Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   My Motorhome Mods (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/239-my-motorhome-mods/)
-   -   Shelving the rear garage (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/239-my-motorhome-mods/120955-shelving-rear-garage.html)

PF13 02-07-2014 11:21

Shelving the rear garage

I am thinking of shelving the rear garage. Want to build some shelves against the inside wall to hold all the stuff so that the rest is clear to get the bikes in and out without too much hassle.

I am planning on using 6mm ply. Has anyone any experience of doing this? What about attaching to the Bailey Alu-Tec floor, and issues with that?

Any help much appreciated!

GEMMY 02-07-2014 11:48

VanFlair 02-07-2014 12:35

The trouble with shelves is that things tend to fall off. Anything I have fixed I have mounted to the walls or roof and not the floor, I dont drill holes in the floor as any wet from bikes or mats or whatever will end up on the floor that you have punctured with fixings. I will add that our walls are aluminium and good to fix to.

I have boxes for storage and everything has a home.

It depends on your stuff and your garage layout really.

Martin

alphadee 02-07-2014 12:38

We bought some of those plastic chests with deep slide out drawers... They are fixed to the rear wall and hold all sorts of bits and pieces.
A lightweight, low price solution. :)

TheNomad 02-07-2014 12:40

As an alternative, maybe consider large stackable boxes.

You can get really big plastic see-through ones with lids.

You can bungee them against front wall of garage to stop sliding about, and you haven't then put holes all over your boot.
They are relatively very lightweight as well....and you can use them at home/in next van too.

trek 02-07-2014 12:48

how's your payload / Axle loadings ?

the plywood will add weight to the camper & give you more usable storage space to encourage you to carry even more "essential" items

I once considered getting some of the plastic storage stack that have 3 or 4 drawers

at the moment I just use cardboard boxes :(

wilko draw unit

would be nice to see what you settle on as I could do with some inspiration to organise mine

fatbuddha 02-07-2014 12:48

this topic has come up many times - do a search on something like "garage storage" and you'll find a few threads, with many have pictures of various solutions

Zepp 02-07-2014 13:40

PF13 02-07-2014 15:33

Thanks all for your prompt responses.

Have taken on board about fixing to the floor. It will be against a furniture board partition with the main area of the van so I might fix against it and the ceiling and leave the floor untouched.

Payload was a consideration, although I have an unladen mass of 2920, a MRO of 3141 and a MTPM of 3850, and we don't carry anything like a scooter so I am reasonably happy on the weight front. I was looking at reducing weight by using 3mm ply and bracing with 12mmx12mm batons, but decided that 6mm should do in the end as I can screw straight into the shelves.

My plan to stop anything falling out is that it will be against the inside wall of the van so will only fall out on acceleration, not braking and also I was thinking about maybe having a mesh luggage net stretched across the front. I looked at the Fiamm shelves, but not sure they are bespoke enough for what I want. I am a bit of a tidy freak and want a place for everything and everything in it's place and also to make use of every scrap of space.

glenm 03-07-2014 00:58

Hi try IKEA plastic lightweight containers they are called TROONS just fitted four in my garage narrow so don't take up a lot of garage width but storage is good
James