Does anyone know anything about these houses? - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 23-09-2019, 16:14 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
I'm too busy looking for a camel
raynipper likes this.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 23-09-2019, 16:57

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by H1-GBV View Post
Where do you get the "easy to heat" bit from?

We bought a mobile home some years ago for our boys to live in the garden: despite insulation, double glazing and radiator-central-heating it was hot in summer (heating off, obviously) and cool in winter, with large Calor-gas bills.

We are now looking to replace it with a granny annexe for us: I think a "temporary" structure would suffice [will we outlast its 30y lifetime?] and be quicker to erect, cheaper and not require planning consent. My good lady believes in bricks and mortar. Gordon
I must admit to never having owned one Gordon.
But all the times we have visited with friends and have been very warm and they say how comfortable they are in winter.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 24-09-2019, 08:20

I think that modern ones are very well insulated with modern materials. It surprises me that they are not made of timber in a country like Germany. Wood is one of the best, natural, insulators.

We did, at one time, consider living on one of the park home sites purely for the fact that there is no gardening or maintenance to do. If we could have found one where they were more spaced out we might have investigated further.
JanHank likes this.

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 24-09-2019, 16:22

Fortunately we're lucky enough to have a large garden, so siting a mobile home is quite easy.

Unfortunately, we live outside the "allowed" development area for the village, so bricks and mortar can be more of a problem (and more expensive in the short term).

I have a Parish Councillor coming round tomorrow for an informal chat.

Gordon
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 24-09-2019, 18:35

Hmm, Gordon. I was a Parish Councillor for a while. They don't have a lot of power really. They can raise objections about a proposal as long as they are valid "planning" objections and not just moans. They can also support an application.
Your best bet is to book an appointment with a planner at the Local Authority. They will tell you all the reasons why they like or do not like your plans. From memory, if the structure is "portable" like a mobile home or log cabin, and takes a service (like electricity) from the main house you are allowed to do it. I think they look on it as more of an extra accommodation.
H1-GBV likes this.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 24-09-2019, 19:56

I thought there had been a government directive relaxing planning rules recently.?

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 24-09-2019, 20:07

They have ordered all the Local Councils to put in plans for a Local Development Framework. This is supposed to be drawn up and put to the general public for consultation. It has, of course, taken years to bring to fruition. Our Local Authority has still not finalised theirs. They are being punished by having to allow development where they would rather not have it (as in our case) because there is not definitive plan in place to allow them to refuse it. Once the plan is in place they have to have a supply of land to fulfill demand for the next five years which rolls over each year.
H1-GBV likes this.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 24-09-2019, 20:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by patp View Post
Our Local Authority has still not finalised theirs.
I recall from Cabby's Brexit Facts thread that we share the same MP, so presumably you are also in Breckland. Certainly this story is familiar!

My friend is coming round to do a job and I shall tap his thoughts on a granny annexe.

Unfortunately, our neighbour was denied planning permission because of objections from the Parish, despite support from us.

When we placed the mobile home in the garden, we had complaints raised with Breckland but we had pre-empted this by getting written permission to use it for family accommodation. As mentioned earlier, our son had facilities provided from within the house and the "mobile" had wheels (although they wouldn't pass any MOT!).

Our current thoughts would be for a more independent home and certainly sitting on the ground. Plenty of units seem to fit that brief but finding exactly what we want will require time and effort. Bricks and mortar would allow us to design everything for ourselves.

Gordon
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 25-09-2019, 07:39

We are allowed to build extensions up to a certain square footage with no planning permission needed. You will need to follow Building Control regulations. That is what was relaxed a little while ago. The regulations should all be available on line somewhere as to how big the extension has to be before you need planning approval. Might be worded as "permitted development" or similar?
raynipper likes this.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 25-09-2019, 07:56

There always was a "Permitted Development" as a percentage of the building that had been there since year dot as I remember from the 80s.

Ray.
patp likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page