Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Self Building a Bungalow.

8K views 114 replies 18 participants last post by  patp 
#1 ·
Just wondered if we had any self builders on here?

We have been lucky enough to secure planning permission to build a bungalow on our land. We are very excited!

A little background is that we sold some land to a developer but saved enough, next to us, in case we wanted to build to sell in the future. Much to our surprise the planners were not happy with putting one next to us and suggested it would be better behind our cottage. Well knock me down with a feather! For years they had refused any attempts for people to "backfill" houses in our village. Now they are telling us to put one there and they will recommend it for approval. And it got approved!

Chris and I are hoping to project manage it ourselves. He is a time served plumber and can turn his hands to most things. Of course these things must be within his physical capabilities now.
We have renovated three old properties and he and our daughter built a large extension to her bungalow.

The plans have been returned to the architect for some tweaking so that the main living rooms face South and West (why do architects fail to do this?).

I am not a fan of en suite bathrooms so have asked for that to be removed from the original plan. What do others think? The bathroom will be next door to the master bedroom just not in it.

It will be a three bedroom bungalow. I have asked for a dining room rather than any kitchen/diner or lounge/diner type layout.

There should also be a large boot/mud room with a wash down facility for the ever muddy Spaniel!

See less See more
#2 ·
Snap. Good luck with it Pat. We've just bought sites and are about to do the same in Spain. Just deciding whether we'll have a traditional build, which I don't really understand in Spain, or a wooden building. There are some lovely wooden buildings around so that may be the thing for us. It will be fun for all of us I hope.

#3 ·
Sounds great Pat to get the house just as you would like. Obviously we all have different requirements but several things would be on our list.
South facing rear with a large conservatory to heat the house.
Two bathrooms at least and maybe an extra toilet for garden use.
Yes a 'utility' room for the white goods with drain in the floor for easy cleaning and any washing machine leaks.

Ray.

Reactions: patp
#4 ·
The one thing I miss most in my bungalow is the cupboard under the stairs :serious: we have a cupboard in the hallway which has been christened "the cupboard under the stairs :wink2:

A seperate utility room would be a must for me. I like a kitchen/diner, it's much more social

I'm not a fan of en-suite's either so a seperate bathroom sounds good but another cloakroom loo near the bootroom/utility room would be useful

are you going to use the attic space? We have never converted ours, we just never got around to it and we plan to sell next year so it's pointless now but a bungalow has a big footrprint therefore usually a large attic space, if I were going to do mine now it would be half library/study room and half dressing room

#5 ·
Good luck with your plans.

From the large volumes of TV programs about self building the main issues always appear to be factoring in a good cash contingency to account for overspend and a realistic time line for the build.

A good understanding of materials lead delivery times will certainly help get it up in the allotted time, unfortunately the weather can't be controlled but can cause serious delays if inclement weather hits you.

Getting the required design right from the start will also make it easier as changes to design after building has started will add time and costs.

Terry

#6 ·
Ooh some good ideas and some good advice.

Having just, at great cost, renovated our old cottage I know not to make some of the mistakes again. South and West facing windows are a must and we will have views from them.

Lighting. We made a big mistake in listening to the electrician and putting led ceiling spots everywhere downstairs. They are far too harsh. I would like one central light and lots of lamps controlled by a central switch.

Cupboard space is important as Kaytutt says. We had an old walk in pantry which we lost. I so miss it for things like boots and umbrellas etc.

Hmmm - good point about the loft space. It seems a waste to leave it empty and something in this months Which? magazine, about future proofing your home, mentions allocating space for live in carers. The loft might well serve that purpose :) Not sure we could ever afford live in carers but it would only mean making sure the services were up there to make it into a studio apartment. Might also serve a grandchild if we ever get any?

A walk in shower is on my list. We used to have one but practicalities on the renovation meant we could not fit one in again. I hate the new shower trays.

Anyone know the regulations on heating now? I am pretty sure you are only allowed to install air or ground source heat pumps? A couple of friends who installed them say they are not up to the job??

#7 ·
One thing buyers look for these days would be the ensuite bathroom, great invention why would no one like them I have to ask?

Liz built a hose a few years ago, a quite stressful task and she's no shrinking violet, we did look at some plots before buying this place though as although stressful she enjoyed the challenge, she doesn't come on here (though I suspect she reads threads) so can't help.

#8 ·
En-suite bathrooms are going out of fashion. There will be a bathroom right next door to the Master Bedroom just not inside it! My problem is that they are noisy, smelly, and damp. All the things you don't want in a bedroom :)
We will probably have another shower room in or near the boot/dog room.

#11 ·
Reactions: erneboy and patp
#14 ·
@erneboy
Unless you intend to build on the Costa del Sol, I suggest that AC units on their own won't cope with the Spanish winters.
We have AC inverter units, that is, cold or heat pumps, but also have a 10 KW pellet stove which costs just less than one and a half euros a day average to run through the cold months.

Who wants to be cold ?

Bill

#16 ·
We have built two bungalows a 2 bed and a 5 bed, even if you dont want to put rooms up in the roof I would put the roof trusses on just incase.
The difference in price from attic trusses to room trusses is not that much more, and even if you never use it, when you want to sell, it will add a lot more value as they wont have to take the roof of to make it into bedrooms. I would also put windows in the pine end walls. [ easier and cheaper to do when building than to do after ]

Peter.

#17 ·
We have influence over room sizes at this stage. I am not a fan of huge rooms as they make me restless. We, like many other, knocked two rooms into one in our first Victorian house. I hated it. I like cosy. Of course we have to consider resale value though hopefully that won't affect us :)
What is the minimum size room that others could cope with?
In our traditionally built cottage, the original two up two down cottage part has rooms of about 12ft square. The later addition two rooms are slightly larger. I have found these sizes fine. Big enough to get furniture in and still have floor space over.

#18 ·
Oh gosh Pat we like space. Our lounge/diner/kitchen is about 11m. x 5m. and still not large enough. The chef is never isolated from the diners or chats in the lounge. And or can see the TV at the other end of the room. So we do like space and feel hemmed in when visiting friends in small old quaint village rooms.
Any adds you see advertising kitchens, bathrooms and bedrooms are always vast and probably a 'set'. But it seems thats what people want.

Ray.

#19 ·
Funnily enough, Ray, the two new, open plan high spec, bungalows built on the plot next to us have been retrofitted with "dividers" between the kitchen and dining room. They were not selling and I think the feedback must have been that they were too open plan. I think that, for some, the divider might be a good compromise.
I never entertain and if I did I would not want people interfering with me while I cooked.

Of course we should consider resale and might take an estate agents advice.

#20 ·
I guess chalk and cheese Pat. We usually dine with friends at least 2 or 3 times a week, in and out. Next month back to back visitors as well as D-Day events.

Ray.

#21 ·
I too prefer on suite, for privacy

Not sure where you get the damp smelly room from

I guess it depends on the number of people in the house, if there is just the two then privacy wouldn’t be the same issue

I also prefer the large open plan kitchen , although mine is L shaped

We seem to spend a lot of time in there, particularly when friends and family come round

We can cook, eat and talk and the kids have instant access to the biscuit tin and the ice cream cornets in the fridge

We have a sitting room just off the dining area so I guess that gives a place for some to go

Once it was a library with floor to ceiling shelves for books

But that was when there were eight of us studying etc

And the books have now been dispersed throughout the family and only two bookcases remain of mainly reference books

The house has changed function many times , walls have been removed , the original doorway into the smaller lounge from the hall has been blocked off inside the lounge , but the door remains, if in future owners wish to open it again

I wouldn’t like a lounge / dining room , although many do

So basically it’s down to choice

Sandra

#22 ·
Ensuites dont need to be noisy, smelly and damp.Just needs adequate ventilation (natural and/or mechanical).The fans these days can be very quiet.Also led downlighters dont need to be harsh.We've got warm glow bulbs on a dimmer switch and they are excellent.

Reactions: Matchlock
#23 ·
A shower generates steam, a toilet generates smells and the whole en suite can generate noise. I like my bedroom to be calm and quiet. As you say, all about personal choice. When they first became fashionable bathrooms were often shared with many family members and so ensuites gave you your own little space.

This has made me wonder about giving the guest bedroom an ensuite? What do others think?

If we do entertain, Ray, I like to be left alone in the kitchen and then to leave the kitchen behind when we eat. Another move , then, to the lounge/living room away from the sight and smell of the cooking/eating area.

#24 ·
Maybe Pat with the size of our main room being so large and a extractor at the kitchen end we don't notice smells lingering. We never cook fish indoors and baking smalls are nice. In fact too nice.!
We have a 'bar' between the kitchen and diner and my wife usually prepares well before the guests arrive. It's only the last minute titivating and she likes to be in the conversation and not isolated to another room. It works for us.
If you find any humidity after taking showers, theres always the option to open a window or vent for 30 mins to change the air.

Ray.

Attachments

#25 ·
Yes as beautiful as I remember it Ray

We have French doors out of the kitchen and four ventalux windows in the roof , as well as three opening windows , so no excuse for lingering smells

The dining room has no windows but does have French doors out of it , and is open plan to the hall

I’m also a morning cook, legacy of my years in Israel , and also the months spent in Athens in the heat of summer, all preparations are done early

In fact I’ve just finished cooking a large boiled ham , as I’m expecting to feed my granddaughter who is coming to stay and her brother who will probably also stay once he gets here

Hot with jersey potatoes, cauliflower cheese and green beans and plenty left for sliced boiled ham cold !!

Cheese sauce made, veg prepped ready to go :grin2:

Sandra

#27 ·
Our house was built for 2 people, us 2 😄

I wish I'd had an extractor fan installed, it's still here up in the loft, couldn't put up with workmen in the house installing it now so it's Windows open and inside doors shut, but I don't always remember. 😤
We have a separate kitchen and dining room, but a serving batch to connect the two.
There is a guest room upstairs that gets used once in a blue moon, wish we'd thought about putting a shower 🚿 and loo up there Pat, unfortunately it's not so easy because it's on the wrong side for water and waste. Could do with a second loo when we both want to go at the same time.😣

#28 ·
If you are planning for resale.

This is really a bungalow, but things got changed as it was being built.
The builder advised us to have a couple of extra blocks before putting the roof on, this way if you do extend upwards you have plenty of headroom. Its all spare up there, very good for getting things out of the way and I have a ginormous sewing room.
The other end is where we have made a guest room in case anyone wants to visit us from afar. :grin2:
We could even put a conservatory out there on top of the garage/workshop roof, I sometimes go out there to survey the fields when the crops are high, I can see if any deer are about.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.