Which smart phone? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 22-07-2019, 10:47 Thread Starter

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Which smart phone?

I feel like a bit of a traitor seeing as I persuaded Jan to purchase an iPhone but I am thinking I am finally going to have to make the leap to a better smartphone myself but I just cannot justify the cost of a new or newish iPhone. Ive had a 4s for donkeys years and its been superb but I have found on this trip its getting to the stage where its unusable. Battery is clearly knackered, screen to small for my ever weakening eyesight but also it now struggles with modern websites and forums. I never wanted a big phone but I think I am going to have to have one and I think due to cost its going to have to be Android which I know next to nothing about.

Main requirements are:

Superb battery life and ability to charge quickly from USB in the van
Good email app (I see you can download Outlook for Android but no idea if its any good)
Torch that stays on for reading with
Music (headphone socket)
Wifi and 4g

Thats about it really, not fussed about apps although Google Translate is useful.

Reading up I found that some of the basic Motorola phones have a 5000mha battery that lasts ages and is also quick charge. I came across these two which are cheap as chips.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorola-...EAAOSw94NcyFgR

https://tinyurl.com/yxb2wsgw

It would be nice to have a Motorola as my very first mobile in 89/90 was the first snazzy Motorola flip phone which was an unbelievable £3000! (not that I paid for it of course)

What I Cant understand is why they are so cheap compared to Apple. Whats the catch? I dont want anything expensive if for no other reason than I will lose it or more likely break it.

Any thoughts?
JanHank likes this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

Last edited by barryd; 22-07-2019 at 10:50.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 22-07-2019, 11:45

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Just to let you know I have seen it, Traitor
HurricaneSmith, barryd and Kaytutt like this.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 22-07-2019, 12:11

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Computer Active magazine is always banging on about the Motorola Moto G at about £220. It's been their most recommended phone for some time now.
Personally I don't see any reason to pay over £100 and apart from the Mail App failing on my old HTC, I am very happy with the new one priced £90 delivered.

Ray.
barryd likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 22-07-2019, 12:47 Thread Starter

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
Personal Aire
Well the E5 plus in the second link ticks a lot of boxes, the Play version I linked to only has half the battery capacity apparently. That e5 plus is on offer at £110 in Amazon but can I feck find how to get one delivered to the Bridlington Branch. It has a massive 5000mha battery but its also massive itself. How the hell do you put it in your pocket?

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 22-07-2019, 13:15

My Motorhome: Auto-Sleeper EK TB LP
Personal Aire
I have a Galaxy S7, find it does all I need and battery life is OK, the main thing it is not too large and easily fits in my pocket although I use a leather case with a belt clip.
I have just bought one for Karen as her old phone was playing up https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283461621037 she likes it which is saying something.
barryd and raynipper like this.

Barry
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 22-07-2019, 16:30

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
I feel like a bit of a traitor seeing as I persuaded Jan to purchase an iPhone but I am thinking I am finally going to have to make the leap to a better smartphone myself but I just cannot justify the cost of a new or newish iPhone. Ive had a 4s for donkeys years and its been superb but I have found on this trip its getting to the stage where its unusable. Battery is clearly knackered, screen to small for my ever weakening eyesight but also it now struggles with modern websites and forums. I never wanted a big phone but I think I am going to have to have one and I think due to cost its going to have to be Android which I know next to nothing about.

Main requirements are:

Superb battery life and ability to charge quickly from USB in the van
Good email app (I see you can download Outlook for Android but no idea if its any good)
Torch that stays on for reading with
Music (headphone socket)
Wifi and 4g

Thats about it really, not fussed about apps although Google Translate is useful.

Reading up I found that some of the basic Motorola phones have a 5000mha battery that lasts ages and is also quick charge. I came across these two which are cheap as chips.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorola-...EAAOSw94NcyFgR

https://tinyurl.com/yxb2wsgw

It would be nice to have a Motorola as my very first mobile in 89/90 was the first snazzy Motorola flip phone which was an unbelievable £3000! (not that I paid for it of course)

What I Cant understand is why they are so cheap compared to Apple. Whats the catch? I dont want anything expensive if for no other reason than I will lose it or more likely break it.

Any thoughts?

You should know the answer to that Baz being an IT "expert".
Remember the compact cassette, there where lots of alternatives but Philips decided to give theirs free to the world so it became the dominant system, the same goes for the DVD, MP3 system, Android and not forgetting Linux which is the most dominant software used that powers routers, servers, microwaves, switches, fridges even my electric bike conversion.
The reason that Apple are so expensive is because people are willing to pay for the name, that is why Android phones are the dominant ones as they do the same job and are value for money which the majority of people look for.

Barry

Last edited by Matchlock; 22-07-2019 at 16:36.
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 22-07-2019, 16:43 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Virtually had nothing to do with Android apart from setting up about 15 tablets last summer for an educational client. I just plugged them in, made sure they worked and passed them on. Everyone I work with has Apple. The Motorola E5 sounds ok if for no other reason than the massive battery but I suspect it will also take an age to charge!

post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 22-07-2019, 17:30

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
Virtually had nothing to do with Android apart from setting up about 15 tablets last summer for an educational client. I just plugged them in, made sure they worked and passed them on. Everyone I work with has Apple. The Motorola E5 sounds ok if for no other reason than the massive battery but I suspect it will also take an age to charge!

I have used Apple PC's in the past but found them very restricted, I preferred windows of which I can have influence over rather than be constrained to someone elses idea of what I should have, as you can guess I don't like to be told what to do but like to take an independent course, If you like to be safe and led by the nose then there is no problem with being an Apple fan.
I prefer Android because I can choose what I want to do with it without any external interface, it empowers me, bit like my thoughts on Brexit

Barry
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 22-07-2019, 18:17

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 610
I recently upgraded my iPhone 7 to iPhone XR - still does the same job but a bit quicker, a bit larger, and a better battery life plus Face ID which I actually like. I am so enmeshed into iOS that I didn't see any need to go with Android

Baz - if you go to an Apple shop, you can trade your old iPhone in for a new one on a 0% interest deal which frankly is an excellent deal as is any 0% credit deal. however, the bank behind the deal - Barclays - turned down my loan application as I have no credit or loans so they don't like people like me. so I bought the XR outright on a good trade in on the 7.
barryd and bc109 like this.

and the Lord said unto John "come forth and receive eternal life". but John came fifth and won a toaster........
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 22-07-2019, 20:18 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuddha View Post
I recently upgraded my iPhone 7 to iPhone XR - still does the same job but a bit quicker, a bit larger, and a better battery life plus Face ID which I actually like. I am so enmeshed into iOS that I didn't see any need to go with Android

Baz - if you go to an Apple shop, you can trade your old iPhone in for a new one on a 0% interest deal which frankly is an excellent deal as is any 0% credit deal. however, the bank behind the deal - Barclays - turned down my loan application as I have no credit or loans so they don't like people like me. so I bought the XR outright on a good trade in on the 7.
What are they? £800 or thereabouts? I wouldn't dare take it out. I Wouldnt be fussed about a loan but I would probably have the same problem as you. Ive only ever had one debt which was a mortgage I paid off about 14 years ago.
Drew and JanHank like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page