Recommended Habitation Air Conditioning Units - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 17-12-2012, 12:22

Send a message via MSN to premiermotorhomes
If you did want to wild camp, then an air con unit won't be suitable.

They are mains appliances, with the option of an DC kit to enable them to operate from 12V through an inverter. This system is expensive, and is designed to be take power from the alternator through your leisure batteries. Standard wet batteries would not be able to accomodate the draw of these units, and would shorten their life drastically and it wouldn't operate for very long at all.

The Dometic installers manuals advises us to check the output of the alternator relative to the choice of air conditioner and its required draw. If it is not sufficient then the alternator would have to be uprated also.

Regard,s
Chris

Chichester, West Sussex, PO20 7BU 01243 511189

Members of Checkatrade, Trading Standards Buy With Confidence. NCC Approved Dealership & Approved Workshop.

If my post has helped you, please click thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 17-12-2012, 13:01

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Had one in the previous van (Dometic)

In three years ownership we used it ONCE Certainly cooled the van down but it was bloody noisey !!

I have thought about one of these at £450

http://www.coolmycamper.com/

Has anyone here ever used one?? At a third of the price of a fixed unit and being totally portable I reckon it has to be a better value purchase and I am tempted !!

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, itís in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 17-12-2012, 13:19

My Motorhome: 2013 Hymer 680 MB
Thank you for the link Mrplodd, been after something for the animals.

tony

WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion

Academia and government artificially select for particular traits, among which is a lack of life experience. This is why it's possible for a person to be exceptionally bright while failing to grasp something as rudimentary as supply and demand.

Intellectuals: All engine, no map.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 17-12-2012, 17:45
ned

aircon

We purcahsed one of these units when they were marketed by cool campers of Lutterworth Leics. Did they work........... well yes..... in a sense. They were originally designed for caravans in italy and there in lies the rub...

The system comprises of two units 450 x 450 x 225 (roughly) one part hangs from the window on the outside of the van and the other stands on a convenient surface inside the van. Simples...... wellllllllll
er no. The two units are connected by a thick six tubed umbilical cord which is permanently connected. It transfers the coolant from the outside unit to the fan part inside unit. It is not very flexible and is only about a metre long which in itself causes a problem as to where you can put the inside unit in the van. The next conundrum is that the system for suspending the outside unit is designed for italian continental caravans. Motorhome walls are about twice as thick and with cassette blind on the inside the 'adjustable' brackets/hooks just are not big enough by about 20mm. I had to design and manufacture my own to fit the Autotrail 660 that we had at that time. The only place we could store it was in the shower as these two units, coupled with the cord was quite a size and you have to carry both units at once and then set them up. OK if you were on a site for a few days and well worth it as when the temp outside was at 38degs (Spain) we could get the inside temp down to 17-18degs.

It was quite quiet just like the overhead rooflight fans when you were asleep and the main beauty was that it only drew off 3.5amps at full power which was great if we had to run off our 1kw honda genny or, more to the point running off 6amps on a Spanish campsite.

Ours lasted about two years but it was our fault as you need to run these things regularly in order to keep them up to scratch. I left ours in the loft for 14 months and it wasn't a happy bunny when it came out of hibernation.I took it to a couple of Aircon companies for resuscitation but their quotes were more than the whole unit was originally purchased for.

AS we have a dog, like others on the forum, I next managed to buy an aircon freestanding unit from a Sainsburys sale for £90. Although this still has to go in the shower for storage it is a lot more robust. It still only draws 4amps at full power and I did have to work out a way of taking the very flexible exhaust trunking out through a window but it works fine and we can use it at home in the conservatory.

The coolcamper works fine if you logically set it up well but I found it a bit of a pain, especially if you want it up and running for one oe two days. I suppose it is a bit like.... Do I want satellite TV signal then do I pay £150 and resign myself to fiddly setting up each time or splash out on an automatic dome or dish?

A bit long winded............. but PM me if you want further information

Keep em waxed Ned
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 17-12-2012, 17:58

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
We have used ours twice in the almost five years we have had the van. Underfloor Dometic.

Being away in Spain. France and Germany and mainly wild camping or using aires we have found that even when we can get a hook up they generally won't run the air con, too few amps available.

I wouldn't bother with it in a new van, Alan.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 17-12-2012, 18:03

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
Yes we found it great in Italy for the dog especially in Venice

We had to leave him

And people on site kept an eye out

Not a muff

And a very cool dog on return

aldra
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 14:41

hi just wondering if any one as a aircon for sale many thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page