A little bit if good news - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 18-10-2019, 07:51 Thread Starter

A little bit if good news

Our daughter has just announced that she has a baby on the way

I am so thrilled for her as she adores children. They have been trying for quite some time and had to go through at least three rounds of IVF but, bless the NHS, it has all been worth it.

Baby will arrive in mid April if all goes well. I am quite excited. Started knitting, which will surprise anyone who knows me! Daughter bought me a Beginners Crochet Course for my Birthday so that will be interesting to see if I am any better at that than I am at knitting

Any Granny and Grandpa tips gratefully received! One big one that Chris and I have often discussed is whether to move closer to our daughter? Lots of Grandparents do, I know. We are about 3 hours away and, obviously, have the fiver to stay in when we get there. Our favourite little site has just closed and the next nearest has no wifi and no phone signal in the area. Normally that would not bother us but could be a nuisance in future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 18-10-2019, 11:10

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
Good news indeed, we enjoy our grandkids very much, they are a source of great joy and you can spoil them whereas you were more controlled with your own kids.

One of our grandsons and his mum have lived with us for quite a while as his father is a waster, him and I butt heads a bit as he's now approaching teenage years, although he did bring a tear to my eye when in his last English task in primary school was to write a piece on the person who has been the greatest influence on his life. I was nominated with him giving various reasons, it's things like this that warm your heart and give you hope for the youngsters.

My best tip is to enjoy them and spoil them often, then hand them back to their parents, but be prepared for your daughter's interrogation as to why you didn't let her away with the things that you let slip with your grandchild.

Oh yeah, they say they also keep you young, but with my seven I'm not so sure.

Terry

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 18-10-2019, 12:37 Thread Starter

Thanks Terry. Lots of people tell us that they absolutely love their grandchildren. There is one exception. A couple who live in our village have, between them, four children with several children each. We enquired how close they lived and were told that they lived "far enough away to not be nuisance but near enough for visits on our terms". They were both retired teachers and really were tired of managing children I think.
Chris is quite taken with their philosophy
raynipper likes this.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 18-10-2019, 13:28

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Me too Pat. La Manche has been my savior.
Sadly I feel grandkids get far too much attention and not enough education or discipline.

Ray.
patp likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 18-10-2019, 14:27

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by patp View Post
Thanks Terry. Lots of people tell us that they absolutely love their grandchildren. There is one exception. A couple who live in our village have, between them, four children with several children each. We enquired how close they lived and were told that they lived "far enough away to not be nuisance but near enough for visits on our terms". They were both retired teachers and really were tired of managing children I think.
Chris is quite taken with their philosophy [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Go with the majority Pat, there’s always one or two miserable sods.

As to Ray’s comment, life’s what you make it, we set the rules and guidelines that ensures our needs come first, we don’t become a daycare facility, soft touches or child managers.

Set similar rules Pat and you’ll find it an enriching and enjoyable experience.

Don’t listen to the baa humbug merchants.

Terry
patp likes this.

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 18-10-2019, 14:55

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
Congratulations Pat to you both and your daughter

Delighted for you

Moving house would seem a bit drastic to me especially as you have only just finished yours

And three hours isn’t that far in the scheme of things

Sandra
patp likes this.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 18-10-2019, 16:04 Thread Starter

Ray, I am pretty certain that our daughter will follow in our footsteps and instil discipline into her children. She would always be under strict instructions, as a child, to "listen to Nanny and Grandad, be polite and do as they say". She was loved by her Grandparents. So much so that my Sister in Law accused my parents of favouritism over her daughter, my niece. My Sister in Law brought my niece up to believe that she was "entitled". This meant that my niece felt deprived when told, by her grandparents, not to switch on the TV without asking first and to wait until after dinner before eating a treat etc. Like so many of her generation, my niece is not happy. She blames her exam failure on the education system rather than her lack of study and every boss she works for is, according to her, "useless".

Our son in law seems to have been brought up with the same values as we used. Only time will tell and I am sure we will disagree with some aspects of their child rearing but on the whole I am looking forward to the experience.

Our daughter is a community paediatric physiotherapist and so sees, first hand, the results of bad parenting.

Terry and Sandra thank you for the kind words. I am a little bit excited
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 18-10-2019, 16:48

I'm not denying I'm a miserable sod Terry. It's what keeps me happy Meldrew style.

I will be on the ferry next week and have recollections of nearly every previous trips where gangs of youngish kids wreak havoc on board and need putting in the broom cupboard.
Running hell for leather barging into anyone in their path. Screaming at the tops of their little lungs in the recliner lounges and even the reserved lounge. Jumping from seat to seat and if any parent of guardian dare try and instill some order, the further noise and screams make them wonder why they bothered.

Of course everyone will say "Oh no not our Cherubs" in unison. But often I note many parents are blissfully unaware of their charges antics. You can hear the unruly ones across many a supermarket. Maybe they are only tuned into my hearing aids?

Ray.
patp likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 18-10-2019, 17:02 Thread Starter

It is pure laziness, Ray. A whole generation grew up believing they were entitled to be lazy. It is too much effort to instil discipline. I was listening to some young mums moaning about their toddlers antics the other day. They were all reacting to the bad behaviour instead of anticipating it and heading it off at the pass! Talk to them, engage with them! No it is all too much effort. I worked with a young mum who's only hobby, with her young kids, was to take them to the shopping mall and buy them stuff.
raynipper likes this.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 18-10-2019, 17:17

Eggzackery Pat.

Ray.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page