• 6 Post By havingfun

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 14-11-2015, 08:57 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: swift sundance 620fb
replacement mattress

hi all

the mattress in our m/h is getting old

i am in portugal and went to a local furniture shop to look at mattresses

the lady showed me some mattresses that she had and recommended a firm mattress that was 23cm thick ours is 15cm and could get it made to measure with a corner removed for Euro390 about £290

my question is the matress will be a lot heavier that the existing mattress
and as it is for a french type fixed bed

have any of you had experience of fitting a decent mattress to our type of bed

weight should not be a problem for the van

barry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 14-11-2015, 09:51

I had one custom made by Duvalay (their Duvalite range) for my French bed - it was much more expensive than you've been quoted, but I have been very pleased with it. It has proper vertical piped edges and is very well made out of, I believe, a sandwich of open lightweight foam and memory foam.

It, too, is over 20cm thick compared to the 15cm foam one that came with the van.

The original mattress was in two pieces, which made access to the under-bed storage pretty easy, but had the huge disadvantage that the piece with the cut-off used to move down the bed during the night to the point where it would foul the bathroom door, which was pretty annoying.

So, I had the replacement made as a single piece on purpose (Duvalay will make two-piece mattresses if you want). I'm glad I did, as it has solved the moving mattress problem. However it does make accessing the centre-hinged under-bed storage a bit more difficult, though that's not the end of the world.

I also bought two custom-made fitted sheets from Duvalay. They were £30 each, but fit fantastically compared to the previous method of tucking the loose bit under the cut-off.

At under €400 I'd say go for it!

Morph
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Mattress_1.JPG (163.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg old_mattress.JPG (151.6 KB, 16 views)

There are only 10 different types of people: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.

Last edited by Morphology; 14-11-2015 at 09:55.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 14-11-2015, 13:18

hi,

we have a hobby with a french bed, and after seven years of maybe 300 nights a year, the matterress was very lumpy, so we bought a memory foam from ebay,£95 and a electic carving knife from asda,£5. laid one on top of the other, drew round the shape,and used the carving knife to shape it. fantastic nights sleep, and i,m not the lightest of people, worked so well the son did the same in his van.

and the other half was so disgusted at the quailty of the knife,that the next time we went to asda, he took it back............the shame..

mags
gaspode, gaspode, cabby and 3 others like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page