Lying TV adds - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 08:03 Thread Starter

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Yes I worked for SEEBOARD from 1956 to 1962 for slave wages called an apprenticeship.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 08:17

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJB View Post
I had to submit to one because the best fixed price deal required it!
It's only for electric but I still can't see where the saving is....I used to take a reading, or a meter reader did, then I paid for what we used!?
I can only assume that they get the meters from a charity and the people that fit them are on free work placements therefore there is no cost to the customer?
I have seen it suggested that the flashing lights and extra radio waves are supposed to hypnotise and remove any common sense it finds in the occupants?
The cost of meter reading was by far the smallest portion of your bill, the main costs being generation followed by distribution.

As to meter costs, when an old electro-mechanical meter reached the end of its certified life we would have removed them and bench tested them on mass to recertify them for refitting, they're scrapped now as a new non-smart meter costs about £7.

The drive to fit costly £60-70 smart meters is government lead and designed to drive customer energy efficiency. The supply companies bear the cost of the meter and fitting and yes it's passed on to the customer via the 'supply companies' element of your bill.

The next range of Ultra Smart Meters will be able to check with all available suppliers for the best tariff deal for your usage, and automatically change your supplier........... may your gods help you all as no human will be able to.

As to the flashing lights AND the internal listening device, having signed the Official Secrets Act, I can't possibly respond.

Terry
nicholsong likes this.

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 08:22

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
Yes I worked for SEEBOARD from 1956 to 1962 for slave wages called an apprenticeship.

Ray.
Ah, you would have been halfway to being a Meter Reader Ray, in our nationalised days, only carded electricians could apply for a Meter Readers job per the company union agreement.

Terry

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

The Following User Says Thank You to dghr272 For This Useful Post:
raynipper (01-05-2019)

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 08:53 Thread Starter

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
I gather there are two ways the 'smart' meter transmits your consumption. One via 3G and two via the power lines.
We are lucky to get 2 bars of 2G so I guess our 'Linkey' meter will transmit via the power line.
https://www.enedis.fr/linky-communicating-meter

I wondered if I slapped two very strong magnets either side of the new meter if it might mess up the transmission and I would get my old meter back. But somehow can't see that happening.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 09:07

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
I gather there are two ways the 'smart' meter transmits your consumption. One via 3G and two via the power lines.
We are lucky to get 2 bars of 2G so I guess our 'Linkey' meter will transmit via the power line.
https://www.enedis.fr/linky-communicating-meter

I wondered if I slapped two very strong magnets either side of the new meter if it might mess up the transmission and I would get my old meter back. But somehow can't see that happening.

Ray.
Good try but no cigar Ray.

The magnets worked well on the old disc turning meters as they slowed the disc down, although they also weakened the internal magnet so when you took them off the disc spun faster as its brake effect was reduce. Not many people knew that.

There's another old wives tale that a bag of sugar on the meter slows it down, I have witnessed such an attempt.

The favourite was a six inch nail stuck through a hole drilled in the side of the meter to stop the disc.

The telecoms version is the preferred fit as the PLC (power line carrier) system only works until the first substation when it is intercepted and then electronically transferred to a mainframe.

Terry

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 09:20

My Motorhome: swift sundance 620fb
hi terry

was it not also possible to reverse the power and make the meter run backwards

barry
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 09:59

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplus View Post
hi terry

was it not also possible to reverse the power and make the meter run backwards

barry
Yes another well used method, we called it a 'black box' attachment. With basic knowledge a common battery charger could be converted into such a device, it was attached to the + input and output cables at the meter.

To counteract this meter manufacturers fitted a non reverse mechanism, a meter then depending on the build of the box, would either just stop or slow the meter advance. Folk often forgot to remove these devices before the reader called and were therefore caught red handed. Our readers would have at first immediately removed the box but they became so badly built and dangerous they reported them for a special RPU (revenue protection unit) visit. Saturday overtime reading was a good day to find these as they didn't expect the reader.

Even those who did remove them were caught as attaching the box cables causes arcing and sunsequent tell tale burn marks on the backboard.

A novel story we had related to this was at the height of the troubles security forces were tipped off about a lot of suspected terrorist activity at a rural bungalow, on a early morning raid it was discovered to be an entrepreneur manufacturing, on a production line scale, black boxes for sale to the public, it was the volume of public buyers cars that kicked off the raid.

Terry
Penquin and raynipper like this.

post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 11:58

Smart meters were introduced to tell us, the consumer, how much energy each appliance used. It was hoped that we would alter our wicked ways and not boil the kettle or do the washing. When they first came out you could borrow one from the library and be suitably horrified at the cost of a cup of tea.
Once that information is absorbed then what is the point of a smart meter? We returned ours to the library and used the information it gave us to alter, or not, our behaviour when using electrical appliances. Why would we need to keep looking at it?

Can anyone tell me why this system, of borrowed smart meters, has been replaced with the hugely more expensive fitted system?
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 12:16

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by patp View Post
Smart meters were introduced to tell us, the consumer, how much energy each appliance used. It was hoped that we would alter our wicked ways and not boil the kettle or do the washing. When they first came out you could borrow one from the library and be suitably horrified at the cost of a cup of tea.
Once that information is absorbed then what is the point of a smart meter? We returned ours to the library and used the information it gave us to alter, or not, our behaviour when using electrical appliances. Why would we need to keep looking at it?

Can anyone tell me why this system, of borrowed smart meters, has been replaced with the hugely more expensive fitted system?

It's a government scheme agreed with Supply Company's to roll out 50m smart meters by 2020.

As with most government schemes they have made a mess of it, only the lastest smart meters SMET2 communicate with a central body enabling all suppliers to access the data, the first meters SMET1 were supplier specific, meaning if you had one and changed supplier they may not be unable to get its data therefore it's a waste of space.

And guess who pays... yep you and me.

A wise old guy at work explained that the smart meter will only drive consumer efficiency once we all find electricity costs really prohibitive. So if you can afford it you won't really care, a bit like car fuel costs rising but we still fill up the tank and drive !

Terry

post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 12:26

Yes, Terry, that is my point.
Once we know how much it costs to boil a kettle we do not need the smart meter any more. So, why was the "borrow one from your library" scheme not adopted more widely rather than the huge expense of the current (sorry!) "fitted in your house" scheme?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page