Shelving the rear garage - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 11:21 Thread Starter

Shelving the rear garage

I am thinking of shelving the rear garage. Want to build some shelves against the inside wall to hold all the stuff so that the rest is clear to get the bikes in and out without too much hassle.

I am planning on using 6mm ply. Has anyone any experience of doing this? What about attaching to the Bailey Alu-Tec floor, and issues with that?

Any help much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 11:48

My Motorhome: 2013 Hymer 680 MB
Instead of shelves:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wo...%3B2772%3B1716

tony

WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion

Academia and government artificially select for particular traits, among which is a lack of life experience. This is why it's possible for a person to be exceptionally bright while failing to grasp something as rudimentary as supply and demand.

Intellectuals: All engine, no map.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 12:35

The trouble with shelves is that things tend to fall off. Anything I have fixed I have mounted to the walls or roof and not the floor, I dont drill holes in the floor as any wet from bikes or mats or whatever will end up on the floor that you have punctured with fixings. I will add that our walls are aluminium and good to fix to.

I have boxes for storage and everything has a home.

It depends on your stuff and your garage layout really.

Martin

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 12:38

We bought some of those plastic chests with deep slide out drawers... They are fixed to the rear wall and hold all sorts of bits and pieces.
A lightweight, low price solution.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 12:40

My Motorhome: 2001 Benimar 6000sl on Ducato 2.8JTD
As an alternative, maybe consider large stackable boxes.

You can get really big plastic see-through ones with lids.

You can bungee them against front wall of garage to stop sliding about, and you haven't then put holes all over your boot.
They are relatively very lightweight as well....and you can use them at home/in next van too.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 12:48

how's your payload / Axle loadings ?

the plywood will add weight to the camper & give you more usable storage space to encourage you to carry even more "essential" items

I once considered getting some of the plastic storage stack that have 3 or 4 drawers

at the moment I just use cardboard boxes

wilko draw unit

would be nice to see what you settle on as I could do with some inspiration to organise mine
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 12:48

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 610
this topic has come up many times - do a search on something like "garage storage" and you'll find a few threads, with many have pictures of various solutions

and the Lord said unto John "come forth and receive eternal life". but John came fifth and won a toaster........
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 13:40

My Motorhome: Dethleffs
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 15:33 Thread Starter

Thanks all for your prompt responses.

Have taken on board about fixing to the floor. It will be against a furniture board partition with the main area of the van so I might fix against it and the ceiling and leave the floor untouched.

Payload was a consideration, although I have an unladen mass of 2920, a MRO of 3141 and a MTPM of 3850, and we don't carry anything like a scooter so I am reasonably happy on the weight front. I was looking at reducing weight by using 3mm ply and bracing with 12mmx12mm batons, but decided that 6mm should do in the end as I can screw straight into the shelves.

My plan to stop anything falling out is that it will be against the inside wall of the van so will only fall out on acceleration, not braking and also I was thinking about maybe having a mesh luggage net stretched across the front. I looked at the Fiamm shelves, but not sure they are bespoke enough for what I want. I am a bit of a tidy freak and want a place for everything and everything in it's place and also to make use of every scrap of space.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 00:58

My Motorhome: Burstner solano t727
Hi try IKEA plastic lightweight containers they are called TROONS just fitted four in my garage narrow so don't take up a lot of garage width but storage is good
James

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page