Electric bikes - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 15-04-2017, 17:55

My Motorhome: 2000 Autotrail Mohican on Sprinter base
Personal Aire
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
I wonder how far 250w would propel 18st, I suspect not far if there's a hill involved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 15-04-2017, 17:59

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Well it manages pretty well with my 17 stone!!

Providing you pedal with the same effort as you do on the flat the motor provides enough extra grunt to ascend most hills! Clearly the more you use it the quicker you run out of battery but over the years I have never "run out" of battery power.

Andy
Pudsey_Bear and Pudsey_Bear like this.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if itís in a caravan!) I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 15-04-2017, 19:13 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer E650
I spoke to justbikes and they said motor falls within 250w
They describe the batteries in watts but looking closer it is watt/hour.
the 600w is ION 600 Series
High Performance Lithium Ion 612 Wh (36V/17 Amp)
Just looking at the moment, the bikes are £2700 each, hence the question on here. Am advised that charge from empty to full is 5 hours on the 600 on a mains charge, if multiplied by two bikes that could be a problem as we are often not on mains..
Saw some bike racks in Germany recently that had a charging point affixed/built into rack powered from hook up that powered light board. same connection as your caravan hookup, charge on the go, may help as that is presumably powered from alternator.
As i said we are still doing research, but the bike i rode which was the previous model the sparta RXS was amazing.

Ian
Grizzly, Grizzly, astartup and 1 others like this.

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 15-04-2017, 19:24 Thread Starter

These are their figures for battery/mileage
The following ranges (Km) are achievable under normal riding conditions, the minimum range guide is applicable when you’re in hilly and or stop-start environments, the maximum range guide is applicable for flat and open terrain.

The following ranges (Km) are achievable under normal riding conditions, the minimum range guide is applicable when you’re in hilly and or stop-start environments, the maximum range guide is applicable for flat and open terrain.

POWER SETTING 300Wh Battery 400Wh Battery 500Wh Battery 600Wh Battery
ECO 70-135 90-175 115-220 135-260 CRUISE 50-100 70-130 85-165 100-195 TOUR 35-70 45-90 60-115 70-135 SPORT 30-55 40-75 50-95 60-110 POWER 25-50 35-70 45-85 50-100
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 15-04-2017, 20:04
EJB

My Motorhome: Burstner Nexxo t620G
I am amazed at the quoted 11Kg weight.
The lightest in the adverts is described as 'Ultra Light Weight' at 21.5Kg. (With or without a battery??)

Perhaps I am simply looking at the wrong bikes?

We had a good look at them in Rotterdam last year and apart from cost and weight they are fantastic....I did pick a few up to check.

However there isn't a better e-bike on the market with the above reservations

Ted.
I try and state simple facts in a nice way.
The Following User Says Thank You to EJB For This Useful Post:
icer (16-04-2017)
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 16-04-2017, 06:24

My Motorhome: 2000 Autotrail Mohican on Sprinter base
Personal Aire
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
The figure you really need is the input required for charging, which should be on the charger itself, once you know the wattage required you can them know if the inverter and battery bank you have is big enough or if it needs upgrading, and if not driving much, if you need a Solar Panel or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pudsey_Bear For This Useful Post:
icer (16-04-2017)
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 16-04-2017, 09:21

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Don't forget that unless you completely flatten the batteries they will not need anything like 5 hrs charging. Mine usually take about an hour to two hours max.

They do seem rather expensive at £2700 each. You will need to check you can get insurance to cover them whilst attached/in you MH. Most insurance companies have a max value on bikes and I suspect they will really hammer you for over £5000 worth. Worth checking first. Personally, I wouldn't spend that sort of money, have a look at "Giant" make, excellent machines for a lot less.

Another point that you need to think about is whether the motor is in the back or front wheel. If it's in the front you need to be VERY careful on loose or slippery surfaces because if you are under power and turning at all the front wheel can easily slide out from under you. I have a couple of friends with FWD leccy bikes and they have both had that happen a couple of times (one ending up in a French hospital with a broken elbow) We have a couple of RWD bikes and never had that issue. I have tried their FWD bikes and I can see how easy it would be to "lose" the front wheel on cobbles, gravel, railway lines, manhole covers etc because there is a lot of power going through the front wheel. Just something else bear in mind before purchasing.

Andy

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if itís in a caravan!) I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrplodd For This Useful Post:
icer (16-04-2017)
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 16-04-2017, 10:27

Something else that comes to mind to look at and see if you are happy with. Check that the controls ( different assist levels etc) are easy to use when you are riding the bike. If you plan to ride in winter- as I do- then make sure you can alter the assist level when wearing gloves ( I can't). Fingerless mitts are the other option but the tips of your fingers go blue. Can you either see the assist level display, without crashing, when you are riding or is it easy to alter without looking down ?

G
The Following User Says Thank You to Grizzly For This Useful Post:
icer (16-04-2017)
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 16-04-2017, 12:00 Thread Starter

Andy they are rear wheel drive
good point re charge time if not depleted
EJB agree about weight I picked it up and although it had battery in it was much heavier than 11kg. his figures must be wrong but he was speaking english perhaps he meant 21kg... When i spoke to just bikes they said that weight with 600wh battery was 25kg. Interestingly the head unit is matched to engine and coded so the bike is immobilised when off and on european database. the bike lock is built into the frame as well.
Altogether a very well made bike that has received the ultimate accolades in the industry in price range. And yes they are very expensive so we are looking very carefully. I already have a bike/motorbike attachment which takes up to 150kg but I will probably have to alter it a bit as I don't really want to strap them down like I do with my knackered old bikes.
G... good point re winter/cold use of assist level, they seemed pretty easy but will try with gloves on before we decide.
Kev.. agreed will have to look re charging values as well. we have 150w of solar panels, could possibly go to 200 but not more than that as Electroblock will only take 10A and I want to maintain that set up as it charges engine battery as well.
Lots to think about

Ian
Pudsey_Bear and Pudsey_Bear like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page