Shipping large items from US to UK - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 17-04-2016, 11:17 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
What is their purpose - if it is to 'pose en gruppe' they fail as they just look like Pr*ttts.

Kev, if you get one send us a pic please
This one does not pose at all, I just like the way they get from A to B the sound and feel, I was in the HD club briefly no not HOG, but the riders club, it is not a way of life for me, but a preference, I've had all the jap crap, and Wings, Beemers etc, they're okay, just not for me as what may be my very last bike.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pudsey_Bear For This Useful Post:
icer (20-04-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 17-04-2016, 13:10

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
Last time I rode a bike was back in 1957, a Vincent Black prince or Knight, not sure which it was now after so many years. It convinced me that I was a 4 wheel or more type.Got fed up with the Bantam as well.It ruined my best Prince Albert coat.
Mind you I did have the advantage that the family had a car sales which started with my grandfather, then expanded with his sons.Never knew what I would be able to borrow until the day.I seem to remember we had 3 or 4 in London.Those were the days when one had to learn how to drop off a moving tram without falling over to gain street cred.fond memories.

cabby

sorry for going off topic.

Don't be silly all the time ask your question.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 17-04-2016, 14:00

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
You got more money that you know what to do with Kev?
Wadya want a motorbike for fer heavans sake, man your age might loose ballance, fall off, break a hip, get pneumonia, curtains.
Don´t do it Kev, we need you to entertain us.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 17-04-2016, 14:04 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabby View Post
Last time I rode a bike was back in 1957, a Vincent Black prince or Knight, not sure which it was now after so many years. It convinced me that I was a 4 wheel or more type.Got fed up with the Bantam as well.It ruined my best Prince Albert coat.
Mind you I did have the advantage that the family had a car sales which started with my grandfather, then expanded with his sons.Never knew what I would be able to borrow until the day.I seem to remember we had 3 or 4 in London.Those were the days when one had to learn how to drop off a moving tram without falling over to gain street cred.fond memories.

cabby

sorry for going off topic.
Bloody hell how old are you anyway ??
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 17-04-2016, 14:07 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanHank View Post
You got more money that you know what to do with Kev?
Wadya want a motorbike for fer heavans sake, man your age might loose ballance, fall off, break a hip, get pneumonia, curtains.
Don´t do it Kev, we need you to entertain us.

I've had bikes since I was about 10 of one sort or another, I may never get to ride another, but I'll bloody well give it my best effort.

But with Labrynthitis I might very well fall off, which no doubt would entertain you bloody lot of merciless bounders.
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 17-04-2016, 14:34 Thread Starter

My main concern was a possible scam, but Ebay.com has this safeguard, but my legalise is not up to seeing if it is actually any good or not.

I do note that Ebay.uk does not have this cover.

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/buy/pur...ion/index.html
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 18-04-2016, 22:20

My Motorhome: Bürstner Viseo Sovereign 700i
Personal Aire
It might be worth asking be companies that run yours in US who they recommend and to let you know of any 'not returning' bikes that create space in their container.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 19-04-2016, 00:25

Location: Summer - Overton, Hampshire: Winter - La Manga, Spain
My Motorhome: Eura Mobil Integra 810 HB-L is sold and gone. Hobby 650 Prestige caravan for Winters in Spain
You will need someone who knows what he is doing at the point of embarkation as the battery needs to come out along with all the oils.

I have some Dutch friends who frequently rent a container to take their bikes over for Sturgis/Route 66 etc

I think they use special individual cages inside the container to isolate each bike (and double stack them) and this means they are loaded/unloaded with fork lifts rather than being manually pushed on

I can ask what the deal would be for a one way load if you like - PM me if interested

Alternatively - and I'm sure you have looked at this already - these guys seem to know what they're doing

http://www.shipoverseas.com/us/ship-...cle-to-uk.html

Good Luck

Cheers

Dave
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 19-04-2016, 07:34 Thread Starter

One I looked at asked for fuel to be left at a quarter full, and the battery leads be taken off and taped up, the problem I have is getting someone to crate it up, but one I am interested in has just sent me a video of the bike, one running should come later, I also have a picture of the title, and it's a one owner bike, (a fighter pilot no less) which is in Oklahoma.

It will all come down to the numbers which are very tight, it has to be on my drive insured for around £5.5k/$7883 which is all but impossible, but the pound is in my favour right now 70p to the Dollar.

Liz and I were discussing if it was the right thing to do, and to be honest I don't know, but we both feel I should at least give it a go, and get it out of my system, at least if I do end up getting one, I shouldn't lose out financially, or at least not much as they are just so much more expensive over here, hence the project in the first place.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 19-04-2016, 09:03

Location: Summer - Overton, Hampshire: Winter - La Manga, Spain
My Motorhome: Eura Mobil Integra 810 HB-L is sold and gone. Hobby 650 Prestige caravan for Winters in Spain
Well Kev - if you do go ahead and spend a bit more than budget - and you love it (which you will) it'll have been worth it.

OTOH - if you don't like it/can't live with it - when you come to sell, you will get your money back - so nothing lost.

Go for it and you can sing the theme from Top Gun in your head every time you ride

"I feel the need, the need for speed"

# Take my breath away

Send me a photo please

Cheers

Dave

PS A Fighter Pilot will have good contacts in the USAF - he can get someone to crate it for you and perhaps even a contact in MAC who can get it flown over to Fairford for you - Just a thought

Last edited by HarleyDave; 19-04-2016 at 09:05. Reason: Had a thought

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page