent) have any use whatsoever for my contact list OR call history???

Needless to say I routinely deny ALL such requests (whether that stops the app accessing that data is another question of course)

Andy

P.s. We also like Madeira and are thinking of “doing” some of the Lavada walks which, for the unaware are footpaths which are alongside the hundreds of small irrigation channels that are all over the mountains, the views are stunning yet the paths are as good as level!
erneboy, raynipper and Matchlock like this.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with

Last edited by Mrplodd; 09-12-2019 at 09:09.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 12:27

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,088 Times in 945 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd View Post
A pal of mine was chatting the other day. He was given an Alexa a few months ago. Having heard a few tales about how it picks up bits of info without you knowing he tried an experiment........

Having no interest in, and having not looked at anything car related on the internet he said to his wife (within earshot of the Alexa) something along the lines of “I am thinking of changing my car to a BMW, shall we go and look at one at the weekend”

Within a few minutes he started getting “pop ups” on his laptop for??? The BMW car range !!. Quite a coincidence eh??

Personally I refuse to have one in the house. People say it only does something when you say the magic word which it recognises BUT, to recognise that word it has to be “listening” all the time doesn’t it?? And we all know that these days ANY information is valuable to someone (Like your local BMW garage perhaps??)

I am far from paranoid but it is becoming clearer and clearer that data harvesting is happening more and more. I changed mobile phones a few weeks ago.
When loading all of the “apps” I find useful I was continually asked to allow the app to access my location (which I sort of understand the reason for) but much more worryingly, my contacts AND call history ??? Why would an app for aligning a satellite dish (useful when touring on the continent) have any use whatsoever for my contact list OR call history???

Needless to say I routinely deny ALL such requests (whether that stops the app accessing that data is another question of course)

Andy

P.s. We also like Madeira and are thinking of “doing” some of the Lavada walks which, for the unaware are footpaths which are alongside the hundreds of small irrigation channels that are all over the mountains, the views are stunning yet the paths are as good as level!
I dont see the point of those Alexa devices. Chances are if I want to google something I want to read, view or watch something. Takes two seconds on a mobile or laptop.

However I dont necessarily think "some" of this targeted advertising or data harvesting is bad if you set your preferences correctly. I get the odd email or popup in facebook or ebay for example and they generally are relevant to stuff I am maybe currently interested in from politics to what I am currently interesting in purchasing. My devices and phones etc are pretty bolted down so they are limited but can be useful. Mind you on youtube the other day I got a pop up ad telling me to vote conservative so its not all good.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 16:39

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
You don't even have to have an Alexa!

My SIL was talking to a friend who lives away from the sewage grid so they have a cess-pit (or whatever they're called!) His friend was discussing some problems with the system.

SIL's iPhone started showing him adverts for cess-pit related kit.

Now, if you knew SIL you'd know he has zero interest in that sort of thing and had certainly not been googling about it. So it was all down to the iPhone listening in to their conversation.

Scary!
raynipper likes this.

Jean
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 17:29

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwawa View Post
You don't even have to have an Alexa!

My SIL was talking to a friend who lives away from the sewage grid so they have a cess-pit (or whatever they're called!) His friend was discussing some problems with the system.

SIL's iPhone started showing him adverts for cess-pit related kit.

Now, if you knew SIL you'd know he has zero interest in that sort of thing and had certainly not been googling about it. So it was all down to the iPhone listening in to their conversation.

Scary!

EXACTLY !!!

Many phones have the Alexa type thing built in (Cortana rings some sort of bell in my grey cells)

“They” are watching us all

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 17:31 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd View Post
EXACTLY !!!

“They” are watching us all

Andy

EXACTLY!!!
But some of us need watching more than others
raynipper likes this.

Barry
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 16:46 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlock View Post
EXACTLY!!!
But some of us need watching more than others
I have a Googlehome and a chromecast connected to my TV.
It may be watching me or maybe not but I really don't care, just watching BarryD singing "If I was a Carpenter" on my large screen TV via Chromecast, good or bad I am not sure but this is the way we are going, so we had better get used to it!!
barryd likes this.

Barry
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 19:15

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Although two of our TVs are so called 'smart' they are not connected to the net. I tried once and it was such a faff I gave up.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page