Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Update form Jan & Motley

9K views 140 replies 16 participants last post by  Penquin 
#1 ·
I don´t know where I got to on the other threads so will start anew.

Nothing is too much for Heike & Jürgen to do for me or Motley, the house is being turned upside down to accommodate us.
Yesterday we bought a lot of carpet runner to cover the floors because of Motley sliding on the floor covering and now he is much happier. Heike and Jürgen couldn´t be better if they were my own flesh and blood.

We left at 8am this morning arrived at Navajo 10am. It is a big place and they were working on a Saturday morning which is unusual for Germany I think, most service garages are closed all weekend.
So many ADAC vehicles there from pick ups trucks to the small vans they use, when they have made the estimate this will also be sent to Fiat as well as me to see if they will be responsible for part payment because of the low milage and year of the engine.

So, we have cleared everything out, the fridge was on electric after all so the freezer stuff is still OK. My room is now overcrowded with bags full of clothes and other things until we can find a home for them all, not as easy as in my house, they don't have the space my house has.

I also saw a solicitor yesterday who is going to find the death certificate of Hans´s father we hope, he seemed quite confident he will, its will cost a bit, but otherwise I will be waiting until 2021 before I can sell the house. There are 16 different Lands in Germany, each have their own laws and rules.

Each day becomes a little easier for Motley and for me, I couldn´t be in a more caring place.

See less See more
#3 ·
So glad that everything was all right with the fridge and freezer. You didn't need a mess to clear up. We got home to a defrosted freezer a few weeks ago because an electrical trip had gone. Not nice :(

Let's hope that Hans father's death certificate is easy to find. I have known of two people recently who died on short trips abroad. Their bodies were repatriated and so the death was also registered here but not sure what happens if they get buried in the country of death.

Heike and Jurgen are wonderful aren't they?

Hope things are a little easier now that you are settling in elsewhere. Not too many daily reminders of Hans that hurt but just the memories that you choose to call up because they are treasured.

#4 ·
Fingers crossed Jan that Fiat pick up some of the tab and that you soon have your MHome back

That will offer you freedom as well as extra storage space

I’m sure the solicitor will sort out the death certificate, it’s probably a more common occurrence than you think

Pleased you and motley seem to be settling in , Heike and Juergen are wonderful friends

Sandra

#5 ·
Fingers crossed Jan that Fiat pick up some of the tab and that you soon have your MHome back
That will offer you freedom as well as extra storage space
I'm sure the solicitor will sort out the death certificate, it's probably a more common occurrence than you think
Pleased you and motley seem to be settling in , Heike and Juergen are wonderful friends
Sandra
Jan will you buy or rent ?
Sandra

To answer your question on the other thread Sandra.
Whatever is suitable that comes up. Heike has a cousin estate agent and she also has many friends on the look out for me.
It won't be as simple as in the UK, people don´t move every 5 minutes here, they tend to live in the same house, not upsizing or down sizing as much as in the UK.
There is no terrible hurry, each day this house is being adapted to accommodate Motley and me for as long as it takes. Unfortunately the MH probably won't be close to the house, there is no big garden like mine at home, but they are trying to find a safe place to overwinter it.
This afternoon is almost a summers afternoon and they have gone to their caravan 16 km. away, they wanted me to go with them, but I said I would rather they spent the time together without me hanging on. Motley and I are now off for a walk, we have quite a nice choice of walks outside the door, no need to get in the car even.

#7 ·
The last thing I want to do is get on their nerves. At the moment they want to coddle me and look after me, but that won't last forever I'm sure. Although I have to say they are not like we were, living in each others pockets, they have separate interests.

#10 ·
In this house Pat?
Yesterday I was ill, tired and sick, today I have back ache and stiffness because of laying to long yesterday.
Jürgen took Motley for 2 walks, but at the moment he has to keep him on the lead just in case.
Although he very rarely is on a lead he walks very nicely on it.
I can´t remember the last time I was ill.

#11 ·
Oh no, sorry to hear that Jan :(

I meant in your house search. It was a priority when we were thinking of moving. Our local Market Town has no nice dog walks around it at all. They do have one small park where dogs are allowed but there is constant bickering about dogs being on there at all. We ruled it out.

#15 ·
I am really not sure what I am going to do yet. Do I stay here near to the 2 people who love me, or go back home and look for new friends there, or go home to my family in England where I can understand everybody. It is not an easy choice.

#16 ·
Good plan, Jan. Theory is you shouldn't make any life-changing decisions in any emotional situation - e.g.cancer or serious illness or bereavement. Your decision making skills are impaired whether you realise it or not!

Reactions: barryd and JanHank
#17 ·
Jan, simply acknowledge you're suffering from an overdose of stress and make a decision to make no decisions for the time being. Relax in the present. Let go and let God. (i.e. leave the issues on someone else's plate). I'm not a bible-puncher but the philosophy is good, whether or not you choose to give it religious relevance.

Reactions: barryd and JanHank
#18 ·
Sorry to hear you are unwell Jan

Have you had your flu jab?, not that I think you have flu but it just reminded me you would benefit from it

Your immune system will be lessoned by all the stress you’ve been under

In one way the fact you are feeling under the weather is good as it shows the Adrenalin you’ve been living on is subsiding and you are beginning to let go and relax in the safety of your friends

Viv is right, make no decisions that can have a long term effect, “ be still “ and give your self time and the answer will come

Take care and get well soon

Sandra

#19 ·
I'm better today Sandra, have eaten spag. bol. for lunch, my make.:grin2:
I did have terrible back ache this morning after lying down all day yesterday, didn't trust myself walking because I was so wobbly. After 3hours walking about the house I'm fine again.

#20 ·
Ok, no need to torment me with spaghetti Bol :grin2:

How about some nice over boiled mashed carrots >:)

I’m glad you are feeling better and your back is recovered or recovering now

The weather here is beautiful but chilly today and it’s said it should stay improved for a while

How’s it at your end ?

Sandra

#24 ·
Its started to rain this evening

But hey we had sunshine before

I’m hoping it will be dry tomorrow with a bit of sunshine

But who knows , even the weather forecast doesn’t always match the weather here

I may go out tomorrow for a walk with Albert and Shadow

I’ll need to hold him, it’s not that he pulls but he is a bit suspicious of other dogs

I feel more confident now that the stiffness has so much improved and I feel more steady

But it’s been a long time since I felt confident to walk outside of the house

But there is always a first to overcome

And if you can do it Jan, so can I

Sandra

#26 · (Edited)
Navajo comes nearer

This week the Navajo will come to Limburg which is 15 km from here, better than 170 km away. It will be at a proper Fiat garage, the first one was not and I imagine this garage will know what's what and where under the bonnet. They will give me an estimated, (I expect that what this strange word they use means) and unfortunately whatever it is I will have to accept after Gordon has seen it. They will contact Fiat and request help toward the cost. I am not expecting anything, but if they don't ask we would never know.
Still got a few things I would like out of the van so now I will be able to easily fetch them, tea strainer for instance, I have 2 lb of loose tea, not a strainer in this house, my potato peeler which is much quicker than the one I have to use here. Surprising the little everyday things you miss being away from your own things.

We are feeling more and more at home each day. Motley is getting quite attached to Heike and is happy to see her when she comes home, Jürgen will take a little longer, but he is playing with him and this will soon bring him round. He is allowed on the huge corner sofa and is treating it as he would ours at home.

#28 ·
A decision not to make a decision is still a decision :) So you can pat yourself on the back for doing that :)

Norfolk, the sunny county, has let us down big time so far this month :( Dog walks are a bit of a trial as the mad spaniel rushes around in long grass and field crops getting soaked whether it is raining or not! Can't wait for our new dog room.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.