Firestick Fire TV Smart TV etc? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 20:17 Thread Starter

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,197 Times in 1,043 Posts
Personal Aire
Firestick Fire TV Smart TV etc?

Going to see a pal tomorrow who has just cancelled his Sky subs (Too expensive or something). He has a big smart TV but asked me what the best subscription is for streaming movies etc.

Im not really up to speed to be honest as I get all mine through "other" channels.

Do you only need a Fire TV stick if you dont have a smart TV? Whats the best thing to go for? Hes a numpty so nothing complicated.

I was just going to check out if netflix was on his TV and get him to sub up for that.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 21:18

My Motorhome: VW T4 Crusader Campervan
Personal Aire
I was given a Firestick for Christmas and only just got round to setting it up. The TV I have plugged it into is just an ordinary TV with Freeview built in, nothing special, the Firestick works great and even got my Sony Bluetooth headphones working with it. I haven't subscribed to any of the Apps on it as yet but will look closer at this another time.
The Following User Says Thank You to randonneur For This Useful Post:
barryd (04-04-2018)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 22:05 Thread Starter

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
Personal Aire
Thanks. As far as I am aware you dont need one if you have a fancy TV. Ill go and have a look at what he has and take it from there. I hardly ever bother with an actual TV So dont keep up with these things really.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 06:17

Do keep us posted. I am so fed up with the mainstream channels now. Never thought I would say it. We used to watch BBC almost exclusively, so much so that it was a running family joke that we knew nothing about new products coming to market because we never saw a commercial. Now I have to get busy with the video recorder to catch something decent to watch for when we sit down in the evening. Winter used to be great tv but not any more
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 07:51

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
We have a 'fancy' big and smart TV but anytime I try and get it connected to the net or anything but Freesat, I get asked how long an I going to be messing about cos there is something on regular TV that MUST be watched immediately. So I give up and this has been going on for years now.
Isn't 200 channels enough??

Ray.

The FSA formerly SIB & PIA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. So they changed their name again to the FCA.
http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 07:57

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,105 Times in 1,042 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
I have a Roku stick one of the members gave me FOC, it works quite well, I don't know if a firestick is any better or not, but if you want to watch Netflix etc, you need to subscribe, it does give access to freeview channels too, but a 20 PVR will do that and record.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 08:08

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
But it all depends on internet speed and half of us don't have the fast service to watch without buffering or connection problems.
It's all a ploy of manufacturers trying to squeeze more cash from us for questionable benefits.

Ray.

The FSA formerly SIB & PIA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. So they changed their name again to the FCA.
http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 08:39

3rd world countries sometimes get a faster internet than we do here, cable is best if you can get it.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 08:40 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Thanks

I think he has a reasonable internet connection. about 10mbps which is pretty good for round here. I Dont think Netflix is very much so it might be the way to go for him if his TV has an app for it otherwise he will need a Fire TV thing I guess. I think there is also Amazon Prime. Not sure which has the best movies. I always thought both were mainly about series rather than Films.

Theres a case of beer in it probably if I get it working this morning.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 08:44

In case some don't know you can share your Netflix account with family, I don't pay for it Lizs son has an account, ditto for Amazon Prime, I just sign in with his details, I can watch on phone, tablet, PC or the Roku stick, sticks are a bit slow though to get going.
barryd and barryd like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page