Caxton Card Fraud - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 13-03-2019, 15:10 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
Caxton Card Fraud

Just had contact from Caxton who have blocked my card after £1,184.69 has been taken from my account via several unauthorised transactions to insurance companies.

Suspect it was cloned when last used at an Indian restaurant whilst in Dublin for rugby in January.

Worth checking your balance if you have a card.

Terry

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.

Testiculi ad Brexitam
The Following User Says Thank You to dghr272 For This Useful Post:
DJMotorhomer (04-04-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 13-03-2019, 16:38

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Ouch !

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 13-03-2019, 18:08 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin View Post
Ouch !
Yeah, bit concerned that the debits were contrary to any previous spends I've authorised, i.e. dubious debits were all UK based and in sterling, but not picked up until over £1k was debited.

Terry

Testiculi ad Brexitam

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 13-03-2019, 23:39

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
What (if anything) have Caxton said about it??

I had an “issue” with an American Express card a few years ago after using it in?????

Dublin !!!!

It was an attempted purchase of computer kit from an American company, for delivery to Croatia, using a U.K. registered card! The American company smelled a rat so queried the purchase with Amex, who queried it with me.

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 14-03-2019, 00:56 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd View Post
What (if anything) have Caxton said about it??

I had an “issue” with an American Express card a few years ago after using it in?????

Dublin !!!!

It was an attempted purchase of computer kit from an American company, for delivery to Croatia, using a U.K. registered card! The American company smelled a rat so queried the purchase with Amex, who queried it with me.

Andy
They advised me to raise a dispute online, they will respond within two days. I did explain I was surprised they didn't catch it sooner as I've never used the card in GB or ever completed a sterling transaction in five years, only ever Euro transactions.

I asked what action they are likely to take re investigating the business in Dublin I last used my card. They intimated that it was sort of up to me to report it to the police, I found it quite a surprising response as surely it's in their interest to investigate cloning card terminals.

My wife had a similar experience with her Amex card a year ago with attempts to use it in Florida, although Amex spotted it immediately and blocked her card.

Terry
patp likes this.

Testiculi ad Brexitam
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 14-03-2019, 22:49

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
I don't think that the banks or credit card companies make any attempt to report it to the police and I don't think that the police have any desire to have it reported to them.

Some years ago I attended a conference in a 5* hotel in Mayfair and left my briefcase with the coats people over the counter in the cloakroom. The briefcase didn't have a lot in it other than papers and a chequebook. A couple of days later I happened to go online to look at my bank account and saw that I had gone overdrawn that day by nearly £5k. My first reaction was to admonish Mrs P for not telling me and then I realised that the cheque number was from my chequebook! I then realised that it had been removed from the middle of the chequebook with the counterfoil also removed so that it wouldn't be obvious that a cheque had been taken.

I phoned Barclays and told them that they were attempting to clear a fraudulent cheque and that they should stop it and their only response was that they would send me a form to report it! I said that I could identify the place and time (plus the person probably) who had done it and they said they didn't need that information and nor would they report it to the police.

Barclays refunded me the money but I guess someone probably made off with several thousand pounds and no-one was bothered! And even if they managed to stop the money going to the thief, he probably carried on doing it and may still be doing it to this day - about twelve years later!
raynipper likes this.

Peter
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 15-03-2019, 09:17

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
MrsW had a card fraud and the card had only been used away from her ONCE before - at Maplins. Her card was stopped while we were away for a week in France. She lost £7k but the bank "forgot to tell her about that transaction" while checking. They only blocked the card because having got the £7k the perpetrators (probably) tried to raise her credit limit and mucked up the security questions.

It took three WEEKS before she found out about the £7k when her statement arrived. They apologised and THEN tried to recall the money from the Building Society where an account had been opened and the money transferred. The account had been cleared one WEEK before she found out about the fraud, if they had told her at the time they could have recalled the money and possibly apprehended the criminals.

The Police were not interested and said it is the Bank's responsibility so it does NOT appear in crime figures - deception that crime is being reduced IMO.

Sadly the Banks like to keep it quiet if they can as it reflects badly on their security. It is cheaper for them to cover the loss (in many, but not all, cases).

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 15-03-2019, 10:39

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Personally I will not do any financial transactions or download any bank apps to my phone.
Accessing accounts online with the security provided on the PC is bad enough and now we read online fraud is the biggest growth 'industry' in the western world.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 15-03-2019, 15:21

i have an account that i only use on the internet when i want to purchase anything i pay money into the account in cash then use it i know this may sound stupid but i have never had a problem with fraud as ther is usually only about £10 in it with no overdraft facility
raynipper likes this.

pagey
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 15-03-2019, 20:29 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Thankfully the issue has been resolved to my satisfaction.

You have to wonder about the fixation with insurance companies.

Terry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6669.JPG (298.4 KB, 30 views)
HurricaneSmith likes this.

Testiculi ad Brexitam

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page