Are you a hoarder? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 07:02 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Are you a hoarder?

If you are I would advise you to start having a clean up.
I have so much stuff to sift through its a nightmare.
Things Hans thought may come in useful some day tools that have been doubled and trembled like socket sets, drill sets etc.
Then there are rolls of electrical wire, all different sorts of cable, screws and nails by the million, every size you would think possible, but when he was making or fixing something he often didn't have the correct size screw and bought more.
Mains and battery Drills, woodwork tools it goes on and on. I am reluctant to just get someone to clear it all, so much stuff I can see him working with and its as if I am throwing part of him away and its heart breaking, but everything must be cleared before I can think of my next move.
Blu has been absolutely great, I dread to think what I would have done without him, who else would have cleared the loft of all the things up there, not light stuff I could have managed, things like 2 baby belling electric cookers, a gas cooker from an old caravan, all the stuff Hans took out of the Navajo, I could never have done it. Plus the simple fact he was here with me to hold me up.
On top of all that I still havenīt done things like removing his name from our bank accounts and the house ownership, I have told the pension people, now I have to learn to live on just my pension, because I live abroad I donīt get any extras and we donīt have private pensions which was a mistake I suppose.
patp, barryd and Kaytutt like this.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.

Last edited by JanHank; 11-09-2019 at 07:05.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 07:43

Yes, Jan, I am naturally a hoarder. I have learned, however, that it is not good. We had the house on the market a couple of times and that concentrated our minds on what is necessary to keep and what is not. Chris is not a hoarder but he is extremely untidy. His workshop is a mess. If I want something I can never find it because its "place" is not the same every time. Drives me nuts. We also lived in the motorhome for a few years and found out how little you actually need in life.

When Chris was very poorly I used to wonder what I would do if he did not make it or was left too poorly to do anything. I came to the conclusion that I would pack up all that I wanted and move out as soon as I could, to temporary accommodation or the motorhome, and either let someone else clear the house or make visits to the house to do it. I thought that living through the nightmare that you are going through would be too awful to contemplate.

So glad you have help. Wish I could do more.
Pudsey_Bear and JanHank like this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 07:45

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Yes is the simple answer Jan. We are both magpies and can't bear to discard anything that still have some use or life left in it.
I am always suggesting my wife discards some pointless (to me) item and she always suggests I dump all the wires and chargers.

So we go on with our prised possessions clogging up the sheds and cupboards with just in case and come in handy stuff. It will happen to us eventually as we are so often told by my minimalistic widowed sis in law. It was only weeks after Bros in law died she had cleared all trace of him from the house and shed. Just the odd photo remains.

I am guilty of keeping things for others as we are often asked if we have a spare this or that.
One point as I have kept my old printer now for probably four years just in case the 'new' one decides not to work and I can fall back on. But I am sure the old one will have inks that are now so solid as to render it useless.

Ray.
JanHank likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifeīs savings. Guess what? He robbed us of Ģ750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 10:09

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Yes, tho I have got better.

When hubby and I were going travelling for a couple of years we got the house ready for letting.

We'd had numerous house moves in our married life so I should've stripped back at each but I didn't. It was an incredibly difficult task, especially with stuff that had a sentimental attachment.

I got rid of a lot of stuff - the local charity shop asked "What kind of house do you live in - a castle?"!

But then I went through it again - and a lot more stuff went. And later, a 3rd pass, and more stuff.

The rest of the smaller stuff went into my son's attic. Over the last few months I've got rid of even more, wondering "What in earth did I keep that for?" And it helps if I say 'Someone else could be making use of that right now'.

I'm trying to be better in my small apartment, but it is difficult - it's not in my nature to be minimalist. Tho I believe in it in theory, I'm not so good at the practice!
raynipper and JanHank like this.

Jean
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 10:57
EJB

My Motorhome: Burstner Nexxo t620G
No Jan, army life teaches 'travel light' so we learnt over many years!
After my brother in law died, they also had a male lodger of a similar age, and they were both tool and appliance hoarders with 2 large sheds full.
Luckily I have a large car sized trailer which was just big enough to move it all.
I visited the biggest car boot sale in East Anglia and raised a few hundred pounds for charity.
Many items had never been used and some still boxed....a very similar list to yours but without the direct personal attachment that you have
JanHank likes this.

Ted.
I try and state simple facts in a nice way.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 11:38

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Nope, not me. I have a room 101 which is my garage which is full of junk like old windsurfers (That I think one day I might get back on if I get new knees), old motorhome bits (there is even an old Dome in there) but apart from that I bin stuff once its of no use.

I took great pleasure a while back helping a pal round the corner move house and get shot of all his old IT stuff. He had a lovely big house by the river Tees and it was full of all sorts of stuff going back to the 80s!! massive old printers and computers that cost thousands when new he just couldnt part with. Even huge collections of floppy disks! I skipped the entire lot. He was heart broken.
raynipper and JanHank like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 12:36

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Yes, he who dies with the most stuff wins, Liz will just get a clearance firm in if/when I pop off first, all her junk is in kitchen cupboards and the wardrobes.
JanHank likes this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 12:37 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Thats the big problem Barry, a lot of things I pick up to chuck I can hear him say, "but I might be able to use that one day" if it wasn't for blu reminding me, "but he won't will he" Iīd be keeping a lot of, useless to me, stuff.
barryd and raynipper like this.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 16:35

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
I do hoard bits and bobs, and probably like Hans there’s a quiet glow of satisfaction when something you’ve kept gets utilised.

Although your situation has me thinking when I’m back home I’ll do my best to have a bit of a clear out.................. maybe ?

Terry
raynipper likes this.

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 16:38

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
This thread has just reminded me to chuck out some old toilet systern and floats I kept when I renewed them just in case??

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifeīs savings. Guess what? He robbed us of Ģ750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page