Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Off Topic (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/26-off-topic/)
-   -   Lying TV adds (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/26-off-topic/236027-lying-tv-adds.html)

raynipper 30-04-2019 20:44

Lying TV adds

I have just seen an add on ITV for a better life and world if you fit a 'smart' meter.?
The only thing they are good for is doing without meter readers and raising bills.

Our old mechanical electric meter is over 25 years old and going strong. I wonder how long the 'smart' one will last before it has to be changed for an even smarter one.?

Ray.

Penquin 30-04-2019 20:54

We have just been compelled to have the new French meter it glows in the dark depending upon how much electricity you are using - "That's nice" seems appropriate......

Supposedly we will get accurate meter based bills with bills each month depending on that - in which case why are EDF still deducting EXACTLY the same amount each month by Direct Debit?

This one seems so complex that you need a degree in Gizmology in order to understand it...

They gave us TWO leaflets which are about as useful as a cat flap on a submarine....

That's called PROGRESS !

My GOM apron is now well worn..... and totally accurate......

raynipper 30-04-2019 21:19

My efd bills for the past 25 years have been exactly what I consume as every two months an automated e-mail asks the reading and I give it. It then sends a bill and is debited 2 weeks later. All very accurate.
They have been trying to fit a smart meter since January and haven't managed it yet. But I dread them changing my EJP tariff surreptitiously as edf wants to stop this advantageous tariff.

Ray.

dghr272 30-04-2019 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penquin (Post 3028907)
We have just been compelled to have the new French meter it glows in the dark depending upon how much electricity you are using - "That's nice" seems appropriate......

Supposedly we will get accurate meter based bills with bills each month depending on that - in which case why are EDF still deducting EXACTLY the same amount each month by Direct Debit?

This one seems so complex that you need a degree in Gizmology in order to understand it...

They gave us TWO leaflets which are about as useful as a cat flap on a submarine....

That's called PROGRESS !

My GOM apron is now well worn..... and totally accurate......

If the French meter change process is anything like the UK, EDF billing might not be aware that the change has occurred therefore your DD isn’t changed. At the very least you should get a bill to date of removal of your old meter and notification of the opening reading on your new meter I would have thought.

I’ve worked 30 years in the electricity metering and billing arena and could write a book on the horror stories.

Terry

Penquin 01-05-2019 07:08

We are still waiting after 3 months....

EJB 01-05-2019 07:40

I had to submit to one because the best fixed price deal required it!
It's only for electric but I still can't see where the saving is....I used to take a reading, or a meter reader did, then I paid for what we used!?
I can only assume that they get the meters from a charity and the people that fit them are on free work placements therefore there is no cost to the customer?
I have seen it suggested that the flashing lights and extra radio waves are supposed to hypnotise and remove any common sense it finds in the occupants?

raynipper 01-05-2019 07:45

Neighbour next door and a holiday home was advised efd wanted to change her meter for a 'smart' one and gave a date. She came back to stay at the holiday home all last week. They eventually turned up a day late and after examination said can't be done? Something to do with her meter being outside, so they left. They could have don't mine at the same time but obviously can't organise things like that. Bunch of pathetic monkeys that we all pay for.

Ray.

dghr272 01-05-2019 07:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penquin (Post 3028959)
We are still waiting after 3 months....

Time yet then. :wink2:

Our company provided expert billing staff to an English electrickery supply company to help sort their billing problems out, they found it quite normal for meter exchanges not having been processed correctly 12 months after they'd taken place.

For anyone having a meter exchange completed it's really advisable to make sure you get copies of the meter readings of the removed meter and the newly fitted meter.

Terry

raynipper 01-05-2019 07:50

Agreed Terry. I plan on taking pics of the old and new meters. Plus the workmanship at the time.

Ray.

dghr272 01-05-2019 07:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by raynipper (Post 3028965)
Neighbour next door and a holiday home was advised efd wanted to change her meter for a 'smart' one and gave a date. She came back to stay at the holiday home all last week. They eventually turned up a day late and after examination said can't be done? Something to do with her meter being outside, so they left. They could have don't mine at the same time but obviously can't organise things like that. Bunch of pathetic monkeys that we all pay for.

Ray.

Sounds like a good old nationalised industry practice Ray. >:)

We would have operated like that until we were privatised, after that efficiency kicked in with metering staff being issued with lists of potential changes in close-by post code areas.

Terry