Self Building a Bungalow. - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 06:51 Thread Starter

Self Building a Bungalow.

Just wondered if we had any self builders on here?

We have been lucky enough to secure planning permission to build a bungalow on our land. We are very excited!

A little background is that we sold some land to a developer but saved enough, next to us, in case we wanted to build to sell in the future. Much to our surprise the planners were not happy with putting one next to us and suggested it would be better behind our cottage. Well knock me down with a feather! For years they had refused any attempts for people to "backfill" houses in our village. Now they are telling us to put one there and they will recommend it for approval. And it got approved!

Chris and I are hoping to project manage it ourselves. He is a time served plumber and can turn his hands to most things. Of course these things must be within his physical capabilities now.
We have renovated three old properties and he and our daughter built a large extension to her bungalow.

The plans have been returned to the architect for some tweaking so that the main living rooms face South and West (why do architects fail to do this?).

I am not a fan of en suite bathrooms so have asked for that to be removed from the original plan. What do others think? The bathroom will be next door to the master bedroom just not in it.

It will be a three bedroom bungalow. I have asked for a dining room rather than any kitchen/diner or lounge/diner type layout.

There should also be a large boot/mud room with a wash down facility for the ever muddy Spaniel!
HermanHymer and JanHank like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:18

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Snap. Good luck with it Pat. We've just bought sites and are about to do the same in Spain. Just deciding whether we'll have a traditional build, which I don't really understand in Spain, or a wooden building. There are some lovely wooden buildings around so that may be the thing for us. It will be fun for all of us I hope.
patp, dghr272 and JanHank like this.

Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will.
Joseph Goebbels
post #3 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:27

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Sounds great Pat to get the house just as you would like. Obviously we all have different requirements but several things would be on our list.
South facing rear with a large conservatory to heat the house.
Two bathrooms at least and maybe an extra toilet for garden use.
Yes a 'utility' room for the white goods with drain in the floor for easy cleaning and any washing machine leaks.

Ray.
patp likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

post #4 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 09:15

My Motorhome: Swift KonTiki 669
Personal Aire
The one thing I miss most in my bungalow is the cupboard under the stairs we have a cupboard in the hallway which has been christened "the cupboard under the stairs

A seperate utility room would be a must for me. I like a kitchen/diner, it's much more social

I'm not a fan of en-suite's either so a seperate bathroom sounds good but another cloakroom loo near the bootroom/utility room would be useful

are you going to use the attic space? We have never converted ours, we just never got around to it and we plan to sell next year so it's pointless now but a bungalow has a big footrprint therefore usually a large attic space, if I were going to do mine now it would be half library/study room and half dressing room
patp, raynipper and JanHank like this.

Before you criticise someone walk a mile in their shoes, that way you are a mile away and have their shoes too
post #5 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 09:34

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
Good luck with your plans.

From the large volumes of TV programs about self building the main issues always appear to be factoring in a good cash contingency to account for overspend and a realistic time line for the build.

A good understanding of materials lead delivery times will certainly help get it up in the allotted time, unfortunately the weather can't be controlled but can cause serious delays if inclement weather hits you.

Getting the required design right from the start will also make it easier as changes to design after building has started will add time and costs.

Terry
patp likes this.

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
post #6 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 11:54 Thread Starter

Ooh some good ideas and some good advice.

Having just, at great cost, renovated our old cottage I know not to make some of the mistakes again. South and West facing windows are a must and we will have views from them.

Lighting. We made a big mistake in listening to the electrician and putting led ceiling spots everywhere downstairs. They are far too harsh. I would like one central light and lots of lamps controlled by a central switch.

Cupboard space is important as Kaytutt says. We had an old walk in pantry which we lost. I so miss it for things like boots and umbrellas etc.

Hmmm - good point about the loft space. It seems a waste to leave it empty and something in this months Which? magazine, about future proofing your home, mentions allocating space for live in carers. The loft might well serve that purpose Not sure we could ever afford live in carers but it would only mean making sure the services were up there to make it into a studio apartment. Might also serve a grandchild if we ever get any?

A walk in shower is on my list. We used to have one but practicalities on the renovation meant we could not fit one in again. I hate the new shower trays.

Anyone know the regulations on heating now? I am pretty sure you are only allowed to install air or ground source heat pumps? A couple of friends who installed them say they are not up to the job??
post #7 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 12:04

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
One thing buyers look for these days would be the ensuite bathroom, great invention why would no one like them I have to ask?

Liz built a hose a few years ago, a quite stressful task and she's no shrinking violet, we did look at some plots before buying this place though as although stressful she enjoyed the challenge, she doesn't come on here (though I suspect she reads threads) so can't help.
post #8 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 12:12 Thread Starter

En-suite bathrooms are going out of fashion. There will be a bathroom right next door to the Master Bedroom just not inside it! My problem is that they are noisy, smelly, and damp. All the things you don't want in a bedroom
We will probably have another shower room in or near the boot/dog room.
Drew and JanHank like this.
post #9 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 12:33

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
We intend using some new generation AC units. They act as heat pumps when reversed and will serve well enough in Spain I think. Not so much in the UK with it's colder longer winters I'd guess though.
patp likes this.

Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will.
Joseph Goebbels
post #10 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 13:47 Thread Starter

Lucky you What area of Spain will you be in?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page