Streaming TV with a smart tv - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 30-05-2016, 16:35 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
Streaming TV with a smart tv

We have Sky, however the trees at the back of us have grown too high now and they are breaking up the signal when the wind blows.It will take a while to arrange to have them trimmed as they are not ours.
Our tv is a smart tv and I have the Samsung usb adaptor for wifi, this does connect and works, however is there anyway to stream tv through the router. I tried to find info on this in the tv info and also through the computer, but being a former PC user I still have not got my head round all the ways to use an Apple mac mini yet.
Any guidance or is it a case of google is my friend again.

cabby

Don't be silly all the time ask your question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 30-05-2016, 17:01

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Cabby

If you get your USB device to "talk" to your router you should be able to stream TV to your Smart Telebox BUT you cannot stream live TV only stuff from the past (Iplayer etc) or via something like Netflix or Amazon Prime (which are subscription services)

Don't forget that any streaming you do comes off your internet download allowance (unless you are on unlimited of course)

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, itís in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 30-05-2016, 21:44

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
If you log-on with your PC / laptop to Sky Go then you can output what you are watching to a TV using an HDMI cable. You can't use Chromecast and you can't use your smart TV so far as I am aware.

Peter

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 30-05-2016, 23:23 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
thank you guys, I will now stop trying.I had hoped to be able to stream as unlimited BB.I suppose I will have to connect a spare comp to the tv and use Sky go.I do have an old Mac Mini I could use.Would it drive a 46" screen.Have to try it and find out.

cabby

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 30-05-2016, 23:25

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,112 Times in 962 Posts
Personal Aire
I Dont have a smart TV. Most of the tellies in this house were made by John Logie baird I think. I have done something similar to what Peter suggested though via a laptop and HDMI cable. You just stream what you like then from one of the free tv streaming sites like this one. http://www.tvcatchup.com/

My Brother reckons he can just access any website on his TV but he could be talking rot of course.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 31-05-2016, 07:45

My Motorhome: A big black & white one
My Samsung Smart TV had a web browser built in. Don't know about streaming Sky but is it accessed through a web site or app that you have to download?

When I lived overseas I set up my own web page with direct links to streamed UK TV channels, which I then set as a favourite in my TV's web browser for quick and simple access.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 31-05-2016, 11:41 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
My TV is also a Samsung Smart one, but I have to use a Samsung usb dongle to enable the wi-fi. I can get the bbc iplayer etc. but cannot see if I am able to stream, unlike a Pc that I understand, I cannot seem to find the Home group layout on this Apple machine.So not quite sure how to get the TV talking to the comp.This is where I should get my finger out and start understanding the Apple system and different phrases for similar Pc tools.

cabby

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 31-05-2016, 12:16

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
I don't have a Mac but my children do and they use Apple TV to stream wirelessly https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201343. However older Macs don't all support Apple TV, which obviously you'll need to buy.

Alternatively they simply connect an HDMI.

Peter
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 31-05-2016, 12:22 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Yes I know this, but before I start I see that it always says stream VIDEO, does this mean downloaded video, or mainstreaming TV as in www.catchup.com.Or will I have to use the Sky-go and have a comp connected to the TV.

cabby

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 21-02-2020, 06:33

My Motorhome: I drive...
hotstar is the best streaming application for watching motion pictures and television programs online on Android smartphones, Firestick just as on Windows PC.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page