Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Air Conditioning (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/238-air-conditioning/)
-   -   Powering Air Con (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/238-air-conditioning/97248-powering-air-con.html)

dannimac 03-04-2012 20:00

Powering Air Con

Can one of you techie electro types help please with how we power the Dometic Freshlight both on the road and off hook up?

We've phoned Knowepark and they've said we need an inverter to power this on the road. I can't say that I really understand what an inverter does (other than invert 12v to 230v) so I can't argue really but it feels wrong. If you need an inverter, wouldn't they include that in the optional 12v kit?

And what about while static? Would an inverter, a solar panel and an extra battery do it? Or are we talking efoy or genny?

If you don't mind, can we not have any 'don't use air con' posts - we really do need it for our continental tour for the dog.

Many thanks for your help

D

ched999uk 03-04-2012 20:19

OK first thing is first. What wattage does the air con require?

A CA1000 takes 450 watts. If you use an inverter with say 90% efficiency that would need 42amps from your battery per hour!!!!

I don't know if their DC kits are any better but using it without a geny or ehu might be difficult.

Hope that helps a little?

dannimac 03-04-2012 20:55

The blurb says that the power consumption is 950 / 1200 watts

D

aldra 03-04-2012 21:05

We have the Dometic Freshlight

and I stand to be corrected

but I think it can be used on on the road with a special kit, having said that we have air conditioning in the van so never fitted it

Requires a 250 generator, we have a 29 gas Dometic, because it was quieter and lighter

But if its any consolation its a fabulous bit of kit

We love it

Aldra

Mandale 03-04-2012 21:17

To install correctly an inverter costs lots of money.
If an inverter kit is available from Dometic then buy it.

We fitted a Dometic 1600+air-con with the Dometic inverter kit and one 110 battery and it works for about 1hour 20mins without engine running.

I would advise you to also buy a separate split charging unit and keep the inverter battery separate from your leisure battery system.

They cost lots of money and are very inefficent. The inverter we fit had 200amp fuses and that means very heavy and expensive wire.

If you can do without it, I would.

ched999uk 03-04-2012 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannimac
The blurb says that the power consumption is 950 / 1200 watts

D

So you would be looking at well over 100amps per hour from a 12v battery via an inverter!!!! So out of a 'normal' 110Ah battery you could run it for less than an hour before the battery is dead! If you completely discharge a battery it will kill it very quickly.

The air con would only draw 950 watts when it was cooling. Once the motorhome reaches the cooled temp the air con would cut in and out to maintain the cool temp.

I would try and speak to Dometic and ask about their DC kits for on the move.

Personally I would say the only way you are going to run it while stationary is with a geny of some sort.

But there are people with much more knowledge out there than me.

Mandale 03-04-2012 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by aldra
We have the Dometic Freshlight

and I stand to be corrected

but I think it can be used on on the road with a special kit, having said that we have air conditioning in the van so never fitted it

Requires a 250 generator, we have a 29 gas Dometic, because it was quieter and lighter

But if its any consolation its a fabulous bit of kit

We love it

Aldra

Generator is always a better option!

nukeadmin 03-04-2012 21:49

If you want AC when wild camping the only good way to do it is to use a gennie ;)

dannimac 03-04-2012 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandale

Generator is always a better option!

Hi Mandale - can you clarify please? Better option than....?

Cheers

D

dannimac 03-04-2012 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by nukeadmin
If you want AC when wild camping the only good way to do it is to use a gennie ;)

OK, thanks, Nuke, that's fairly clear. What kind of power gennie would I need?

I know an Efoy is expensive but I want to be fairly independent. Would an Efoy have enough power for the AC?

Aldra, think I'll check out yours if it is quieter.

D