User Tag List

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 15:42 Thread Starter

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Bluddy Banks

I somehow don't see why the banks are hell bent on us all using phones to access our finances. They admit fraud is rife and people are losing their lifes savings and having their bank details hacked and cash stolen in ever increasing amounts.

But they persist in trying to get us all to use mobile 'smart' gizmos and apps then warn us of the risks.
I have just received this from Nat West where they want double checks on transfers...……………

Updating your mobile number

With all these changes, it's really important that we have the correct mobile number for you so we can send you the one time passcode. Checking and updating your mobile number is easy - log into Online Banking and select 'Your details' section. If you need to update your mobile number you will need to use a card reader to authorise the transaction, if you don't have a card reader please visit the 'Security' section of Online Banking and select 'Order a card reader'.

Smarter, Stronger, Safer

Not everyone has their phone glued to their face and many of us have two phones so which number to choose? Plus in the middle of a transaction we are supposed to locate the card reader we might use once in two years and then try and remember which card and what code.??? And my wife might have THE phone with her shopping. Great when the bank decides to send this code.

This is all because of their lax and cavalier attitude to our money by putting the blame on us for losses.

Ray.
patp likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 21:36

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Ray

Did they tell you what is a 'card reader'? Because it means nothing to me.

Geoff
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 21:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
Ray

Did they tell you what is a 'card reader'? Because it means nothing to me.

Geoff
Here is a link regarding Card Readers. They are a device issued by banks that are about the size of a small calculator and which you can insert your bankcard into and generate unique Code numbers for each transaction where it is needed which the Online Bank system recognises..

https://personal.natwest.com/persona...rd-reader.html

Doug

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 21:49 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
Ray
Did they tell you what is a 'card reader'? Because it means nothing to me. Geoff
Yes Geoff.
We have several now as they are becoming common place with the big banks. Barclays, Nat West, Lloyds, etc.
It's a gizmo about the size of a small calculator you slide a nominated Credit Card or Debit Card from said bank in the slot and follow options to verify a generated code to allow completion of the transaction with another code.
But they are a pita when its' not to hand or the CC is remote.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 23:11

Hi Ray

If you try it I think you will find that that if you use the Barclays card reader when with NatWest it works and Vice versa. It seems that you can possibly use any banks card reader irrespective of the bank involved.

Doug
The Following User Says Thank You to Dougaitken For This Useful Post:
raynipper (09-08-2019)
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 23:52

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
I do most of my banking on my phone and only seldom have to use a card reader - that's if it's with a bank that uses them. I use my fingerprint to log on to the app, after having "woken" the phone with facial recognition - and often that is all that is needed. I would never want to go back to the "old ways" of doing it.
greygit likes this.

Peter
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 00:23

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
Sh1t happens, I've had my bank card compromised twice and also my recent post here about my Caxton card when it was also impacted.

Yeah a bit of hassle but my account was always reimbursed for unauthorised debits without question, never lost a penny.

Better than having the cash in your wallet disappearing via a pickpocket, no comeback there.

Terry
raynipper likes this.

The people who passed off a pair of gloves as *two* items of PPE may not be entirely honest.

'Get Brexit Done' anagram - BEING EXTORTED

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 08:06 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougaitken View Post
Hi Ray
If you try it I think you will find that that if you use the Barclays card reader when with NatWest it works and Vice versa. It seems that you can possibly use any banks card reader irrespective of the bank involved. Doug
Thanks Doug, never realised that and have been carrying two of our three card readers around when travelling, Au cas où.
But it's still a faff. Especially when we are travelling and my wife might have the phone that gets the code thats at home on the charger?

Yes I rarely carry much cash about and mostly use one of two CC's. But as you say sh1t happens and it usually happens when your away from home. Like the speeding fine and paying for the accommodation, etc.

I can't feel happy about using my phone for any financial transactions. Thats just me mainly because of hearing and or reading about so many scams. I much prefer to use a laptop within my accommodation limited to it's WI-Fi or even Ethernet. Yes I am extra cautious now.!!!!

Ray.

post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 08:08 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peribro View Post
I do most of my banking on my phone and only seldom have to use a card reader - that's if it's with a bank that uses them. I use my fingerprint to log on to the app, after having "woken" the phone with facial recognition - and often that is all that is needed. I would never want to go back to the "old ways" of doing it.
It's not fool proof Peter as some people have found out reading Computer Active.

Ray.
greygit likes this.

post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 08:19

Try the Dandy & Beano Ray, far more entertaining than that rubbish.

I ❤️ my MacBook Air

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page