A proposed format for permanent rallies? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 22:26 Thread Starter

A proposed format for permanent rallies?

(Also posted in General Chitchat)

I refer back to my original suggestion that we have, say, four permanent meeting places round the country - perhaps a site near the Welsh border, one in Yorkshire/Northumbria/etc, another in the Home Counties, and I vote for yours in the West Country.

We could then allocate one weekend per month for each of the sites - the same monthly weekend throughout the year. So the first weekend in the month would be West Country, second weekend Wales, and so on.

At any time, any one of us could appear at these sites on the designated weekend with a good chance of meeting others from MHF.

The advantages are that no organising is involved, private arrangements between friends are more easily facilitated, a much better chance for many of us to meet socially, and "somewhere to go" if you are just visiting an area away from home. It still doesn't prevent someone from organising a rally of their own.

What do others think of this? And can anyone suggest sites that lend themselves to this sort of ad hoc arrangement - big enough for a few 'vans and allow children to safely run free, a pub serving food within staggering distance, views/walks from the site, and so on.

Barry

Barry

Don´t use a big word when a diminutive abbreviation will adequately suffice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 23:13

I think your idea is a good one of allocating a w/e a month to various areas.
As motorhomer has already said that there is a rally at South Molton on 4/5th Sept I will volunteer Maker for the following w/e, 11/12 Sept. if you like.
As I have said before this does not prevent anyone coming at other times or for staying longer if they wish. If anyone is travelling further down Cornwall they can have a break with us as we are near the border with England!!
BillD
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 13-08-2004, 01:16

Without asking every other person on the site, how would we know who else is a member here?
How about a motorhomefacts.com window sticker or something?

That could work at anytime

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 13-08-2004, 06:54

My Motorhome: Elddis Autostratus EB
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise
Without asking every other person on the site, how would we know who else is a member here?
How about a motorhomefacts.com window sticker or something?

That could work at anytime
A window sticker has already been worked on and there is a logo already to print off on paper in the downloads, I think.

Gillian

I'm 84 now. Getting old is wonderful, when you consider the alternative.

Any fool can criticize, condemn, & complain. And most do.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
Bernard M. Baruch

Member since 2003
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 13-08-2004, 09:19

Send a message via MSN to nukeadmin
I think your idea is very good Barry, and perhaps once / twice etc a year we have more formal rallies aimed at getting more people to attend on a larger scale ?
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 13-08-2004, 09:29

A good idea in principle, the only problem I can see is choosing the size of site capable of taking the extra vans on top of their normal visitors. For instance the one Ive reserved at Beverley would not be able to leave x amount of pitches unoccupied in the hope wed fill them.

Ian
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 13-08-2004, 09:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukeadmin
I think your idea is very good Barry, and perhaps once / twice etc a year we have more formal rallies aimed at getting more people to attend on a larger scale ?
Hi Dave

That would be a very good idea. We have been going to the Meets from a well known other site where many members here are also members there. They so far have had two Meets per year with dates given out well in advance usually with about 6 months notice . This gives folks the oportunity to book it in their diaries before the dates are taken up elswhere . Hope that makes sense.

I change to winter working hours on Sept 1st and we are going down to the meet near South Molton. If something is organised as suggested the weekend after this meet somewhere easily accessible ie not to much extra travelling we could probably make it. Himself has not booked his time off yet so we could add a few days.

Would be great to meet a few new faces.

Motorhomer
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 13-08-2004, 10:01

Hi bsb2000 - at Maker we might start to get stretched with over a couple of hundred vans! We have had over 1,000 under canvas for a festival.
Motorhomer, I have already volunteered the w/e 11/12 Sept. to fit in with your other rally.
For anyone coming into this fresh and would like to have a look at our website. The aerial photo gives an idea of the size (over 30 acres) it is www.makerheightscentre.ik.com
BillD
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 13-08-2004, 10:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsb2000
A good idea in principle, the only problem I can see is choosing the size of site capable of taking the extra vans on top of their normal visitors. For instance the one Ive reserved at Beverley would not be able to leave x amount of pitches unoccupied in the hope wed fill them.

Ian

hi

The Meets with this other site try to use fields or land attached to a pub or close by. This enables a bit of flexibility to allow folk to just turn up. That way you would probably get more folk attending at the last minute who perhaps would not be able to come if they had to definately commit themselves beforhand. Some campsites do have seperate rally fields.

If any one lives close to Hampshire County Council Royal Victoria Country Park I believe they have a designated Rally Field. This is in a lovely setting & borders the Solent where the large liners can be seen going into & out of Southampton Water.

Motorhomer
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 13-08-2004, 10:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD
Hi bsb2000 - at Maker we might start to get stretched with over a couple of hundred vans! We have had over 1,000 under canvas for a festival.
Motorhomer, I have already volunteered the w/e 11/12 Sept. to fit in with your other rally.
For anyone coming into this fresh and would like to have a look at our website. The aerial photo gives an idea of the size (over 30 acres) it is www.makerheightscentre.ik.com
BillD

Hi Bill D

That offer is still on thats great then. I had not seen any more about it so thought it had not come to any thing.

May see you there then.

Motorhomer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page