Recorded TV programs for viewing when Abroad - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 31-01-2016, 20:26

Recorded TV

Hi I had exactly the same problem, I overcame it by buying a small media player from Amazon, plug your hard drive into it and then via HDMI into the Avtex, about twenty five pounds, and it runs on twelve volts, what it does is read the codecs that the download came in on, now no problem. hope this helps Brian......
Ingwe and Ingwe like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tavira For This Useful Post:
Ingwe (01-02-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 31-01-2016, 20:35

I've got an older Humax HDR Fox -T2 Freeview PVR that can copy recorded programmes (but not HD) onto a memory stick. It takes about 15 minutes to copy a film and various files are copied including the main .TS one which plays fine on my laptop using VLC. There is a good forum Hummy.tv that has lots of useful info on theses PVRs

I also have an August digital TV tuner stick so I could record programmes directly onto the laptop hard drive if I was organised enough to set it up at home!!

Steve
Ingwe and Ingwe like this.

Steve and Sheila
Read about our latest travels in Europe on our website
http://www.motorhomeandaway.com
The Following User Says Thank You to homenaway For This Useful Post:
Ingwe (01-02-2016)
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 31-01-2016, 21:47 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive a Bailey 620 Approach
Thanks all for your input.
I understand that if I bring the pvr into the van, the Avtex will play whatever is on the PVR through the HDMI input on the Avtex. It was (a) the size of the Panasonic and (b) the fact that it needs 230v socket that made me look to see whether the programs stored on the pvr could be transferred to a HDD and played off the usb.

I bought a gizmo for £35 which was supposed to be able to read all types of files but that didn't help with the fact that Panasonic (and perhaps all large makers of pvrs) encrypt files with their own codes tieing you to their machine.

I'm not techie enough to do all types of file conversions, formatting etc so it looks like I'll either have to bring the pvr on the van or watch whatever is available.
But the help and advice is much appreciated.

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 31-01-2016, 21:55 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive a Bailey 620 Approach
@Tavira-i bought a Sumvision Cyclone Microvision 4 which claism to do all you suggest but it doesn't seem to decode the Panasonic files. Maybe I'm not doieng it right. So will try again next weekend. Work intereferes! Come April, i will be retired.
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 31-01-2016, 22:04

My Motorhome: Hymer B584
I use a sky box with an inverter or a simple Humax Freesat box run from the vans 12v supply. I have been looking at upgrading to a Humax 500mb or 1 tb PVR. The good thing about the Humax equipment is that you CAN also run then directly from the 12V supply.
Something that is not obvious is that Humax have recently brought out two new PVRs and they do look very similar to the old ones but when you see them in the flesh they are half the size. (still 12v or 240v)

I'd quite happily buy one of their refurbished ones although I think they are all the older bigger models.

http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/refurbished.html

Cheers
Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to BillCreer For This Useful Post:
Ingwe (01-02-2016)
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 31-01-2016, 22:27

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,030 Times in 895 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNomad View Post
We found some time ago that we actually don't need a fixed TV in the MH at all any more.

What we've done for the past few years now is just to use a laptop to view our pre-recorded (downloaded) films and TV series in the MH.
The picture quality on modern laptops really is fantastic now. The sound gets bluetoothed to our nifty little but top quality sounding bluetooth speaker (which we can also use for playing music and podcasts via bluetooth from our smartphones, both within and outside of the MH and which'll run for up to about 5 hours without wires before wanting a plug-in recharge via a USB cable from a 12 volt socket).

The actual programme files are on a 1 terrabyte portable hard drive that we load up from our PC's at home before we leave on tour; and it just attaches via USB cable to the laptop.

We watch them using VLC video player software (downloadable for free), as that software programme seems to play just about every format of video that exists.

Obviously the laptop doubles up as a way of getting on the internet, either in or out of the MH, and when we've got good wifi signal, we can watch live TV (for the news etc) via the Filmon website.

It seems to work very well indeed as an elegant, efficient, and much cheaper, setup. And whilst we are away from the MH with the laptop, there's no posh TV in the MH for any scum to steal.

The laptop gets recharged during the day from our solar-panel-fueled leisure batteries, via a 12 volt socket using a little universal transformer (from Maplins, ebay etc) that steps up the 12 volt to the 19 volts that the laptop feeds on.
Snap. Prefer the laptop from the telly now. Im actually quite pleased when we drive out of the sat footprint as normal telly is all garbage.
TheNomad and TheNomad like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
The Following User Says Thank You to barryd For This Useful Post:
Ingwe (01-02-2016)
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 31-01-2016, 22:50

My Motorhome: 2002 Hymer B584
Humax Foxsat HDR

I record my tv programs on my Humax Foxsat HDR, either in HD or SD.

I have updated the firmware on board, thanks to colleagues on avforums.com, which enables me to transfer recorded files either in HD or SD to either dvd, usb stick or hard drive to view on my avtex tv.

Barry
The Following User Says Thank You to bazzle For This Useful Post:
Ingwe (01-02-2016)
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 31-01-2016, 22:53

My Motorhome: Rapido 7066DF
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCreer View Post
The good thing about the Humax equipment is that you CAN also run then directly from the 12V supply.
Hmmmm...............
I would check that before you buy.

I can't speak for the new models but I've got 5 Humax DVRs around ATM and none of them run from 12v, they're all direct plug into 230v with internal power supply (although four of them are Freeview rather than Freesat).
In fact I don't think I ever recall seeing a 12v Humax.
Quote:
I have updated the firmware on board, thanks to colleagues on avforums.com, which enables me to transfer recorded files either in HD or SD to either dvd, usb stick or hard drive to view on my avtex tv.
My Foxsat DVR does that anyway without any firmware updates - and always has.

Help someone out when they're in trouble and they'll remember you when they're in trouble again.

Last edited by gaspode; 31-01-2016 at 22:55.
The Following User Says Thank You to gaspode For This Useful Post:
Ingwe (01-02-2016)
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 31-01-2016, 23:12

My Motorhome: 2002 Hymer B584
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspode View Post

My Foxsat DVR does that anyway without any firmware updates - and always has.
I very much doubt that your Foxsat allows you to transfer files, both HD and SD, and play them on media other than on your Foxsat device without updating the firmware.

People have worked very hard and long for us to be able to do this.

Regards

Barry
The Following User Says Thank You to bazzle For This Useful Post:
Ingwe (01-02-2016)
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 31-01-2016, 23:15

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,030 Times in 895 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzle View Post
I very much doubt that your Foxsat allows you to transfer files, both HD and SD, and play them on media other than on your Foxsat device without updating the firmware.

People have worked very hard and long for us to be able to do this.

Regards
Might be useful for the OP to explain exactly how you did it or provide a link to the avforum thread perhaps.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
The Following User Says Thank You to barryd For This Useful Post:
Ingwe (01-02-2016)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page