If only I had a better command of the language. - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 16-04-2019, 10:21 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
If only I had a better command of the language.

Yesterday I went shopping, first time for over 2 weeks. Monday, hopefully a slack day.
5 tills were open I had a trolley full as you can imagine and I had my freezer bag and shopping box as usual.
There I am packing things away and a voice behind me said, in German of course, Pack that when youre outside.
I kept my back to him otherwise he might have dropped dead if Id have looked at him.
Guess what I did instead, I took a very long time packing stuff, making sure it was all neat and tidy
When I did turn to look he had about 3 things in his trolly and the idiot had decided to come behind me when the till next door had others with just a few items and was moving very quickly.
If Id have thought out what to say to him I could have said in his language, "Your lucky my husband is not with me because you'd still be waiting in half an hours time".
Had he have been there before the cashier started putting my stuff through I would have invited him to go in front.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 16-04-2019, 10:44

In the UK when in either Lidl's or Aldi you are expected to pack your shopping on the shelf away from the tills.

In any of the other supermarkets they don't seem to bother, the checkout girls/lads in Tesco and Morrisons always ask "Do you need help in packing".
Webby1 likes this.

Loch Sloy
This I'll Defend

I would prefer to say that I am British rather than European.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 16-04-2019, 10:47

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Some people have a sense or urgency Jan and some don't. We can't all be the same.
But checkouts can get some people aggravated the same as fuelling up or sticking to the speed limits.
The French are great. If your behind them you don't exist.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifes savings. Guess what? He robbed us of 750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 16-04-2019, 10:59

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 85 2007
Personal Aire
I was in B&Qs yesterday.
The mum and son team in front of me insisted on paying for their goods in loose change and spent half an hour counting out the payment.
I smartly changed lanes when they lost count and had to start again!
raynipper likes this.

I'm not signing anything.

The two impulses in travel are to get away from home, and the other is to pursue something - a landscape, people, an exotic place. Certainly finding a place that you like or discovering something unusual is a very sustaining thing in travel.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 16-04-2019, 12:19 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacerunner View Post
I was in B&Qs yesterday.
The mum and son team in front of me insisted on paying for their goods in loose change and spent half an hour counting out the payment.
I smartly changed lanes when they lost count and had to start again!
Very sensible. I'm not double packing over 100.00 worth of groceries for anyone.
Never had to pack any shopping away from the till in any shop Drew, that sounds rather senseless to me.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 16-04-2019, 13:41

Hi Jan

The other day I was in Aldi and got to a till just as they opened it. I had 4 small bags of frozen food and the Couple in front had a very full Trolley which he was slowly loading onto the Belt.

His Wife / Partner turned to me and said " Is that all you have " and I said Yes. She said well you go before us. I said thank you and moved to the Till. Before her Husband/ partner had finished loading the belt I had been served, paid and left. All the time I was there, less than a minute, he was muttering I should wait in line like everyone else whilst giving his Wife /Partner grief for offering that I go ahead.

What a lovely chap. Guess if he had been German he could be a relative of the Chap behind you. Inconsiderate Pratt.

Doug
raynipper likes this.

Last edited by Dougaitken; 16-04-2019 at 13:44.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 16-04-2019, 14:20

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
One of the "advantages" of the Blue Badge scheme here in France is that you get an extra card both are credit card sized and identical, one goes in the (provided) holder on the windscreen and the other in your wallet.

Then, if you get to the till displaying the disabled / pregnant sign you can show the card and go to the front of the queue - obviously not if that is half way through someone else's shopping, but before someone starts, even if there is a long queue.

I HATE using it, being a Brit gives you that holding back attitude, but when I have needed to use it (and not just 'cos I want to get out faster) due to severe foot pain, I have always found the French to be perfectly willing to move aside. Admittedly the Brits in the queue are often far from happy, but they frequently get silenced by others without me saying a thing....

It is a system that has it's merits - in the U.K. such queues have no similar concessions.... you just stand and wait and wait and wait..... or, I have been known to go to a supervisor, explained my problems and have been checked out at the customer service desk.....

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 16-04-2019, 14:25

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Thankfully the supermarkets here in this part of Normandy rarely have queues at the checkouts (only post offices). So two customers is a lot and even then they will allow you through if like me you start juggling your one item.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifes savings. Guess what? He robbed us of 750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 16-04-2019, 14:27

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
You cannot juggle on item Ray, that is throwing it up and catching it
Spacerunner and raynipper like this.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 16-04-2019, 14:35

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
That's what he does, it's perfectly OK with an orange, but the large bag of dog food does give him some problems......😆
raynipper likes this.

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page