Frankia 740 fresh water mod - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 2 Post By acctutor

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 16-04-2015, 18:33 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Frankia I740GD
Frankia 740 fresh water mod

Hi all,

Often we have found abroad that the water is drinkable but the taste sometimes ensures an odd cup of tea. Now before I start, I KNOW I could have simply used bottled water and filled the kettle from that.

But, having full metal machining capability in my garage, I thought I would dream up a more elegant solution?

In one of the rear lockers, there is storage for a spare toilet cassette (first thunbnail) (although some wag on the forum did suggest that it was for the butlers use. I found a tank from CAK tanks that would fit the hole (and leave room for a pump), and fitted it with a water inlet, water outlet, sight glass, drain outlet and vent outlet, and welded up a simple support, (2nd thumbnail) and fitted it into position (3rd thumbnail), screwed to the floor.

Then the fun began, I did not want to start removing panels more than I could help, new van and all that. I established a path from the locker, across the back of a cupboard, under the toilet support, past the water inlet (panel under toilet sink) and into the space under the sink. I bought a length of ½" flexible water pipe, and tried for ages to pass the pipe, and I always got stuck just past the space under the toilet sink (right next to the space under the kitchen sink!). In desperation I bought a length of 3/8" piper, and it went through without any problem!!!!, However, it does mean that whilst the middle is 3/8", both ends need to be ½", so more connectors than I wanted.

Obtained a new tap (mixer, but could not find a suitable sized one which is just cold water), blanked off the other inlet, and connected the whole thing together, with a pump situated under the tank, and the tap on the sink (4th thumnail)

1st problem, I originally used a connector for the tank water outlet which I also used for the sight glass, it broke as I was tightening it. So in desperation, I made a "proper" water outlet connector in brass and copper, I know it is not pretty, but who is going to see it, and it is "bullet proof", and tried again.

2nd problem, power supply. I had already identified a source of power at the toilet, however I soon discovered it is always live and I never want to leave pumps on a live feed. There was no way I could feed the power cables to the main water pump situated in the middle of the van and approx 8 feet away - or was there? Short of getting a mouse and attaching the cable to it's tail and using cheese as a bait, I fed the cable through a hole in the side of the toilet locker, I went into the van, stuck my head through the tank inspection hatch, (pause for drum roll), and there was the power cable about 4" from the pump - I don't believe it!!!!! Wired in to the main pump feed, and switched on, everything worked perfectly, except, one of the joints on the pump outlet had not been tightened correctly, and the locker received a good wash down - oh bu**er.

Dried out the locker, re-tightened the joint, re-tested - everything OK.

Now I am sure someone is going to comment about the validity of running two pumps from one feed. I have tested the system, by running both pumps at the same time, one starting after the other etc., and the existing fuses cope fine.

Last problem, how to fill the tank? I am sure you all looked at the tank and thought, 1" pipe, going to need a steady hand? (5th thumbnail), 2 brass pins and a steel clamp strategically placed above the water inlet. 6th thumbnail, plastic rainwater gully fitted with a ¾" drop pipe, which just so happens to fit inside the water inlet, takes 5 litres a full pour without any spills - result!!!! When not being used, it sits high up on the locker wall, out of the way, and the brass cover ensures no foreign bodies get into the tank.

Retire to easy chair with large glass of Makers Mark, as we have an easily available fresh water tap for tea and soft drinks, and no need to worry about plastic bottle of water cluttering up the fridge cupboards etc, as 16 litres will last us many days.

I know, probably overkill, but it kept me out of trouble for several days, and now I can get back to my Britannia steam loco which has been neglected.

All the best

Bill & Patsy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0028.jpg (275.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Forum3.jpg (102.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Forum2.jpg (52.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0007.JPG (138.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0011.JPG (78.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0010.JPG (81.8 KB, 35 views)
NormanB and NormanB like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 21-04-2015, 10:22

Personal Aire
Looks tidy. Nice job.

Rollerteam Autoroller 700, Ford Transit 140 T350
Mertie Moto

My Travels https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...M.kY_dTDvKO74w
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 21-04-2015, 11:53

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
Have to agree a neat job. Will put you on the list.

cabby

Don't be silly all the time ask your question.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page