Phillip Island Farce. Don't Read If Not Seen. - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-10-2013, 19:36 Thread Starter

Phillip Island Farce. Don't Read If Not Seen.

Just caught up on viewing the Australian Round at Phillip Island.

What a farce! Could anyone follow it? The commentators couldn't so what chance did we have?

A pit stop in the middle of the race, and a speed limit all the way to the end of the pit straight, so that slow traffic joined bikes at race speed!! Recipe for disaster if ever I saw it.

Poor Marques. Black flagged.

Great race by Cal, but what chance will he have next year on the Duke?

Roger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-10-2013, 19:51

Re: Phillips Island Farce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof20
What a farce! Could anyone follow it? The commentators couldn't so what chance did we have?

Poor Marques.

Great race by Cal, but what chance will he have next year on the Duke?

Roger
Tyres a problem here and in Formula 1. Maybe the manufacturers have too little development time between races now.

If the Dukes make so little progress this year, he'll be better where he is, unless he can find the the extra edge as Casey Stoner did. A case of wait and see.

Winning the title is just a matter of time for Marques.

Norman ŽnŽ Liz
Moving on
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-10-2013, 20:40

My Motorhome: Carthago
The organisers and Dorna did what they thought best in view of the likely safety issue of the rear tyres not being able to last the planned race distance, from rider feedback (and they are the ones that need to be listened to unlike F1 drivers on similar subject).
So from a spectator point of view it may not have been an ideal solution, what action would you suggest cancel the meeting?
It was made clear to everyone before the start of the race what the revised format would be.
I do not know which coverage you watched so do not know the commentators you refer to.
I watched it live via the BBC coverage and whilst there were quite a lot of comments regarding the understanding of various aspects they were completely sure of the instructions as to when bikes should be changed!
Half of the Honda pit team managed to get it right (Pedrosa) as did virtually all of the other riders, the reason Marques was black flagged was because he did not comply with clearly set out instructions, whether it was his or his pit teams fault I do not know but hard done by he is not. He is a brilliant talent and will undoubtedly become World champion at some point in the future, probably this year unless his luck runs out and he gets hurt the next time he falls.

John

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-10-2013, 21:06 Thread Starter

I fully understood the reasons for the pit stop, but how dangerous was it to impose the pit straight speed limit right up to the point of almost joining the track.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that F1 cars are given sufficient distance to accelerate to race speed before joining the track after leaving the pit lane.

There was nearly a disaster with contact between the two bikes sufficient to dislodge some bit of ironmongery from someone's bike,

Roger
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-10-2013, 21:41

My Motorhome: Carthago
Whether or not the pit lane exit speed limit was dangerous or a good idea or not is a matter of opinion, the people that imposed it did it I'm sure because they thought it the best solution.
Yes F1 cars do have an acceleration lane attached to the pit exit with clearly defined lineage to separate those on the racing line and those re-joining, the layout of which and the rules governing its use have evolved over many years of cars requiring multiple pit stops.
Racing motorcycles normally have no such requirements unless its an endurance event, so the entire farce as you refer to it had to be conceived at very short notice with the facilities available.
The coming together you refer to was between Marques who was re-joining the track and Lorenzo who was in the lead of the race and also eventual winner the hardware you refer to was most likely a piece of plastic, although that is a guess.

John
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-10-2013, 22:45 Thread Starter

Not just a matter of opinion I would say John but a matter of fact as evidenced by the contact.

Not just myself calling it a farce, see here and Google it:- (When I wrote it I wasn't aware of these articles)

Farce One

And a prophetic article written before the race:-

Farce 2

And the same guy's verdict on the whole 'Omnishambles':-

Omnishambles

Didn't spoil my enjoyment though. Happy racing.

Roger
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 22-10-2013, 07:25

My personal opinion, ( and it is just that ) is that the main farsical element was the fact that Bridgestone didn't or couldn't test on the track with a newly laid asphalt resulting in them arriving at the track on race weekend with tyres that were unfit for purpose i.e. a greater build up of heat in the internals of the tyre,

Race control were left with no option apart from trying to find a way to ensure the race was run in a safe manner after the Bridgestone techies had briefed them on tyre life issues and in my opinion, they took the best one, and i am certain that some of the senior riders were consulted for their opinions on the matter,

As to the Marquez black flag, from what i can glean, it was a call made by Marquez and his team, whether they actually believed that they could pit before the start of the eleventh lap and get away with it , we will probably never know, in my opinion, they were trying it on and hoping that the might of honda could over power race direction,

As for the lengthened pit lane speed limit, i think it was a poor idea bordering on dangerous but the clash with Lorenzo was six of one and half dozen the other, He braked too late or too early and ended up on an unexpected line, marquez didnt expect him to be there but he should have checked, as much as you can check when you are wrestling one of those machines .

I think most of the commentators confusion was caused by the penalty for Pedrosa, even Vale was unsure if he was second or third after the race.

Slightly off topic, but the BSB last race was a fitting end to a hard season with the best 2 riders dicing it out in very challenging conditions. And for the you tube / live leak savvy people, Laverty pulled off the best overtake of the year so far on Melandri..And congrats to Sykesy that lad had put in years of mega had graft in adversity to win that title.

As i said above just my opinions ,

Mick
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 22-10-2013, 08:18

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,103 Times in 1,040 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
I think the pit stop was a good idea, it did add a bit of excitement, but it should have been at the riders discretion & not all at once, it could have been a right old pile up.

As for the black flag, well he has only himself to blame, most people can count to ten.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 22-10-2013, 08:32

i think Marquez as made this seasons moto gp racing worth watching.
Gutted for Scott Redding breaking his wrist been a good end to the season if he could have took it to the wire
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 22-10-2013, 08:56

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,103 Times in 1,040 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
I keep thinking of Ellisons rodeo riding, how did he get away with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page