The Zipper Method - Page 7 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 67 (permalink) Old 28-10-2016, 06:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by scept1c View Post

It's OK if people can merge well in advance of the road narrowing but the queue jumpers want to get to the front making it slower for everyone else because the queue has to slow to let these b****rs in.
It's been done to death already, use both lanes right down to the taper point, keep both queues equal lengths, merge in turn then there is no way to jump the queues and no b****r has to be let in.
barryd, barryd, siggie and 1 others like this.

2005 Bailey Senator Wyoming - 2009 Bessacarr E769 - 2012 Swift Bolero 712SB - 2017 Auto-Sleeper Kingham (On Order)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 (permalink) Old 28-10-2016, 07:44

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Welcome to the real world of aggression and self.

Ray.

The FSA formerly SIB & PIA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life“s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. So they changed their name again to the FCA.
http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #63 of 67 (permalink) Old 28-10-2016, 08:40

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,122 Times in 1,058 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by scept1c View Post
What happened to the British love of queues, this zipper method is more like the Italian way, every man for himself.

As I see it, this would be a queue jumpers charter.

It's OK if people can merge well in advance of the road narrowing but the queue jumpers want to get to the front making it slower for everyone else because the queue has to slow to let these b****rs in.
Sorry but merging earlier just moves the cones back to where they merge so no difference, just more lane wasted, you also need to consider what is happening further back up the queue, the one I've referred to twice now is just after a traffic island so using both lanes at least does relieve some traffic there.
barryd, barryd, siggie and 1 others like this.

post #64 of 67 (permalink) Old 28-10-2016, 10:32

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
So I wonder what the "anti-zippers" think about the changes that were made a couple of years ago to the approaches and exits on two of the roundabouts on the A35 Dorchester ring-road? For those who don't know it, the ring road is single carriageway in both directions but big queues can build up at the two roundabouts for through traffic on the A35. Highways England therefore widened the approaches and exits so that an extra lane was created both ways on both sides of the roundabouts for through traffic starting about 200 yards before the roundabouts and finishing 200 yards after where the lanes merge into one.

So this means that double the volume of traffic can get across the roundabouts if both lanes are used. Despite all the signage showing what to do it is incredible how we still love to queue! Heading westbound yesterday at one of the roundabouts there was a lorry and about eight cars stationary in one of the two through lanes and not a single vehicle in the other lane! I sailed past the lot, straight across the roundabout and carried happily on my way with the lorry still stuck waiting. I presume the eight or so cars were all driven by "anti-zippers" who were cursing me under their breaths!

Peter
post #65 of 67 (permalink) Old 28-10-2016, 12:30

IF we are considering temporary roadworks, one solution would be to place cones in both lanes, forcing them to drive down the centre line for a few yards then directing them into the lane to be used . This could be reinforced with signs saying "Use both lanes" for a short distance before "merge in turn" .

I suffer with the opposite effect to this problem: I drive into Norwich using a "bus lane" which is only valid between 8am to 10am. At midday I hurtle (carefully) down the inside of queuing traffic who get upset with me .

Whatever you do - stay safe. Gordon
post #66 of 67 (permalink) Old 28-10-2016, 12:46

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,204 Times in 1,050 Posts
Personal Aire
Its all about education. As soon as people become aware that its the best thing to do and its acceptable they will do it (or maybe not )

Trouble is many are simply unable to grasp how stupid it is to simply form a two mile queue and leave the other empty and cannot bear of course anyone doing otherwise. The other day I whizzed to the front of a long line of traffic at lights on the scooter and plonked myself at the front. I then whizzed off as soon as the lights changed far quicker than any car could so not holding anyone up. A few hundred yards up the road I stopped at a shop and the woman who I had pulled in front of actually pulled over to give me a mouthful of abuse for queue jumping "what F-ing right do you have etc etc". I just pished myself laughing of course and wandered off but WT actual F!

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #67 of 67 (permalink) Old 28-10-2016, 14:50

My Motorhome: Hymer E650
Come uppance, a true story

About 18 years ago we decided to go into Gibralter, at the time the Spanish Gov was having a small hissy fit, and we joined a fairly long and slow queue, a few Captain Hero's thought this was not for them and shot up the outside.
When we got up further ahead we saw the machine gun fellow, on traffic duty, send them to the back of the queue via a side road.

Ian
raynipper and raynipper like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page