FM or DAB - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 2 Post By jiwawa

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 17-07-2017, 17:19 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Carthago i144QB
FM or DAB

Didn't know where to put this question so thought this was the nearest topic.

Just about to buy a new media player head unit for the MH and wanted to know which has better coverage FM or DAB?

Looking on the DAB coverage map it is pretty poor in the locations that we tend to tour like the Cornish coast, west Wales, western Scotland and the Highlands, but I can't find a similar FM coverage map.

We are not a great radio user but as we're buying new wanted to get something that had reasonable coverage in the UK.

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 17-07-2017, 19:33

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
I fitted a dab nearly 3 years ago and am delighted. It is not either or, most dabs also have FM. What's more on mine (and I assume others) if it is tuned into a DAB station and you go out of reception area it will automatically switch to the same channel's FM signal and back again when you return to a DAB area. It is seamless. With a roof mounted antenna I travel most of mid Wales and get a good dab signal on all BBC channels.

Dick
The Following User Says Thank You to Glandwr For This Useful Post:
RichardD (18-07-2017)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 17-07-2017, 20:01
wug

As above, most come with FM & Dab. But, in some parts of Scotland you'll get neither. For example, travelling up the A9 as you get towards House of Bruar, most radio disappears until you're over Drumochter and getting towards Newtonmore. If you have a satellite dish then you'll get radio via satellite if you tire of TV.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 17-07-2017, 21:06

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
One thing to be aware of is that DAB is only available in the UK, the rest of Europe uses a different system or three....

Most radios sold in the UK only allow you to pick up Band 3 and so would not pick up foreign stations in countries using only L band to broadcast, although it is possible to buy a radio that can receive both Band 3 and L band. But, even if your digital radio works abroad, you won't be able to pick up UK stations there.

Hope that is a timely reminder to ensure that if you are replacing the head, get DAB yes for UK use and FM for European use and LW if possible if you like to pick up R4 while wthin a couple of hundred miles of the UK as the bird flies.....

Once beyond that sort of range you will be unlikely to pick up UK broadcasting stations and may be unhappy with what you can pick up.......

Try to keep your options as wide as possible if you eventure into Europe....... DAB and DAB+ may be better, but may be harder to find along with FM and LW (AM). Sadly the BBC seems to have reduced the power output ofthe am R4 LW broadcast recently, so satellite systems may be the only option while static.

Thinking of ALL the front line staff working to try to help others;Doctors, nurses, paramedics, cleaners, NA's, catering staff, support services and all others. Their work is appreciated more than you can ever realise-keep strong and safe.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk

Last edited by Penquin; 17-07-2017 at 21:35.
The Following User Says Thank You to Penquin For This Useful Post:
RichardD (18-07-2017)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 17-07-2017, 21:32

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin View Post
One thing to be aware of is that DAB is only available in the UK, the rest of Europe uses a different system or three....

Most radios sold in the UK only allow you to pick up Band 3 and so would not pick up foreign stations in countries using only L band to broadcast, although it is possible to buy a radio that can receive both Band 3 and L band. But, even if your digital radio works abroad, you won't be able to pick up UK stations there.
That would explan why my new DAB radio was absolute rubbish in France and Spain!!
Penquin and Penquin like this.

Jean
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 17-07-2017, 21:46

My Motorhome: Hymer B544SL
A question for anyone who has installed a DAB radio in an A Class, can you get good reception from a glass mount aerial which of course can't be earthed to the body. I ask the question because FM reception in my Hymer is not particularly good.

When you expect nothing everything is a gift
The Following User Says Thank You to javea For This Useful Post:
caulkhead (18-07-2017)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page