Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Off Topic (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/26-off-topic/)
-   -   Bluddy Banks (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/26-off-topic/236903-bluddy-banks.html)

raynipper 08-08-2019 15:42

Bluddy Banks

I somehow don't see why the banks are hell bent on us all using phones to access our finances. They admit fraud is rife and people are losing their lifes savings and having their bank details hacked and cash stolen in ever increasing amounts.

But they persist in trying to get us all to use mobile 'smart' gizmos and apps then warn us of the risks.
I have just received this from Nat West where they want double checks on transfers...

Updating your mobile number

With all these changes, it's really important that we have the correct mobile number for you so we can send you the one time passcode. Checking and updating your mobile number is easy - log into Online Banking and select 'Your details' section. If you need to update your mobile number you will need to use a card reader to authorise the transaction, if you don't have a card reader please visit the 'Security' section of Online Banking and select 'Order a card reader'.

Smarter, Stronger, Safer

Not everyone has their phone glued to their face and many of us have two phones so which number to choose? Plus in the middle of a transaction we are supposed to locate the card reader we might use once in two years and then try and remember which card and what code.??? And my wife might have THE phone with her shopping. Great when the bank decides to send this code.

This is all because of their lax and cavalier attitude to our money by putting the blame on us for losses.

Ray.

nicholsong 08-08-2019 21:36

Ray

Did they tell you what is a 'card reader'? Because it means nothing to me.

Geoff

Dougaitken 08-08-2019 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholsong (Post 3045063)
Ray

Did they tell you what is a 'card reader'? Because it means nothing to me.

Geoff

Here is a link regarding Card Readers. They are a device issued by banks that are about the size of a small calculator and which you can insert your bankcard into and generate unique Code numbers for each transaction where it is needed which the Online Bank system recognises..

https://personal.natwest.com/persona...rd-reader.html

Doug

raynipper 08-08-2019 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholsong (Post 3045063)
Ray
Did they tell you what is a 'card reader'? Because it means nothing to me. Geoff

Yes Geoff.
We have several now as they are becoming common place with the big banks. Barclays, Nat West, Lloyds, etc.
It's a gizmo about the size of a small calculator you slide a nominated Credit Card or Debit Card from said bank in the slot and follow options to verify a generated code to allow completion of the transaction with another code.
But they are a pita when its' not to hand or the CC is remote.

Ray.

Dougaitken 08-08-2019 23:11

Hi Ray

If you try it I think you will find that that if you use the Barclays card reader when with NatWest it works and Vice versa. It seems that you can possibly use any banks card reader irrespective of the bank involved.

Doug

peribro 08-08-2019 23:52

I do most of my banking on my phone and only seldom have to use a card reader - that's if it's with a bank that uses them. I use my fingerprint to log on to the app, after having "woken" the phone with facial recognition - and often that is all that is needed. I would never want to go back to the "old ways" of doing it.

dghr272 09-08-2019 00:23

Sh1t happens, I've had my bank card compromised twice and also my recent post here about my Caxton card when it was also impacted.

Yeah a bit of hassle but my account was always reimbursed for unauthorised debits without question, never lost a penny.

Better than having the cash in your wallet disappearing via a pickpocket, no comeback there.

Terry

raynipper 09-08-2019 08:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dougaitken (Post 3045097)
Hi Ray
If you try it I think you will find that that if you use the Barclays card reader when with NatWest it works and Vice versa. It seems that you can possibly use any banks card reader irrespective of the bank involved. Doug

Thanks Doug, never realised that and have been carrying two of our three card readers around when travelling, Au cas o.
But it's still a faff. Especially when we are travelling and my wife might have the phone that gets the code thats at home on the charger?

Yes I rarely carry much cash about and mostly use one of two CC's. But as you say sh1t happens and it usually happens when your away from home. Like the speeding fine and paying for the accommodation, etc.

I can't feel happy about using my phone for any financial transactions. Thats just me mainly because of hearing and or reading about so many scams. I much prefer to use a laptop within my accommodation limited to it's WI-Fi or even Ethernet. Yes I am extra cautious now.!!!!

Ray.

raynipper 09-08-2019 08:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by peribro (Post 3045103)
I do most of my banking on my phone and only seldom have to use a card reader - that's if it's with a bank that uses them. I use my fingerprint to log on to the app, after having "woken" the phone with facial recognition - and often that is all that is needed. I would never want to go back to the "old ways" of doing it.

It's not fool proof Peter as some people have found out reading Computer Active.

Ray.

Drew 09-08-2019 08:19

Try the Dandy & Beano Ray, far more entertaining than that rubbish.