Rallying updates - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 23:14

My Motorhome: Esterel 21LB
Send a message via Skype™ to carol
Hi Barry and Sue

There is no blueprint. The Sportsmans happens to be one of our 'local' pubs that Duncan and I use. We like the pub, we like the area, and the food is always good.

I honestly hadn't known about the overspill car park, but I suspect it is sometimes used by the hunts when they start/end there.

I just happened to say it was such a shame they didn't have a larger car park, and why, and then Bob's your Uncle..... he said we should be able to organise something.

I would not expect this to be available on the basis that you would like, but it is always the possibility that should you happen to be in the area and stopped there for an evening meal and drink, that if asked, it may be possible, but that I cannot say. As for us, we don't live very far away, so we can easily drive home....(I don't drink!)

Nothing is being organised during the day, and people are able to enjoy the area in their own way, whether that be walking, or taking their motorhomes on a journey.

What I am really disappointed about, is NOT ONE PERSON, has emailed me to say they will be coming.

Has this all been in vain. I shall be somewhat embarrassed if no one but Dave & Julie and Duncan and I are there....

So come on you lot, let me know if you are coming, P L E A S E....

The weather today has been wonderful and we enjoyed a lovely day up in the Valley of the Rocks and on the Lynton/Lynmouth Cliff Railway, but I cannot promise the same for our weekend.

Carol

Carol

Wishing you the Best
Opportunity never goes away!
It just goes to someone else!

Thinking of Peter, Fiona, Chris,UncleNorm and Viv, but still Fighting with Mavis, Ray, and Paul (Otto)

For friends Click for Photos of Aires, Chateau etc. Please leave comments if you wish.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 11:01

[quote="BarryandSue"]This sort of rally sounds really great. Sadly we can't go anywhere 'til July. I like the sound of it because it isn't 'big' or 'over-organised' - small and ad hoc suits us better.

Perhaps a regular calendar of rally venues would allow most of us the opportunity to attend a rally almost any week we choose. For instance, would The Sportsman on Exmoor be available for, say, a weekend each month? We'd only need four or five more good venues like this around the country, and we'd have a full years' rally programme! (Better than some of the established clubs!)

So, we've got (potentially) one venue in the West Country - all we now need is perhaps Shropshire/mid Wales, East Anglia area, North York moors area and Scottish Borders and the whole country's covered. Can you explain how you approached the licensee of The Sportsman, Carol? How amenable was he, and how much persuading did you need to do? The fact that he's prepared to let units stay longer either side of the weekend is excellent - it makes long journeys worthwhile. Maybe some kind of 'proforma' to introduce us to potential hosts would be in order?

My motorcycle club does something similar to this, in that they have regular evening meeting venues all over the country for the various regions. I know that, wherever in the country I am, I can show up at a friendly venue for a meeting with 'like minds' on almost any week of the year.

Maybe this is a good direction for this super "club" of ours to go? What do all of you out there think?

Hi Barry

Yes I agree this would be a good idea. I have been on the two rallies a year that another site that many folk here are also members of and hubby & I thoroughly enjoy them. I am not so keen on the cc & ccc rallies as they can be toooo organised.

We dont have many free weekends at the moment because I still work and that includes saturdays & sundays as I workwhen the tourists are out & about ie like this weekend in particular. I am due to fully retire - from the job market that - is next april

We wish we could go on this inaugoral rally but it clashes with the Nerbury Show. Hopefully there will be another on the horizon soon & hopefully it wont clash with any of our other plans. Maybe it could be nearer the South Coast than Exmoor is.

We look forward to the future rallies

Hope you all have a good time.

We will see you Carol at the Exmoor rally in September with ........

Motorhomer
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 11:56

Thanks for the reply, Carol.

Well, at least we've got a target pub for the future, and, as you say, we can call in 'on spec' and see if the landlord is amenable to a stop-over. I guess the more good experiences he has with us motorhomers, the more he will welcome us. I'm a Deb'n boy myself (my luvver!) and can't wait to get back to 'God's Own Country' whenever I can, so The Sportsman will be a regular target of mine! I'm just sorry that we can't support you on this occasion (there will be more opportunities). "From little acorns . . ."

I recall, many years ago, that there was a move (possibly originating in the licensing trade) to encourage us independent motorhomers to 'overnight' in some pub premises - those that were suitable, ie large or separate car parks, or with fields attached. This was reported in MMM, I believe. I don't know what became of those proposals, but it would have been a marvellous scheme for all of us. Think of it . . . a book listing pubs all around the country that would let you 'overnight'. You could travel anywhere and be sure of somewhere safe to stop the night, for the cost of a pint! If the scheme came to nought, maybe now would be a good time to resurrect it? What about a section here on "Motorhome-friendly Pubs" (those permitting casual over-nighting)? We've got one already - The Sportsman. What say you, Duncan?

Barry

Don´t use a big word when a diminutive abbreviation will adequately suffice.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 17:25

Sorry Carol, that last query was directed at Dave, not Duncan.

Barry

Barry

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 18:10

My Motorhome: Esterel 21LB
Send a message via Skype™ to carol
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryandSue
Sorry Carol, that last query was directed at Dave, not Duncan.

Barry
Don't worry about it Barry, Duncan never comes near a computer - he hates them!!!

Carol

PS Just as well really, once he found out how good they were, I'd not get much time on it..... but if only we had broadband.....

Carol

Wishing you the Best
Opportunity never goes away!
It just goes to someone else!

Thinking of Peter, Fiona, Chris,UncleNorm and Viv, but still Fighting with Mavis, Ray, and Paul (Otto)

For friends Click for Photos of Aires, Chateau etc. Please leave comments if you wish.

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 21:07

Aaaaah, Broadband . . . what the internet was made for. A marriage made in heaven.

Barry

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 11:30 Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to nukeadmin
as there appears to be a distinct lack of interest / ability to attend on 14/15th may weekend, I was wandering if more people would attend if the rally was the weekend after i.e. 22/23rd May and hence no clash with any MH Shows as well ?

Please amend your usernames to this thread or answer the new survey on the front page to indicate your intention to attend the new dates ?
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 12:18

Sorry still unable to attend, venue too far, also we are already committed the 22nd/23rd weekend.

Ian
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 12:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukeadmin
as there appears to be a distinct lack of interest / ability to attend on 14/15th may weekend, I was wandering if more people would attend if the rally was the weekend after i.e. 22/23rd May and hence no clash with any MH Shows as well ?

Please amend your usernames to this thread or answer the new survey on the front page to indicate your intention to attend the new dates ?

Hi Dave,

I dont think its lack of interest Dave. There is the Newbury Show the same weekend.

We would love to be on the inaugaral rally & we were dissapointed that the date was the same as the Newbury Show . We had also hoped that perhaps the 1st rally might have been at the Newbury Show as well. We are looking to replace our van & one manufacturer from near Hull whose vans we saw at the NEC is going to be there & we want to have another longer look.

Both George & myself are only semi retired so there are two of us to arrange for time off so adequate notice is required for respective employers to be definately sure to book a given weekend etc. Neither of our jobs is regular hours. Mine is tourist linked so nice weather is my busiest time as are all school holidays. This is why we like to be able to say at the last minute that we are free & if there is space we can come.

It may be that more notice for some folk is required. At this point in time we cannot make the new dates either because we have the previous weekend off.

If it goes ahead I wish you could luck with the rally & dont forget the piccies.

Motorhomer
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 17:45

For us, it would be August before we could fit any rallies in

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page